BB Mock v.1.0

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
1) Malcom Brown – NT – Texas

Has the size, strength and athleticism to be a legitimate force on the interior line. Is an effective penetrater, would be an option that the staff would not have to rotate him out of the lineup on passing downs. Will push Cory Peters immediately for playing time and would be the full time starter at NT next season (or sooner).

"Consistency," Detroit defensive line coach Kris Kocurek, who attended Brown's pro day, said when asked what had stood out on film. "He put together a really consistent year this year from start to finish. That’s what you like to see when you’re evaluating. You like to see the consistency week after week. He put together a really consistent year. You can tell he’s a hard worker."

Alt picks – Todd Gurley – RB – Georgia
Only reason he'd be available at this spot IS the ACL.
Eric Kendricks – ILB – UCLA
Just my favorite player where the Cards are picking.
Cameron Erving – C – FSU
Great fit for the line.

2) Ameer Abdullah – RB – Nebraska

Has very good intangibles and this is a good spot to land a legitimate difference maker. Is explosive and can take it to the house. Needs to improve his ball security skills. But has everything you'd want in a back. Runs physical with excellent vision and moves. Excellent playing speed.

Abdullah posted a score of 142.5, which places him in the 95.6 percentile of NFL players. SPARQ is a formula that factors in each Combine/pro day test along with weight. Northern Iowa's David Johnson was second with a score of 139.7, placing him in the 93.1 percentile. Both were well ahead of their peers.

Alt picks – Breshad Perriman – WR – UCF
Nate Orchard – OLB – Utah
Michael Bennett – DT – Ohio St.
Byron Jones – CB - Connecticut

3) Tyler Lockett – WR – Kansas St.

I saw him absolutely destroy some very good competition last season. He's everything you want in a slot reciever. Wes Welker clone, but even faster. Will also contribute on ST's.

Alt picks – Senquez Golson – CB – Ole Miss
-- Tre Jackson – G – Fla. St.
-- Ali Marpet – G – Hobart

4) Ronald Darby – CB – FSU
"He has a quick low pedal and a quick turn, He has the speed to stay with speed receivers all over the field and he can transition quickly and smoothly. In press coverage he has a good jam and very solid mirror skills. He is similar in zone, in that he consistently keeps good position and shows very good awareness. Darby's upside is that of a good No. 2 CB. "He needs to improve his ball skills and tackling but that shouldn’t be a problem".

5) Lyndon Trail – DE/OLB – Norfolk St.
6) Tyler Varga – FB/ST's - Yale
7) Andy Gallik – C – Boston College
7) Blake Sims – QB - Oklahoma

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I like Malcolm Brown as a player but it seems like the Cards aren't valuing the NT enough to burn a 1st rounder on that position. I think they grab a plugger later on and let him try and stuff the middle on 30% of the plays shared along with T'amalu(sp.)

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I like Malcolm Brown as a player but it seems like the Cards aren't valuing the NT enough to burn a 1st rounder on that position. I think they grab a plugger later on and let him try and stuff the middle on 30% of the plays shared along with T'amalu(sp.)

I think he can do more than be a "stuffer".

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'll puke if we have to spend our 1st-round pick to replace the NT we should have just paid in the first place.
Yes, that makes no sense and is very Rod Graves-ish.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Dumpster Dan's CAP hits 2015-18

$8.0m
$7.5m
$4.5m
$5.0m

Except that isn't the contract he asked for before testing FA; that's the contract he managed to get after we already told him no. Reports had him asking for 4mill a year, which we should have paid without blinking.

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Dumpster Dan's CAP hits 2015-18

$8.0m
$7.5m
$4.5m
$5.0m

Yeah, I think they want to make a play for Peterson still. But at the right deal. It could come into play on draft day.

That could be one of the reasons they decided not to sign The Dumpster. They had a number in mind for him, less than those numbers and he found the deal he wanted.

Not sure about Ta'amu's progress. Like K9 said, not sure if Corey Peters can hold up there (NT). You might be looking at a whole scheme change from a 3-4.

Also I did give alternative picks, btw. I also gave more than a 1st Rd. mock. Discuss ;)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...-gregory-falls-todd-gurley-cracks-first-round

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Except that isn't the contract he asked for before testing FA; that's the contract he managed to get after we already told him no. Reports had him asking for 4mill a year, which we should have paid without blinking.

What we hear can be erroneous. I think his intention was to test the market unless we blew him away. We apparently didn't.

Reaction score
What we hear can be erroneous. I think his intention was to test the market unless we blew him away. We apparently didn't.

Pretty much what Urban said in his Birds of a Feather Q & A. He knew he was going to get paid.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'll puke if we have to spend our 1st-round pick to replace the NT we should have just paid in the first place.

Agree. The last person I want to draft is a DT in the first round. I would be pissed as well.

Unless they view the replacement as a clear upgrade. It was clear they viewed Williams as nothing more than a part time player who didn't add much value on third down. Williams got paid more than they thought he was worth so they moved on. If they think Brown has more versatility and adds value on all downs and is the best player available then I have no problem with them taking him.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The cardinals are going to draft someone who can get to the QB with their 1st pick. Unless someone like Jamie Winston or Kevin White by some miracle drops all the way to the #24 pick.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The cardinals are going to draft someone who can get to the QB with their 1st pick. Unless someone like Jamie Winston or Kevin White by some miracle drops all the way to the #24 pick.

I think the Cards want to draft someone that can get to the QB at #24, but the problem I see is are the ones that are left worth the 24th pick? I have said before I think this is the year to mortgage the future and move up to get a OSLB who can flat out get after the QB.

Stout

Reaction score
Unless they view the replacement as a clear upgrade. It was clear they viewed Williams as nothing more than a part time player who didn't add much value on third down. Williams got paid more than they thought he was worth so they moved on. If they think Brown has more versatility and adds value on all downs and is the best player available then I have no problem with them taking him.

Perhaps you don't understand the 3-4 NT position. The kind of player who mans this position only plays a limited percentage of the snaps, which do not include third downs. As far as stuffing the run and drawing blocks, which is the 3-4 NT's role, Dumpster Dan was fantastic.

My opinion is that the front office tried to cut corners and save a few bucks and it bit them in the ass.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Perhaps you don't understand the 3-4 NT position. The kind of player who mans this position only plays a limited percentage of the snaps, which do not include third downs. As far as stuffing the run and drawing blocks, which is the 3-4 NT's role, Dumpster Dan was fantastic.

My opinion is that the front office tried to cut corners and save a few bucks and it bit them in the ass.

Who knows if it will bite them in the butt... but, one thing is certain... our run "D" over the last half of 2014 was less than stellar and that was with Dumpster Dan.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree with this. BASK had a number in mind and another team felt they needed to spend more to get a NT.

I do think K9 is right that we do need to re-sign more of our 1st rd picks to second contracts.

Stout

Reaction score
Who knows if it will bite them in the butt... but, one thing is certain... our run "D" over the last half of 2014 was less than stellar and that was with Dumpster Dan.

Certainly you aren't suggesting, with the collapse of the whole defense because of the offense's inability to maintain any kind of possession or score any points, was directly the fault of Dumpster Dan. That argument would be weak tea.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Certainly you aren't suggesting, with the collapse of the whole defense because of the offense's inability to maintain any kind of possession or score any points, was directly the fault of Dumpster Dan. That argument would be weak tea.

He was 1 of 11 on the field, and prominent in our run "D", which was less than stellar in the last half of the season.

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
He was 1 of 11 on the field, and prominent in our run "D", which was less than stellar in the last half of the season.

The D-line is still a viable concern, it has to be with the departure of Dumpster.

The shoddy tackling absolutely played a big part of the woeful run D towards the last half of the season, along with playing Seattle and SF twice each and better competition overall. The D was out on the field for very long stretches and that wore on them as the season played out. That is true as well.

My feeling is that Malcom Brown would be a solid addition to that department as well as an effective three down player in a position of need still. A position somewhat undervalued by some, but very vital to the overall health of the D.

If we don't land Peterson, I really don't get the reason for stashing the extra CAP space and not saying to him that we would match any offer on the open market he got to stay here??

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The D-line is still a viable concern, it has to be with the departure of Dumpster.

The shoddy tackling absolutely played a big part of the woeful run D towards the last half of the season, along with playing Seattle and SF twice each and better competition overall. The D was out on the field for very long stretches and that wore on them as the season played out. That is true as well.

My feeling is that Malcom Brown would be a solid addition to that department as well as an effective three down player in a position of need still. A position somewhat undervalued by some, but very vital to the overall health of the D.

If we don't land Peterson, I really don't get the reason for stashing the extra CAP space and not saying to him that we would match any offer on the open market he got to stay here??

???

So Dumpster would wait around in the hope that the Cards didn't land AP?

(Doubt that Oakland would go along with this plan.)