2023 FIBA World Cup

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Reaves is terrible defensively. If Canada doesn’t go after him, Canada should fire their coach for poor game planning.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Team USA should rethink the need to add more size. It turned out to be a valid criticism. Rebounding was an issue.

They need to rethink Kerr as their head coach. He can't coach size. They don't have a lot of size but JJJ, Kessler, and Portis can all play C with someone like Cam J, Paolo, or even Ingram at PF. Instead Kessler got a DNP, Cam J saw 4 minutes, Ingram didn't play. JJJ saw 19 minutes and Portis saw 9. That won't get it done against a team with size like Germany.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My family from Germany were messaging me.. I didn’t even know the US was playing or cared lol..

Some how I am a sore loser.. I don’t even have a clue on FIBA. If the best US players actually had the drive to play and represent we would destroy the world. These guys making millions and have no pride for their country. As long as they are making the big bucks thats all they care for.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My family from Germany were messaging me.. I didn’t even know the US was playing or cared lol..

Some how I am a sore loser.. I don’t even have a clue on FIBA. If the best US players actually had the drive to play and represent we would destroy the world. These guys making millions and have no pride for their country. As long as they are making the big bucks thats all they care for.

I think the U.S. values the Olympics over the World Cup not that it helps in this event.

It's not on the players that participated.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only way we'll see bigger names play for Team USA is if a sponsor footed the bill. As is, they only make money if they medal and even Gold nets them just under $40k a piece, which is nothing compared to their salaries.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way we'll see bigger names play for Team USA is if a sponsor footed the bill. As is, they only make money if they medal and even Gold nets them just under $40k a piece, which is nothing compared to their salaries.

Yeah, this is nothing compared to what elite NBA stars make.

It raises the legitimate issue, why would higher profile NBA stars risk an injury when much of the U.S. doesn't even watch the World Cup or care about FIBA.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It raises the legitimate issue, why would higher profile NBA stars risk an injury when much of the U.S. doesn't even watch the World Cup or care about FIBA.

The NBA season is also considerably longer than that of foreign leagues and played with a smaller roster.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Most players will go once but anymore than that seems to be a struggle. I can see the logic also. Once is an experience and can build their brand but any more is putting themselves at risk. Either they can get injured or be known as failures if they lose since Team USA is always considered the leader of the pack.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

First off, that is some of the worst announcing I've ever heard. That's like the B squad for a 2nd division pro wrestling house show.

Fantastic play by Bridges, should be noted that he made a FT just prior to this.

I don't know if I blame Kerr or if I blame the players, but Edwards, Reaves and Brunson put on a display like nothing I've ever seen. Are they competing with each other or other countries, I'm not quite sure.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Missing out on a medal is embarrassing. I definitely think Kerr is to blame. He didn't have a Curry to bail him out and the team seemed less cohesive after his comments a week ago when he essentially declared Anthony Edwards as "The Man". That seemed to give Ant a big head and caused others to try and force the issue some, trying to prove themselves. Egos played as much of a role as the lack of size.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

First off, that is some of the worst announcing I've ever heard. That's like the B squad for a 2nd division pro wrestling house show.

Fantastic play by Bridges, should be noted that he made a FT just prior to this.

I don't know if I blame Kerr or if I blame the players, but Edwards, Reaves and Brunson put on a display like nothing I've ever seen. Are they competing with each other or other countries, I'm not quite sure.
This was a glorified pickup game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was a sick/clutch play by Bridges.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Here is the box score for those interested. Good game by Mikal Bridges.

Where was the defense for Team USA?

The only “defense” is Kerr saying we are worthy of winning this tournament. Feel sorry for Grant Hill but he made a big mistake with this roster. Assuming anyone really cares and it frankly looks like nobody does.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is the box score for those interested. Good game by Mikal Bridges.

Where was the defense for Team USA?

Again, he played an incredibly small lineup. No JJJ or Banchero. He relied entirely on Kessler and Portis, who didn't play the previous game, IIRC. So not only did he not play bigs, he didn't even use the bigs consistently. Makes no sense.

I feel for some of the players who didn't get a chance to contribute as well as Spoelstra and Ty Lue, who got front row seats to that debacle.

Spoelstra should be Team USA's coach. The way he gets undrafted players to buy into the Heat culture and system is amazing. Give him Haslem as the 12th man and let him bring home gold. I think the team definitely needs a few more veterans. Guys towards the end of their career like Kevin Love would be excellent bench role players who can step up and contribute within the system also.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, he played an incredibly small lineup. No JJJ or Banchero. He relied entirely on Kessler and Portis, who didn't play the previous game, IIRC. So not only did he not play bigs, he didn't even use the bigs consistently. Makes no sense.

I feel for some of the players who didn't get a chance to contribute as well as Spoelstra and Ty Lue, who got front row seats to that debacle.

Spoelstra should be Team USA's coach. The way he gets undrafted players to buy into the Heat culture and system is amazing. Give him Haslem as the 12th man and let him bring home gold. I think the team definitely needs a few more veterans. Guys towards the end of their career like Kevin Love would be excellent bench role players who can step up and contribute within the system also.

I would have preferred Spoelstra or Lue to coach the team. Maybe they get it corrected before the Olympics.

I don't think many in the U.S. even follow the World Cup.

Other world teams take it more seriously and with a sense of pride. With the United States, it's more like who wants to play.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great just great. This fool is going to have a mic in front of him all season. Thanks a lot Steve Kerr!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great just great. This fool is going to have a mic in front of him all season. Thanks a lot Steve Kerr!

Let's see how he plays for the Rockets. I'm already reading the Rockets will look to trade him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I would have preferred Spoelstra or Lue to coach the team. Maybe they get it corrected before the Olympics.

I don't think many in the U.S. even follow the World Cup.

Other world teams take it more seriously and with a sense of pride. With the United States, it's more like who wants to play.
At least for FIBA, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Although to be honest I’m not sure a change in coaching would have helped much. It really comes down to player selection and Grant Hill. Which I hate to say because I love the guy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least for FIBA, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Although to be honest I’m not sure a change in coaching would have helped much. It really comes down to player selection and Grant Hill. Which I hate to say because I love the guy.

Why are you blaming Hill? Everything I've seen says Kerr had final say on the roster as their head coach. He's talked about as a recruiter for the Olympic team next year, and most importantly, he's in charge of rotations.

Link that discusses Kerr's choices for the Olympic roster.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson