Deandre Ayton discussion

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
That Hayes dunk today is something I wish Ayton did. Dude is glued to the ground.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
The biggest problem with Ayton's pick and roll is just how late he is to roll. It always puts the passer in a bad spot (pressured by both defenders) and there's barely any room to make a clean pass. The only one that usually works is the Booker lob for an easy flush. He'll never be a good pick and roll player because he doesn't have the internal timer that most great players have.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought Ayton would be catching lobs every game with CP3 running the show but he's averaging fewer dunks than previous years. 15.8% of his shots are dunks this year compared to 16.4% last season and 16.3 in his rookie season. That doesn't account for his drop in overall attempts either. Its like hes become more of a wuss as he's aged.

Stats from BBRef

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF? Top 10 in a league where there's only 30 starters is NOT of the best. Being in the 33 percentile of a particular group would NEVER get you considered amongst the best in ANYTHING. I mean, do you see a lot of people celebrating scholastically for being in the top third of their class? And we're talking about a league where there aren't that many good centers to begin with and falls off a cliff after the top 12.

he's fine. puts up nice stats. but he has made less and less of an impact as the season's gone on, and as the team got hotter and hotter, saw his minutes get less and less, now to the point that he's not even finishing games in 3 of the last 4.

Top 10 is quoted constantly in this league and in most leagues. It's not just about the starters. It's also the 30 guys that come off the bench for those guys that you are better than as well. I can show you several sports websites that always show the top 10. Not to mention the top 33% of NBA players make the most money in this league and the top 3rd at any respective position see a disproportionate peace of the NBA pie.

Again, NEVER said he was the best, never said he was a Superstar. Never said dude didn't have some serious head space problems. I have said repeatedly that he shows signs that he will never reach his potential. I think he is basketball IQ challenged. If the bashers here don't think he is going to get massive contract as one of the best as his position you all are kidding yourselves. The market will determine his worth and there will be a market for him here or someplace else. Hell even Robin Lopez signed a 12.65 Million dollar a year contract after leaving here and you all know how I felt about that guy.

The not finishing 3 of 4 thing is what I am talking about. A guy his age and by this time shouldn't need constant "messages" from the coaching staff. Which again, is the reason he likely won't ever reach the potential of his draft position. He is going to be one of those guys that over the years will put up good enough numbers to be one of the best at his position but will never be a superstar or someone to build around. Yet he will be one of the most frustrating players to watch as well (see your video above). I don't know if I buy into the sudden light switch cliché but it appears the coaches are frantically trying to flip it.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
DeAndre Ayton is most certainly NOT a top 10 starting center in this league. Of the 30 starting centers, AT BEST, he is 12 to 15.

No stinking way:
Jokic
Embiid
Gobert
KAT
Adebayo

Probably not:
Capela
Nurkic
Vucevic
Drummond
Porzingis
Valanciunas

Ehhh:
Wood
Harrell
Allen
Whiteside

C'mon man.....

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Did anybody see Ayton's demeanor on the bench in the 4th quarter of the Pacers game? I didn't see it and I'm curious. I saw it in the Portland game and he looked like he couldn't be happier.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This will be good for his focus . . .

It actually could be. I can only imagine having your first kid in this pandemic. However Ayton has been afforded so many excuses that I doubt that's been an issue for him and we'll see him more engaged going forward.

If for some reason he does start playing better then that's great but I'm not betting on it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a big goofy kid, I'm not sure if having his own child will help him grow up or just give him a playmate. For me, it did a little of both. Either way, good luck with your growing family DA

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He's the Nuke LaLouche of NBA Centers. My only problem is that I haven't figured out how to rhyme Legacy with Ayton yet.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Legacy???

This guy's view is distorted.

It sounds like he's satisfied with what he has already accomplished. I'm even more pessimistic now that we'll ever see any improvement in his game.

As for his becoming a father, he might do fine. Usually young people don't have tens of millions of dollars in the bank to help them along, but he does, so good for him. And he's obviously not obsessed with his career, so maybe that means he's more emotionally prepared to carve out a big chunk of his life for something else. He seems like a nice enough guy and, if his play on the court is any indication, not overly aggressive. Maybe he'll play only a few more years and then decide he's found something more fulfilling to do.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
The problem with young people having kids is usually the financial burden and who they have the kid with.

I'm pretty sure he can afford diapers so that's not an issue. If he and his girlfriend continue to get along he will likely be fine. It may even motivate him to improve. Now that's as positive as I can be. Chances are it will be more like a train wreck

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Chris Paul hasn't been his Crash Davis...

has been for the rest of the team. Some guys just don’t have it no matter how much help/pushing they get.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
has been for the rest of the team. Some guys just don’t have it no matter how much help/pushing they get.

My post wasn't meant to be a knock on Paul. It was merely meant to illustrate that Ayton hasn't transformed despite the hope that Paul would push Ayton along. Maybe Ayton needs an Annie...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It sounds like he's satisfied with what he has already accomplished. I'm even more pessimistic now that we'll ever see any improvement in his game.

As for his becoming a father, he might do fine. Usually young people don't have tens of millions of dollars in the bank to help them along, but he does, so good for him. And he's obviously not obsessed with his career, so maybe that means he's more emotionally prepared to carve out a big chunk of his life for something else. He seems like a nice enough guy and, if his play on the court is any indication, not overly aggressive. Maybe he'll play only a few more years and then decide he's found something more fulfilling to do.
Not sure where you're getting this. He literally ends the quote with "So I got a lot to do" and that was directly followed by the comment about his kid carrying on his legacy. Seems to suggest that he has a lot to do to build that legacy for his kid to follow.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure where you're getting this. He literally ends the quote with "So I got a lot to do" and that was directly followed by the comment about his kid carrying on his legacy. Seems to suggest that he has a lot to do to build that legacy for his kid to follow.
That's exactly what he said. You are correct.