Suns @ Nuggets Friday game thread 1-1-2021

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sit Paul tonight. Second night of a back to back at high altitude I’m not worried about it.

I don’t care about the start of the season I care about the end

I agree. Yesterday’s game pretty well hammered home that we have a playoff team, and HCA probably won’t mean much this year anyway. Plus getting Cam Payne more reps is a good idea, and uh we could still easily win lmao.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Was just looking at the stats, and Mikal, Cam Johnson, and Cam Payne have been amazingly good so far.

They are by far our three most efficient players, and Cam Johnson and Mikal are both top 30 players efficiency wise so far this year.

Actually the main thing I got from looking at the numbers is the Cam's are not getting enough minutes.

The Cams are going to slot in to CP/JC’s spots in a couple years.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
How much load management did he have in HOU and OKC? When asked about load management, CP3 said before the season that if he was healthy he was going to play. He was not in favor of load management at all.
Most injuries happen from fluke plays anyways and will not necessarily be avoided from load management. If he is feeling fit and ready to go than he should be out there. If he is feeling a little worn down physically during the game I trust him to ask to get Cam more minutes.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree but if the Suns are healthy let them play.

I'm more concerned about load management later in the season when players tend to get fatigued. Load management is less of a concern after only 5 games.

Besides all wins count the same. Easier to rest a player with a playoff spot secured.

One of the things the Suns have going for them is that they are in better shape than opponents right now. Of course they have depth as well.

This is a good point. Denver made it far last year and they don’t seem to have their legs back.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How much load management did he have in HOU and OKC? When asked about load management, CP3 said before the season that if he was healthy he was going to play. He was not in favor of load management at all.

He broke down in Hou with hamstring problem: literally load damage. He was load managed last year quite a bit in that he let SGA and DS run the squad until winning time when he took over. He’s more of the primary ball handler for us. We should rest him when he doesn’t want to be; he doesn’t know best.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Most injuries happen from fluke plays anyways and will not necessarily be avoided from load management. If he is feeling fit and ready to go than he should be out there. If he is feeling a little worn down physically during the game I trust him to ask to get Cam more minutes.

CP’s injury history is almost entirely wear and tear.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
CP’s injury history is almost entirely wear and tear.
I suppose I'm more talking about the stuff that will have him missing serious time. Not a sore knee where he might have to sit a couple games.

That being said there is no one better to know if his knee/body needs to get some rest than Paul himself. If he feels he is completely fit and healthy for the game than you let him out there and if he is dealing with soreness or any sort of pain than you can make that call to sit him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns play 16 games in 30 days in January. It's brutal and I thought December was tough. Whoever made up the schedule didn't do the Suns any favors.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The Suns play 16 games in 30 days in January. It's brutal and I thought December was tough. Whoever made up the schedule didn't do the Suns any favors.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I mean the season is 146 days long (140 when you add in the 6 day all star break) and every team has to play 72 games in that time frame.

So 16 games in 31 days seems about right when you consider that. Just about 1 game every other day.

Also looking at the game lineup for January I see that we only have to travel for one of our back to backs and 2 of our back to backs will be home/home back to backs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He broke down in Hou with hamstring problem: literally load damage. He was load managed last year quite a bit in that he let SGA and DS run the squad until winning time when he took over. He’s more of the primary ball handler for us. We should rest him when he doesn’t want to be; he doesn’t know best.

I'm okay with getting Paul some extra rest but with the shortened preseason it just seems too early. Looking at our schedule this month, I don't think I'd sit him until the Warriors game on the 15th and/or perhaps the first night of a back to back in Denver near the end of the month.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean the season is 146 days long (140 when you add in the 6 day all star break) and every team has to play 72 games in that time frame.

So 16 games in 31 days seems about right when you consider that. Just about 1 game every other day.

Also looking at the game lineup for January I see that we only have to travel for one of our back to backs and 2 of our back to backs will be home/home back to backs.

Personally I think playing this many games in such a short period is too hard on the human body. Basketball is a strenuous game. We have already seen a number of injuries around the NBA and the scheduling doesn't help.

My guess it all has to do with finishing the NBA season in time to prepare for the summer Olympics. This will also put undue stress on those who participate. If basketball was eliminated from the Olympics this time around I would be perfectly happy or let those in college represent the country.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Personally I think playing this many games in such a short period is too hard on the human body. Basketball is a strenuous game. We have already seen a number of injuries around the NBA and the scheduling doesn't help.

My guess it all has to do with finishing the NBA season in time to prepare for the summer Olympics. This will also put undue stress on those who participate. If basketball was eliminated from the Olympics this time around I would be perfectly happy or let those in college represent the country.
I agree that it is a lot of games in a short amount of time. I was more so responding to the part where you said "Whoever made up the schedule didn't do the Suns any favors".

I suspect a lot of teams are staring at pretty similar tough and busy schedules. The Lakers for instance play 16 games in January and have to travel for 2 back to backs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That probably played into it but my understanding is that it had more to do with jeopardizing TV revenues. A January start, which the players union pushed for, would have hurt the league and their TV partners by putting the Postseason up against the Olympics. And keep in mind, while it is a quick turnaround for a few teams, the layoff wasn't that extreme for teams like Phoenix and for the teams that didn't go to the bubble it's been an inordinately long layoff.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t care if my 35 year old PG in his 16th season plays on the second nights of back to backs 5 games into the season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

total agreement.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that it is a lot of games in a short amount of time. I was more so responding to the part where you said "Whoever made up the schedule didn't do the Suns any favors".

I suspect a lot of teams are staring at pretty similar tough and busy schedules. The Lakers for instance play 16 games in January and have to travel for 2 back to backs.

Although the Suns second back-to-back series is split between between New Year's Eve and New Years Day they are already on their second.

The Suns have 3 back to back series in January not counting the above and play 16 games as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That probably played into it but my understanding is that it had more to do with jeopardizing TV revenues. A January start, which the players union pushed for, would have hurt the league and their TV partners by putting the Postseason up against the Olympics. And keep in mind, while it is a quick turnaround for a few teams, the layoff wasn't that extreme for teams like Phoenix and for the teams that didn't go to the bubble it's been an inordinately long layoff.

As I mentioned, the Olympics is still a big part of it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
There is a fine line that has to be walked here. It would not be a great look if Paul feels fit and healthy to play and your telling him he can't play anyways. If they are that worried about it they also have the option of simply giving Payne more minutes in back to back situations. That along with the fact that offense still goes through Book quite a bit means they can do similar things as OKC did last year.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Although the Suns second back-to-back series is split between between New Year's and New Years Day they are already on their second.

The Suns have 3 back to back series in January not counting the above and play 16 games as well.
And 2 of their back to backs are at home where they will be able to go sleep in their own beds with no travel. That is absolutely a benefit for better recovery I would imagine.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And 2 of their back to backs are at home where they will be able to go sleep in their own beds with no travel. That is absolutely a benefit for better recovery I would imagine.

I'm not wanting to quibble over details. The Suns have a tough schedule in January and December wasn't easy either.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm not wanting to quibble over details. The Suns have a tough schedule in January and December wasn't easy either.
My point isn't to say that the Suns don't have a tough schedule. My point is simply that they aren't the only ones. The way this season has been scheduled as a whole is just going to be tough for pretty much every team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point isn't to say that the Suns don't have a tough schedule. My point is simply that they aren't the only ones. The way this season has been scheduled as a whole is just going to be tough for pretty much every team.

Agree the Suns are not the only ones who have a tough schedule but I believe they jumped into it quicker than most teams.

This Utah- Colorado trip is a tough one and they already played a back-to-back series with the Kings and 3 more to look forward too in January.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Cam Johnson is quickly becoming my favorite player. How do you not love this guy. Underdog from day 1
Agreed. Very Dan Majerle-ish in that regard. CJ just comes in and puts in the work. He's blossoming before our very eyes.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Sit Paul tonight. Second night of a back to back at high altitude I’m not worried about it.

Does high altitude make one more prone to injury?

Paul's load is already being managed: he's at 28 mpg, compared to 35 for his career. Play him any less, and there's hardly a point to having him on the active roster at all. He gets paid too much to be only an assistant coach.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson