Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones will do his due diligence in evaluating players before the draft but he is open to the idea of moving up if the opportunity presents itself.

“There are a lot of good players at the top of the draft. A lot of them that you could consider worthy of a trade up,” said Jones when asked if Morant is someone the Suns would trade up for.

"Would we do it? I’m open to everything, but right now, we’re just moving forward with the focus on evaluating the guys at the top of the draft.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rward-after-falling-draft-lottery/3699795002/

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
James Jones will do his due diligence in evaluating players before the draft but he is open to the idea of moving up if the opportunity presents itself.

“There are a lot of good players at the top of the draft. A lot of them that you could consider worthy of a trade up,” said Jones when asked if Morant is someone the Suns would trade up for.

"Would we do it? I’m open to everything, but right now, we’re just moving forward with the focus on evaluating the guys at the top of the draft.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...rward-after-falling-draft-lottery/3699795002/
That's good to hear. Looks like the top three teams like their landing spot, though. After that, say we don't get Garret, there's plenty other PGs similar faults left. Why move up from 6 to 4? or 5?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's good to hear. Looks like the top three teams like their landing spot, though. After that, say we don't get Garret, there's plenty other PGs similar faults left. Why move up from 6 to 4? or 5?
The only reason would be because some other team is trying to move ahead of us.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe Jones is keeping his options open. It could be the Suns might be looking at another position than point guard early in the draft.

I keep thinking about Shamorie Ponds in the second round.

OP
OP
boisesuns

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
We will? Every important piece on this team is 23 years old and under.

what I’m saying is that we finally have a couple pieces to build around, and rather than trying to develop new people to compliment them, we should find someone that is ready to step in and turn us into at least a playoff contender.

I’m also implying that I think there’s only a few “un-replaceable ” guys on the roster.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what I’m saying is that we finally have a couple pieces to build around, and rather than trying to develop new people to compliment them, we should find someone that is ready to step in and turn us into at least a playoff contender.

I’m also implying that I think there’s only a few “un-replaceable ” guys on the roster.

This year? Do you have someone in mind that could do that? I think no matter who we add, our improvement will come more from the development of those already here. It would be nice to find a ready-to-go contributor or two but I doubt we'll be able to add someone that will "turn us" from a 19 win team to a playoff contender.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This year? Do you have someone in mind that could do that? I think no matter who we add, our improvement will come more from the development of those already here. It would be nice to find a ready-to-go contributor or two but I doubt we'll be able to add someone that will "turn us" from a 19 win team to a playoff contender.

Only a guess but I think Boise is talking about adding a player that can help the Suns compete for a playoff spot.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Only a guess but I think Boise is talking about adding a player that can help the Suns compete for a playoff spot.

What he means is we have enough kids and projects to develop. We need some established talent to balance the roster, set an example for the young kids and teach them how to win, and make the team at least respectable and competitive. Just adding more and more youth isn't going to get us out of this vicious cycle of horrendous play.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Yes, we do have pieces to build around, but our pieces are still young and developing. Keep adding pieces and continue to grow. Dont try to shortcut the process. Once our guys are fully developed, we dont want holes on the roster that need filled because we plugged them with aging vets hoping we could make an 8 seed.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
On Bickley and Morada, they were pie in the sky thinking we have a chance to land Kyrie Irving. The other option was Mike Conley.

OP
OP
boisesuns

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
What he means is we have enough kids and projects to develop. We need some established talent to balance the roster, set an example for the young kids and teach them how to win, and make the team at least respectable and competitive. Just adding more and more youth isn't going to get us out of this vicious cycle of horrendous play.

What he said

OP
OP
boisesuns

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Yes, we do have pieces to build around, but our pieces are still young and developing. Keep adding pieces and continue to grow. Dont try to shortcut the process. Once our guys are fully developed, we dont want holes on the roster that need filled because we plugged them with aging vets hoping we could make an 8 seed.

I guess it comes down to fit, and I’m wondering if there’s a fit that’s more proven. Not a superstar, but some of these role players who seem to fit perfectly on other teams

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We need a scouting department. Maybe bring over a euro player? Hey, I am just grasping at pg straws.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I interpreted "someone" to mean someone.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I think the franchise is in real trouble. The league needs to get involved. If an owner is in over his head, help fix it

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the franchise is in real trouble. The league needs to get involved. If an owner is in over his head, help fix it

The Suns should be much improved over previous seasons providing James Jones plays his cards right. They have a respected head coach and a GM that looks to be a an improvement.

Their most pressing need is to find a point guard to compliment Booker and Ayton.

Oubre will be a solid third piece if the Suns keep him in free agency.

Power forward is a need as well but they should be able to improve this position.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's wishful thinking. Sarver is an idiot but right now he might not be the worst owner in the league. The Buss family and what they've been doing with the Lakers is something the league would get involved with before Phoenix. Sarver hired 2 guys that are seen as good hires around the league and so long as he stays hands off they should have a chance at succeeding under their new coach, who is highly regarded amongst league executives, coaches, and players.

They wouldn't get involved before the lottery screwed us and they definitely won't step up to help after it did it's damage. Other teams around the league would throw a fit, and I wouldn't blame them. I know we wouldn't be happy if the Lakers were in our shoes and the league stepped in to help them get back to contention for the playoffs.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You don't think that if we come up with an NBA Point Guard to take pressure off Booker . . .

and if we come up with a real Power Forward to take pressure off Ayton
instead of the Small Forwards he's been playing next to . . .

we could compete for a playoff spot?

Which would be our best hope of the decade in becoming winners?

It is much easier to make a bad team good than a good team elite.

Following the too many Point Guards/not enough Point Guards &
all drafted Power Forwards/no Power Forwards syndromes.

Adding the Point Guard and Power Forward would improve four positions in
the starting lineup. That would be pretty significant in moving forward.

And some of the people we're counting on now to start could move to the
bench to give us a complete team. Except for Warren who has to go.

Perhaps we'll bring in Jim Reeves to whisper in Jones' ear, "And you can
tell your friend there with you, he'll have to go."
:rolleyes:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It is what it is. We will be lucky to get a veteran PG. Will they be that much better then Tyler Johnson? Maybe not. As fans we will have to deal with it. The best we can do is probably Jrue if we can get a trade. I am betting he stays to play with Zion. After that, if people want a PG, it will be guys that are not needle movers. I am a little more hopeful at PF.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't think that if we come up with an NBA Point Guard to take pressure off Booker . . .

and if we come up with a real Power Forward to take pressure off Ayton
instead of the Small Forwards he's been playing next to . . .

we could compete for a playoff spot?

Which would be our best hope of the decade in becoming winners?

It is much easier to make a bad team good than a good team elite.

Following the too many Point Guards/not enough Point Guards &
all drafted Power Forwards/no Power Forwards syndromes.

Adding the Point Guard and Power Forward would improve four positions in
the starting lineup. That would be pretty significant in moving forward.

And some of the people we're counting on now to start could move to the
bench to give us a complete team. Except for Warren who has to go.

Perhaps we'll bring in Jim Reeves to whisper in Jones' ear, "And you can
tell your friend there with you, he'll have to go."
:rolleyes:

I was responding to the word "someone". I don't believe there is a someone that could by himself elevate this team to the playoffs without huge steps forward by the returning cast, in which case it wouldn't be the addition that got us there. But sure, adding 2 starters makes it more doable but it's still unlikely that we will vault from last place to 8th in one season without huge strides from Booker, Ayton, Bridges and even Oubre.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is what it is. We will be lucky to get a veteran PG. Will they be that much better then Tyler Johnson? Maybe not. As fans we will have to deal with it. The best we can do is probably Jrue if we can get a trade. I am betting he stays to play with Zion. After that, if people want a PG, it will be guys that are not needle movers. I am a little more hopeful at PF.
ESPN says Jrue wants out just like AD. NO has a perfect opportunity to build from the ground up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson