Zac Allen and Byron Murphy are free agents

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Young above average CBs are hard to find. I don't know what the Cardinals plan is but losing Zach Allen and Byron Murphy both who are young and above average to good is not a great sign. I can understand losing one.

My be the 3rd choice GM doesn't know how to evaluate?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jonathan Allen had 17 sacks total over 4 years when he got that deal. Zach has 11. I struggle to see him in that bracket.

But yes $15m is probably achievable. You'd be ok with $15m per?

No concerns about him only really being good with JJ Watt next to him? That all his production only came with JJ taking double teams?

Draft Jalen Carter and the double-team issue is solved. ;)

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Young above average CBs are hard to find. I don't know what the Cardinals plan is but losing Zach Allen and Byron Murphy both who are young and above average to good is not a great sign. I can understand losing one.

My be the 3rd choice GM doesn't know how to evaluate?

I guess that Allen is a real prize in Free Agency and Murphy, not so much, given the number of games played in 2022 and a possible back issue. Murphy may have to, and perhaps prefer, taking a 1-year deal to reset his market in the future.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Keim is atleast modestly OK? Never heard a peep through out this hiring season..

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In passing: I don't know why a fan with a Twitter account and podcast gets quoted so often as an authority on all Cards-related things. He's no more than an aggregator and regurgitator of readily available info.
I don't know much about that Twitter guy, that was all facts on that tweet.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Bring on the comp picks

That only happens if we don't sign any qualifying free agents in return. If these guys get top of the market deals and play a lot in 2023, we'll get a third-round comp pick for each...

... as long as we don't sign any qualifying free agents in return. Those are players who reached unrestricted free agency and were not cut by their current teams.

If we're entering a full rebuild this summer (bottoming out the roster to maximize comp picks in 2024), it will be deeply embarrassing that we're doing so with only a humiliating late-season collapse and beatdown in the Wild Card round to show for it.

Houston Texans-level work.

Does anyone know if Keim is atleast modestly OK? Never heard a peep through out this hiring season..

You must be registered for see images attach

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we're entering a full rebuild this summer (bottoming out the roster to maximize comp picks in 2024), it will be deeply embarrassing that we're doing so with only a humiliating late-season collapse and beatdown in the Wild Card round to show for it.

Houston Texans-level work.

I'd expect nothing more.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody should know these two players more than us. One of the weakest parts of this organization is recognizing talent as it’s growing while coaching that player up.
We could and should have signed Allen before last year based on what we knew about him and his ceiling. Zach Allen’s value soared on what he did in 2022. A price paid a year ago would be a bargain today. And a price paid today will be a bargain tomorrow if the player pans out.
Allen was 24 years old last. If offered a 15m bonus and 3 years of 33m I think he would have jumped at it.
Teams draft a player with the hopes of striking gold. Every player signed to a contract is a risk. Either an incorrect evaluation, injury, personal conduct and even a lack of coaching that player up.
Teams take a leap of faith when signing a player early. It’s recognizing said players ability is what has lacked with this club.

No way he's signing in year 3 for $11m per year. He has the same agent as JJ Watt who is getting $14m at 31+. Last off season pure run stuffers with no pass rush like DJ Jones were signing for $10m.

His agent is Joseph Landrum of CAA. He represents some of the biggest names in the game. It's the agent Hopkins has signed with the find his next team. He wasn't born yesterday.

Maybe we could have got him for $14m last year vs $16m this year. But I imagine that had we signed Allen for $14m per last year with his 6 career sacks in 3 years and his less than stellar run stopping ability this board would have melted down.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know much about that Twitter guy, that was all facts on that tweet.

Not sure how Allen and Murphy have been used wrong?

Allen has been inside his whole time here and Murphy simple wasn't good enough to play outside early. He's barely good enough in year 4.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

How is Byron Murphy a ball hawk with 5 interceptions in 4 years? Budda Baker has more interceptions in the last 4 years and he's the least ball hawkey defensive back.

Pretty sure Odegard is doing his best to drive the price up as another bitter ex employee.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
In passing: I don't know why a fan with a Twitter account and podcast gets quoted so often as an authority on all Cards-related things. He's no more than an aggregator and regurgitator of readily available info.
I don't necessarily disagree, but he has worked his way up, to be able to attend press events, like he did for Super Bowl, Cards hirings, etc. So a bit more than just a bloated fanboy now. He's not my favorite, but he has worked pretty hard to gain some credibility....plus Jurecki hates him, so that's a bonus.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How is Byron Murphy a ball hawk with 5 interceptions in 4 years? Budda Baker has more interceptions in the last 4 years and he's the least ball hawkey defensive back.

Pretty sure Odegard is doing his best to drive the price up as another bitter ex employee.

It's pretty shameful the way you're intellectually dishonest when you're making excuses for management and ownership.

Byron Murphy had four INTs in 2021 when he started 16 games. He's had 24 passes defensed over the past three seasons (45 games). This goes along with three fumble recoveries.

But what can you really expect from a guy who thinks that Trayvon Mullen is better than Byron Murphy?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's pretty shameful the way you're intellectually dishonest when you're making excuses for management and ownership.

Byron Murphy had four INTs in 2021 when he started 16 games. He's had 24 passes defensed over the past three seasons (45 games). This goes along with three fumble recoveries.

But what can you really expect from a guy who thinks that Trayvon Mullen is better than Byron Murphy?

Take a day off dude.

I'm intellectually dishonest? How is 1 season with 4 INT's and 5 in 4 years a ball hawk? Nobody in football considers that a ball hawk or ever has.

Guy's that average 3-4 INT's every year are ball hawks. Guys like Marcus Peters who had 22 INT's in 4 years are ball hawks.

You really think 5 INT's in 4 years is a ball hawk?

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Jonathan Allen had 17 sacks total over 4 years when he got that deal. Zach has 11. I struggle to see him in that bracket.

But yes $15m is probably achievable. You'd be ok with $15m per?

No concerns about him only really being good with JJ Watt next to him? That all his production only came with JJ taking double teams?
Zach played real well when Watt went down in 2021. Not a concern.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Take a day off dude.

I'm intellectually dishonest? How is 1 season with 4 INT's and 5 in 4 years a ball hawk? Nobody in football considers that a ball hawk or ever has.

Guy's that average 3-4 INT's every year are ball hawks. Guys like Marcus Peters who had 22 INT's in 4 years are ball hawks.

You really think 5 INT's in 4 years is a ball hawk?

Just like when valuing a company the past two seasons are most important, so it's important to weight the most recent two seasons when evaluating a player.

Dinging Murphy for his rookie season when he was the #1 corner by default doesn't make sense to me. You also have to discount his second season (not ignore, just discount) because he only played 76% of the snaps (because Vance Joseph, one assumes).

So, the past two seasons (25 games) he had four INTs, three fumble recoveries, and 16 passes defensed. That seems pretty impressive to me. Especially when teams weren't testing Murphy this season because the talent on the other side was so awful.

Reactions: PJ1

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Tom Pelissero projects he could get 16 mil per year.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
JC Jackson got 82mm with 40mm guaranteed. That's 16.5mm per year and he's 2 or 3 years older than Byron.

Carlton Davis got 44.5mm with 30mm guaranteed. That's 14.8mm per year and he's 1 or 2 years older than Byron.

Marcus Peters god 40mm with 32mm guaranteed. That's 14mm per year and he's 5 years older than Byron.

I think the market STARTS at 16mm and only goes up from there. And that makes his contract top 10 in the league at his position. Just like Zach will probably get.

Tre'Davious White makes 17.2mm per year. Xavien Howard makes 18mm. That's probably the ceiling.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just like when valuing a company the past two seasons are most important, so it's important to weight the most recent two seasons when evaluating a player.

Dinging Murphy for his rookie season when he was the #1 corner by default doesn't make sense to me. You also have to discount his second season (not ignore, just discount) because he only played 76% of the snaps (because Vance Joseph, one assumes).

So, the past two seasons (25 games) he had four INTs, three fumble recoveries, and 16 passes defensed. That seems pretty impressive to me. Especially when teams weren't testing Murphy this season because the talent on the other side was so awful.

Don't disagree with any of that.

Also not a ball hawk by any stretch of the term.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
JC Jackson got 82mm with 40mm guaranteed. That's 16.5mm per year and he's 2 or 3 years older than Byron.

Carlton Davis got 44.5mm with 30mm guaranteed. That's 14.8mm per year and he's 1 or 2 years older than Byron.

Marcus Peters god 40mm with 32mm guaranteed. That's 14mm per year and he's 5 years older than Byron.

I think the market STARTS at 16mm and only goes up from there. And that makes his contract top 10 in the league at his position. Just like Zach will probably get.

Tre'Davious White makes 17.2mm per year. Xavien Howard makes 18mm. That's probably the ceiling.
Now that I think more about it. He could get 19mm IMO.

25 years old. Probably going to be considered a top ballhawk FA at his position. Is a top slot CB.

Yeah. If Ward (20mm), Alexander (21mm), and Marlon Humphrey (19.5mm) are all north of 19mm...... Byron can get to 19mm in this market at his age. Go look at the free agent list and tell me I'm wrong.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

All those players are better than Murphy though. Most far better.

All of them except Davis have Pro Bowls and All Pros. Murphy hasn't even proven he's an outside corner. Never mind CB1.

He's not even proven he's a top 10 slot.

Davis is his ceiling. He's far closer to Donte Jackson or DJ Reed who got sub $12 last year.

Of course FA is nuts and teams often over pay.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson