Sixers @ Suns 1-2-19

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score
This is a young team, so I expect growing pains and mistakes. Same thing goes with the coach. He is inexperienced so I expect growing pains and mistakes to be made.

I’m actually quite pleased with their recent play as they are showing some heart and hustle each game despite missing a true PG.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is a young team, so I expect growing pains and mistakes. Same thing goes with the coach. He is inexperienced so I expect growing pains and mistakes to be made.

Again, why hire a professional leader you know is not qualified for the job with just the mere hope he eventually becomes qualified?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I’m actually quite pleased with their recent play as they are showing some heart and hustle each game despite missing a true PG.

Save yourself some trouble and the headache and set him to ignore now. He doesn't have anything to back up his rantings. There isn't a single stat he can produce outside of mentioning the team's record to backup his idea that Igor is the worst coach in men's basketball history, at any level. It's been going on since game 2 of the season, prior to that he ranted and raved about the PG's we had on the roster. He'll make you thankful there is an ignore feature. I'd guess 70% of regular posters have him set to ignore. Outside of agreeing with someone with a personal vendetta against Sarver though he thrives on new members engaging with him or someone checking to see if he's still on the same old garbage so they take him off ignore for a day.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
The play has improved but its hard to be pleased with losing four in a row. I know its a young team but that has been the excuse for several years.

The fact that the team is significantly worse this year than it was last season despite adding Ayton does not reflect well on the coach.

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score
Again, why hire a professional leader you know is not qualified for the job with just the mere hope he eventually becomes qualified?

At the end of the day you are left interviewing assistant coaches and ones that were fired like Fizdale and Clifford.

What coaches with a winning percentage and tons of experience did the Suns have a shot at getting?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
At the end of the day you are left interviewing assistant coaches and ones that were fired like Fizdale and Clifford.

What coaches with a winning percentage and tons of experience did the Suns have a shot at getting?

Mike Budenholzer

taz02

All Star
Reaction score

That is the problem

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker yelled out "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" to Okobo.
seconds later he rushed a 30 footer

not one of his finer moments
the moment called for focus. not a scolding

So it was Booker I heard yell. It was pretty loud.

It was so weird both of them lined up parallel and coming down the court that way. Obviously both players could not be out of bounds. I thought Booker got off a better three point shot that might be expected.

Perhaps in the future two scorers coming down the court parallel could be a designed play.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So it was Booker I heard yell. It was pretty loud.

uncomfortably loud. if i recall correctly, Booker started to address Okobo but was just out of camera shot when he yelled. someone who taped it should verify

the announcers commented about the players needing to know the play but i don't know if there was one besides Booker hero-ball anyway

embarrassing the rookie on national tv is not the way to lead a young team
leading is much more than taking all the big shots
hopefully Booker will mature into the role
but if Booker isn't a good leader on the floor
and the one on the bench is highly questionable
it could be a significant source of the team's problems

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Who was that directed at? Was there mention of it or did they cut away quick? I started watching at 3-13 with 8:00 or so minutes to go in the 1st quarter. Embiid played well in what I saw. I shut it off at halftime. Was hoping he wouldn't play but didn't think the Suns would shoot so poorly and also be on the wrong end of so many terrible calls.
No idea who it was directed at. It was right at the top of the broadcast. Very first thing I saw and I did a double take and had to rewind it a couple times to make sure I really saw what I thought I saw. No mention of it. Pretty sure it was a live shot of him and they cut away as soon as they saw what he was doing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
uncomfortably loud. if i recall correctly, Booker started to address Okobo but was just out of camera shot when he yelled. someone who taped it should verify

the announcers commented about the players needing to know the play but i don't know if there was one besides Booker hero-ball anyway

embarrassing the rookie on national tv is not the way to lead a young team
leading is much more than taking all the big shots
hopefully Booker will mature into the role
but if Booker isn't a good leader on the floor
and the one on the bench is highly questionable
it could be a significant source of the team's problems

I think it was more of an emotional thing by Booker in the closing seconds but he has been known to be demonstrative in correcting players before. However, in this situation I think it was understandable.

Okobo has not seen as much playing time as Melton so I wish it was not so conspicuous.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The play has improved but its hard to be pleased with losing four in a row. I know its a young team but that has been the excuse for several years.

The fact that the team is significantly worse this year than it was last season despite adding Ayton does not reflect well on the coach.

I don't think that's accurate (several years) but regardless, this is the youngest team we've had. When you have 10 players whose combined age is 220 years, you're not just young you're incredibly young. Granted, only 9 of those are likely here beyond this season but that's still a lot of inexperience considering NBA players don't hit their peak until 26 or so.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't think that's accurate (several years) but regardless, this is the youngest team we've had. When you have 10 players whose combined age is 220 years, you're not just young you're incredibly young. Granted, only 9 of those are likely here beyond this season but that's still a lot of inexperience considering NBA players don't hit their peak until 26 or so.
And some will peak even later than that as well. James Harden the last couple years is a good example of that.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Feels like several years. Booker was too young then Chris and Bender, then Jackson and now Ayton and Bridges. Don't get me wrong, I know they are very young and it's difficult to win with young guys, but I'm tired of hearing about it.

As for Booker yelling at guys, I'm sure its out of frustration and warranted. However, when he yelled at the coaches the other night, that was a bad sign IMO.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Feels like several years. Booker was too young then Chris and Bender, then Jackson and now Ayton and Bridges. Don't get me wrong, I know they are very young and it's difficult to win with young guys, but I'm tired of hearing about it.

As for Booker yelling at guys, I'm sure its out of frustration and warranted. However, when he yelled at the coaches the other night, that was a bad sign IMO.
I don't buy into that being a bad sign. It was in the heat of the moment right after the play that the opposing team made to tie the game (a game that had no business being tied at that point). If it starts to become a thing where he is giving it to the coaches every time he disagrees with what they are saying than I would consider that a problem.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't buy into that being a bad sign. It was in the heat of the moment right after the play that the opposing team made to tie the game (a game that had no business being tied at that point). If it starts to become a thing where he is giving it to the coaches every time he disagrees with what they are saying than I would consider that a problem.

My guess is that will be inevitable as the team continues to lose and the young players continue not to make progress. This is going to get very ugly, in my opinion...

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think it was more of an emotional thing by Booker in the closing seconds but he has been known to be demonstrative in correcting players before. However, in this situation I think it was understandable.

Okobo has not seen as much playing time as Melton so I wish it was not so conspicuous.

perfectly understandable to react that way -- in your head!
then verbalize it after the game, which was about 15 seconds away
rattled, Booker took, and missed, a shot further out and faster than necessary

and it showed no appreciation to the rookie who was part of the comeback from 30 down while Booker was watching from the bench

sure, Booker could be frustrated with so many rookie mistakes
or overcompensating for lack of leadership from the top
but how you apply your leadership means a lot to how motivated a player is to play with you and for you

"in the heat of the moment" is forgivable in many situations
but not when the moment is crunch-time in professional sports
don't get a T or bitch about any one or any thing in crunch-time
FOCUS

but don't anyone get nervous
i'm still a big Booker fan
i just think he's more in need of leadership than he is ready to lead

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

and it showed no appreciation to the rookie who was part of the comeback from 30 down while Booker was watching from the bench

but how you apply your leadership means a lot to how motivated a player is to play with you and for you

FOCUS

On top of that, the talking heads on the radio are emphasizing Booker's absence from post-game interviews as an unusual and disturbing development.

Take that for what you think it's worth.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah but that's what happens when you decide to build almost from scratch using the draft as your primary tool. There are other ways to build a team but this is the one they decided on 3 seasons ago. And it comes with a cost.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
On top of that, the talking heads on the radio are emphasizing Booker's absence from post-game interviews as an unusual and disturbing development.

Take that for what you think it's worth.
likely explanations:

1. he's too frustrated with the loses to talk about it
2. his honest answers would be critical of his teammates or coach

the thing is, #1 probably applies to every player

Last edited:

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I admit that I don't watch the games too much anymore, but, when I do watch, it seems that Booker does not play well at all. I notice unforced turn overs, seemingly more missed shots (many easy looking) and missed free throws.

I will look at the box score and he will be shooting really bad percentages. He also seems to do a lot of one on one dribbling a lot (s has been noted).

Hopefully, these things improve down the road.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FOCUS

Maybe in a perfect world but Booker and Okobo were both standing out of bounds in the closing seconds.

"In the heat of the moment" and "crunch-time" seemed much the same thing in this situation.

I'm not sure how you wanted Booker to communicate an urgent missed assignment.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson