Deandre Ayton discussion

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Seems like this fellow is living rent free in several skulls.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I hope Ayton is embarrassed that his coach felt more confident with him on the bench most of the second half.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty says Booker seems okay after banging knee.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty gives assistant Willie Green for some defensive tweaks between Saric and Ayton.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think he is playing himself out of a max contract. Like not just PHX, I don't think any NBA team would offer him a max contract the way he has been playing. I mean journeyman Kanter outplayed him tonight.

A guy I hope PHX looks at in the draft is Luka Garza. I think he could end up being a player in the mold of Jokic & Sabonis. The only reason PHX may not be actively shopping him to our knowledge is because Jones doesn't want to disrupt team chemistry while we're on a heater of a run.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coach will be looking at practice schedule to be creative to keep team fresh.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker talking about banging his knee.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton is 100% not a max player

If you mean he has definitely not earned a max contract player, you are correct. If you mean that he won't get a max contract, well, I'm not so sure about that. He's had games, stretches of games even, when he's played like someone destined to be maxed out. And he's had games, stretches of games even, when he's played like the 10th best player on our roster. At least we're just talking about the max contract, we won't have to worry about the supermax which is the real Cap killer.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think he is playing himself out of a max contract. Like not just PHX, I don't think any NBA team would offer him a max contract the way he has been playing.

Someone would, but the list is getting shorter, and teams with money to burn might succeed in landing someone else first.

I wonder if the Suns should try to get Ayton locked into a non-max extension this summer. The max for the last group of young players (Tatum, Fox, Mitchell, Adebayo) was $162 million over 5 years, so Ayton's max this summer would be a little more than that, assuming the cap goes up. $110M over four years?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Someone would, but the list is getting shorter, and teams with money to burn might succeed in landing someone else first.

I wonder if the Suns should try to get Ayton locked into a non-max extension this summer. The max for the last group of young players (Tatum, Fox, Mitchell, Adebayo) was $162 million over 5 years, so Ayton's max this summer would be a little more than that, assuming the cap goes up. $110M over four years?
For someone whose already shown an preferential inclination towards the financial side of his employment I doubt he’d be willing to consider a discount.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For someone whose already shown an preferential inclination towards the financial side of his employment I doubt he’d be willing to consider a discount.

I can't see him giving us a discount although I guess there's a small chance his agent could talk him into taking a little less now before he could play his way out of it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see him giving us a discount although I guess there's a small chance his agent could talk him into taking a little less now before he could play his way out of it.

Unless Ayton's play really deteriorates there is always going to be some team to give him the max.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He won't get super max. You have to be either an MVP, Defensive Player of the Year or make an All NBA Team. He is nowhere near any of those accomplishments.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I agree that it's unlikely, but it's possible that he and his agent would be smart enough to recognize that, at his current trajectory, there's a decent chance that he might never get a better offer.

The best projection for Ayton at this point is a rich man's Kwame Brown.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He won't get super max. You have to be either an MVP, Defensive Player of the Year or make an All NBA Team. He is nowhere near any of those accomplishments.

If this is due to my mentioning of the Super Max, that was my point. We don't have to worry about the Super Max with him, he hasn't and isn't going to qualify for it. And in the era of the Super Max, the routine max is less burdensome and less risky.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I agree that it's unlikely, but it's possible that he and his agent would be smart enough to recognize that, at his current trajectory, there's a decent chance that he might never get a better offer.

That's depressing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think signing Ayton early would be a mistake, discount or not. I have a feeling he'll look great next season playing for that max deal but his play in the first year of that contract will drop back down to reality. Let him be a new generations Eric Dampier and put up great numbers while making an impact in his contract years and going through the motions in his other seasons.

Whatever caused him to fail his drug test might still he an issue as well. That strike against him isn't going away. If he gets popped again then it could kill this teams future if they're paying him max money. Next fail is a 55 game suspension and he's untradable. He's already part of the drug program where he's tested more often than others because he's had the dirty test. I know he was popped for a diuretic and not a PED but its treated the same as a dirty PED test so it really doesn't matter at the end of the day since punishment is the same.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Ayton is a favorite punching bag for not performing up to potential of his draft position. That’s fair.

Ayton is one of the best big men in the NBA right now. Seems like nobody wants to acknowledge it at all because of the above.

Maybe he doesn’t ever become a superstar worthy of the number one pick but mark my words this guy will be one of the best big men, barring setback, for years to come.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oh God Kwame Brown? Just stop

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know Ayton is a favorite punching bag for not performing up to potential of his draft position. That’s fair.

Ayton is one of the best big men in the NBA right now. Seems like nobody wants to acknowledge it at all because of the above.

Maybe he doesn’t ever become a superstar worthy of the number one pick but mark my words this guy will be one of the best big men, barring setback, for years to come.

But he's not one of the best bits in the league. This has been discussed many times, he's middle of the pack in PER amongst Centers and there are at least a half dozen C's who are much better than him like Jokic, Embiid, Gobert, Vucevic, Abedeyo, Sabonis, KAT, and Anthony Davis. Then there are guys like Capella, Valencunis, and Porzingis who are around the same level as him and a case could be made they're all better than he is. That barely allows him to be a top 10 C, at best.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Anxious to see how Ayton responds tonight after sitting the second half in Portland.

Has there been a reason given? Was Monty sending a message?

I'm sure his inconsistent play is wearing on the players and Coaches.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Anxious to see how Ayton responds tonight after sitting the second half in Portland.

Has there been a reason given? Was Monty sending a message?

I'm sure his inconsistent play is wearing on the players and Coaches.
I didn’t think it was sending a message as much as playing the players who seemed to give him the best chance to win at the moment. That said, if I were deandre I would say to myself, “what can I do to ensure I’m one of those players, because I saw Booker and Paul out there and I’m supposed to be part of those players dominayton at end of games.” But I don’t think he possesses that self-awareness. Or least if he does, it doesn’t seem to serve as an internal motivator.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn’t think it was sending a message as much as playing the players who seemed to give him the best chance to win at the moment. That said, if I were deandre I would say to myself, “what can I do to ensure I’m one of those players, because I saw Booker and Paul out there and I’m supposed to be part of those players dominayton at end of games.” But I don’t think he possesses that self-awareness. Or least if he does, it doesn’t seem to serve as an internal motivator.

this was one of the problems I had with Monty early when we went into our slump. It’s like dude ride the hot hand stop worrying about getting everyone minutes this team is to deep.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard