Zac Allen and Byron Murphy are free agents

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I’d start at $12 mil, I’d be willing to go up another $2 mil if needed.
Sounds like exactly the kind of deal he should have been signed to last offseason - doubt he gets less than $15 at this point, and that would be a tough pill to swallow for a good but not great player.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sounds like exactly the kind of deal he should have been signed to last offseason - doubt he gets less than $15 at this point, and that would be a tough pill to swallow for a good but not great player.
$15 million is a good number for Allen. We don't want it approaching $20 million, which some crazy team might pay.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
$15 million is a good number for Allen. We don't want it approaching $20 million, which some crazy team might pay.
Again, the point is, we had a window to extend him at a reasonable #, and now we're subject to the whackiness of the FA market. (Deja vu all over again, huh?)

Reactions: PJ1

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Again, the point is, we had a window to extend him at a reasonable #, and now we're subject to the whackiness of the FA market. (Deja vu all over again, huh?)
Maybe. We don't know what his agent was saying to the Cardinals last year.

2021 he had as many pressures as Quinnen Williams. It was straight mythology that he wasn't a good player.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
2021 he had as many pressures as Quinnen Williams. It was straight mythology that he wasn't a good player.
Ha, who said he wasn't good? The problem is when you pay good players great player money, which is why we really should stop letting many of our good young players hit RFA!

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. The time for negotiation was a year ago. Once a player that is young and talented hits free agency kiss him goodbye. Again the new administration never had a chance.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ha, who said he wasn't good? The problem is when you pay good players great player money, which is why we really should stop letting many of our good young players hit RFA!
Quite a few posters on this board did. Not going to rehash that argument and I'm not saying you said this.

I hate watching players grow and get better and then leave.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Quite a few posters on this board did. Not going to rehash that argument and I'm not saying you said this.

I hate watching players grow and get better and then leave.
Yeah, I think you're misremembering the vibe on this one.

Few subjects on ASFN have garnered this level of agreement!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Exactly. The time for negotiation was a year ago. Once a player that is young and talented hits free agency kiss him goodbye. Again the new administration never had a chance.
All things equal, the reports of the Cards being an absolute joke of a franchise in terms of how they treat their players probably isn't a great thing going into FA!

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I don't think any team in the NFL would have signed Allen after his 3rd season, following a year in which he had a significant ankle injury, and his first two seasons were only "meh". This is really using hindsight after a very good 2022 season to go back in time and say he should have been signed at the end of the 2021 season.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't think any team in the NFL would have signed Allen after his 3rd season, following a year in which he had a significant ankle injury, and his first two seasons were only "meh". This is really using hindsight after a very good 2022 season to go back in time and say he should have been signed at the end of the 2021 season.
The guy was very effective on a completely messed up leg. What does that tell you about how he'll play when healthy?

Again - please reference the poll below - nearly unanimous opinion here that he should have been extended last summer.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The guy was very effective on a completely messed up leg. What does that tell you about how he'll play when healthy?

Again - please reference the poll below - nearly unanimous opinion here that he should have been extended last summer.

I'm talking about the perception on how good Allen is not on whether people wanted to re-sign him.

Allen is a good player in the NFL and has been for awhile now. People saying to re-sign him for $10 mil per year were way off on how good he is.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Despite the fan poll, I still don't think GM's around the league would have seen enough from Allen to sign him after his first three years. Obviously, at this point I wish they would have had the foresight to sign him, but I just don't think it was a reasonable expectation at the time.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
As far as the overpay issue goes, I agree with @BritCard. You can absolutely overpay and come out hot on a guy that the rest of the market doesn't value at the same, but you got overexcited.

Like, let's pretend you go out and buy a PS5 for $10,000 on eBay from a scalper to get it day one, but it turns out that PS5s are nowhere near as in demand, and scalpers are actually selling them at $700 from there on out. It's an overpay. I know a singular player is more of a finite resource, but let's say you have Frank Clark and Zach Allen as your two targets, and one is clearly cheaper but you expect the same basic production in your scheme... you'd take the cheaper player. (Assuming all things equal, I know Clark is older.)

The current team almost always has the edge unless the player is unhappy. Who wants to move house, lose their friends, go somewhere they don't know anybody. Especially with Arizona. Who want's to leave Arizona for Chicago or Minnesota? So Allen and Murphy will come back and say "Well we can get X amount from Y team" and then try hash out a deal.
My only argument against this with Allen is that he spent most of his life on the East Coast. If anything he's far away from home/friends/family. I don't think he's married or has kids, so really over three years I don't know how much of a home he's really established in AZ.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Despite the fan poll, I still don't think GM's around the league would have seen enough from Allen to sign him after his first three years. Obviously, at this point I wish they would have had the foresight to sign him, but I just don't think it was a reasonable expectation at the time.
I disagree. After 2021, it was apparent that Allen is a pretty good DL. I won't be shocked to see him get just shy of the franchise tag number.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will refrain from judgement here, I want to see where it goes.

If we're letting these guys walk then we should also look to trade everything that isn't nailed to the floor. Hopkins is already up for sale, Ertz and Brown should dangled too.

However, if they try to plug these holes by tossing out big contracts to aged veterans, I will be very disappointment.

They're going to suck next year, might as well do as much of a reset as we can.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm very worried we are going to let these guys walk and then replace them with washed veterans on slightly cheaper contracts.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Letting these guys walk makes it less likely we sign meaningful veteran free agents because it will hurt our comp pick potential.

We'd have to narrow our focus to guys who were cut by their current teams and/or wait until well after the draft.

Singing a couple top- or even mid-level UFAs would be an excellent indication that we plan to compete this year.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Letting these guys walk makes it less likely we sign meaningful veteran free agents because it will hurt our comp pick potential.

We'd have to narrow our focus to guys who were cut by their current teams and/or wait until well after the draft.

Singing a couple top- or even mid-level UFAs would be an excellent indication that we plan to compete this year.

Do you think competing this year is realistic?

If the assumption is that Kyler is out until mid-season, I feel like they're going to be a bottom 5 team again. They should cash in what few moveable assets they've got.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn