Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only part of the team going forward on offense that is worth watching is Kyler to Trey McBride. Hopefully that develops into a top tandem in the league.
Until a team just jumps the route and gets an easy pick-six when Kyler throws it to McBride over the middle. Oh, wait - San Fran just did that.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Missing a few details.

Kyler's team lost its #1 WR. RBs Conner and Edmonds both were in and out the lineup to end the season. Then after an impressive win vs the Cowboys the Cardinals were positioned to once again play and beat the Cowboys in the playoffs. Instead the coach treated the final game of the season vs the Seahawks as a preseason game. It backfires and kills momentum. Cardinals proceeded to face the eventual Super Bowl champion Rams instead of the yearly disappointing Cowboys.
Hole Moly. This is a lesson in how to present truisms, but refuse to see the forest thru the trees...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
No position is harder to rate than QB. Sure there are a bunch of QBs I’ve reviewed who were easy to project failure. Often a fatal flaw is evident. Like every position there are a few overachievers who are hard to spot. Essentially guys who should fail but somehow overcome issues that have sunk dozens of other QBs. Bradshaw was the classic example.

There are also a few factors that a rare QB excels at to such a degree that they succeed. Warner didn’t have a great arm, but was one of the best at sizing up a defensive alignment and calling an audible to a winning play. Watch some YouTube on Fran Tarkenton. If you like Murray’s elusiveness you’ll love Tarkenton. He had a mediocre arm but he found ways to make plays.

That elusive factor alone might make you expect I’d put Murray in that class. However, he’s too fragile to run consistently. He’d never last. So what’s the deal with Murray? Is he a franchise QB? As many of you know I talk with numerous well-placed people. Questions about Murray are my most frequent interrogatives. The bottomline is I don’t know. Why?

Murray began his NFL career with the worst possible coach for Murray’s development. Kingsbury was more a fan than a coach. He constantly ran empty backfields, exposing Murray to continual pressure. Kingsbury made no effort to improve Murray’s mechanics or his ability to read defenses. Kingsbury didn’t insist on Murray using progressions. There was no evidence of teaching Murray how to move in the pocket, the few times one was available.

So I don’t know Murray’s capabilities because in many ways he’s still a rookie. He’s a great runner with enough arm to throw a good tree. He’s simply not polished. Whether he can be after all this time is a major unknown. He’s got the tools, but can he be a game general?

It’s very hard to find an athlete of Murray’s talent level. If you get one, you don’t give up easily. You can teach game management and mechanics, but you can’t teach athleticism. So I want to see another year before I give up on Murray.
I think part of it is also how do you test how fast a QB reads, reacts, etc. Clearly there are QBs of all different physical talents that have been successful in the NFL. The opposite can be true, too, guys with superior physical gifts that are very unsuccessful. The mental and visual skills cannot be underestimated. I just don't know how you can test that skill successfully.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One positive thing I can take out of this is that keeping Nuk probably would’ve prevented us being out of the MHJ zone cause I’m positive we would’ve had another win or two with Nuk.
Monti agrees with this take

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
No position is harder to rate than QB. Sure there are a bunch of QBs I’ve reviewed who were easy to project failure. Often a fatal flaw is evident. Like every position there are a few overachievers who are hard to spot. Essentially guys who should fail but somehow overcome issues that have sunk dozens of other QBs. Bradshaw was the classic example.

There are also a few factors that a rare QB excels at to such a degree that they succeed. Warner didn’t have a great arm, but was one of the best at sizing up a defensive alignment and calling an audible to a winning play. Watch some YouTube on Fran Tarkenton. If you like Murray’s elusiveness you’ll love Tarkenton. He had a mediocre arm but he found ways to make plays.

That elusive factor alone might make you expect I’d put Murray in that class. However, he’s too fragile to run consistently. He’d never last. So what’s the deal with Murray? Is he a franchise QB? As many of you know I talk with numerous well-placed people. Questions about Murray are my most frequent interrogatives. The bottomline is I don’t know. Why?

Murray began his NFL career with the worst possible coach for Murray’s development. Kingsbury was more a fan than a coach. He constantly ran empty backfields, exposing Murray to continual pressure. Kingsbury made no effort to improve Murray’s mechanics or his ability to read defenses. Kingsbury didn’t insist on Murray using progressions. There was no evidence of teaching Murray how to move in the pocket, the few times one was available.

So I don’t know Murray’s capabilities because in many ways he’s still a rookie. He’s a great runner with enough arm to throw a good tree. He’s simply not polished. Whether he can be after all this time is a major unknown. He’s got the tools, but can he be a game general?

It’s very hard to find an athlete of Murray’s talent level. If you get one, you don’t give up easily. You can teach game management and mechanics, but you can’t teach athleticism. So I want to see another year before I give up on Murray.
That's a fair assessment. Kingsbury was just a god awful hire and started the demise of Keim. It was a panic hire trying to emulate McVay. I could see giving Murray an off season with a legit coaching staff to see if he can pick up the nuances of being a good QB.

I'm sure this staff already has their mind made up about it based on how Murray has practiced and if he's been putting in the time to study. Funny, there hasn't been any reports I have seen saying whether Murray has improved his study habits or not.

You're dead on about Kingsbury being a fan boy too. What contract has ever included a study clause because the HC won't hold the player accountable? I would have loved to see Arians with Murray. Hell, Arians was calling out Tom Brady.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Kingsbury was just a god awful hire and started the demise of Keim. It was a panic hire trying to emulate McVay.

I don't think it was a panic hire - I just think Keim thought he was smarter than everyone else.

Let's also not forget the awful fact that Kingsbury is #7 all time in wins by a Cardinal HC.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And what’s your excuse for him totally crapping the bed the year before, with Hopkins healthy when we were 6-3 and looking like a lock to make the playoffs, but then he collapsed in the second half of the season yet we STILL had a chance to clinch at 8-6, playing the ATROCIOUS 49ers (4-12 that year and playing their entire JV lineup) AT HOME and still embarrassingly wet the bed. Or the next week against the Rams with a chance to again clinch against freaking Wofford and Kyler got a boo boo and then stunk again?
Preach.

Stout

Reaction score
We had like 4 or 5 chances to clinch a playoff spot and lost every clinching game we played. It wasn't a game or two or due to injury. We couldn't beat the Little Sisters of the Poor if it meant clinching a playoff spot. Then we sucked balls in the playoffs including the shortest pick-six in playoff history by our transcendent little QB.
Also preach.

Stout

Reaction score
Nothing I said went against him being awful in the playoff game.

Tom Brady's QBR was 16 against the Rams. And thats the GOAT. Kyler was horrendous without his #1 WR against an all time great defense. Is saying he was without Hopkins incorrect?

Again you are reading out of it what you want to read. Nothing about it said he wasnt terrible in the playoff game. BIM left out other important details to make it more complete what happened.

Kyler was subpar down the stretch of the season once Hopkins was injured. And awful in the playoff game.

Kyler was awful and lets leave it that is such a limited take without any nuance. But hey if ignoring the fact we treated the Seahawks game like a preseason game is giving Kyler a pass then I dont know what to tell you. That was an organizational failure to risk putting yourselves in a position to play the Rams a third time.
Cheese and BIM retorted very well for me.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think anything is possible.
I wish I knew the EXACT situation and ramifications of Murray’s contract.

I’ve read everything from it’s impossible to move on from Murray to no problem at all.

For one reason or another I think this staff, whether stuck or not contract wise, will stick with Murray.

Strong running game? Okay. Well there better be a plan to obtain a RB should Connor go down…and he will somewhere along the line. It would also help if we actually had a couple of WR’s to add to our 1 man McBride attack.

It’s depressing to read “Murray is basically a rookie” talk. So it will be the rookie Murray or a rookie newbie.

This is going to be one crazy off season . There 18 different roads this team could take. History shows we will take the wrong one.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we keep Kyler beyond next year--maybe even next year--we will definitely be set back by years and years, IMO.
If Monti doesn’t know what he’s doing then sure.

Build the team before you bring another QB in.

Last thing I wanna see is fans blaming the new QB not getting over the hump because he can’t lead a team with inferior/mediocre talent that he overachieved with in the regular season over a team with superior talent in the playoffs.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I can’t see another option that doesn’t set us back another 5 years.

My motto moving forward is build the damn lines and run run run!

Kind of buried in the debris of a lost season my friend is our powerful, punishing ground game.

Our G-C-G positions get a lot of criticism, but these guys are getting to the 2nd level and being effective. There are some gapping holes for our backs to run through.

Conner somehow has gained half a step.

Then the supporting cost of Little, Demarcdo, Moore and Murray are all rushing for like 5.0+ a carry.

If we were a playoff team, people wouldn't shut up about it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arians leaving was the start. That should've never happened.
Arians did have a serious health issue as well. He had kidney cancer and part of his kidney removed before his last season here. I think he was physically and mentally cooked. Took a year off, got rejuvenated and was good to go. He COULD have returned then, since Wilks was fired. I have wondered if it was a lack of interest by him, the team or if it was mutual.

Arians was easily the best head coach we have had in Arizona.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I can’t see another option that doesn’t set us back another 5 years.

My motto moving forward is build the damn lines and run run run!
We already have a good FG kicker. If you can run over 200 yards a game and kick a lot of FGs, you will win a lot of games just doing those two things.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kind of buried in the debris of a lost season my friend is our powerful, punishing ground game.

Our G-C-G positions get a lot of criticism, but these guys are getting to the 2nd level and being effective. There are some gapping holes for our backs to run through.

Conner somehow has gained half a step.

Then the supporting cost of Little, Demarcdo, Moore and Murray are all rushing for like 5.0+ a carry.

If we were a playoff team, people wouldn't shut up about it.
I’m thinking lines as in both.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I do worry that this offense isn't going to fit Kyler. The focus is throwing over the middle which is Kyler's main weakness. Either he overcomes or he goes I guess. I would prefer if we built the offense around the QBs strengths but oh well.

For everyone who wants Baker. Baker is staying in Tampa for a long time and also, we are basically running Stefanskis offense and Baker didn't do that well in it either.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not if the other team is scoring 40 points….
How many teams score 40? Honestly. It happens, but not that much over all teams in a season. Plus, isn't that what our defense is there for? There have been many teams that pair a great defense, ability to run the ball, and a great kicker to win lots of games. Even in today's pass heavy NFL. Still gotta be able to run the rock!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen