Deandre Ayton discussion

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Raze

Raze Suns fan since '89

I've been wondering the same thing. I can see two reasons for the decline in numbers.

1. There are two Aytons I've seen this year: a)one locked in, and b)one in the clouds.

a) When he's locked in you can tell. He's crashing boards, attacking the rim, dunking the ball, aggressively boxing out, verbally involved.

b) When he's in the clouds, YOU CAN TELL, or at least my wife and kids can tell because I'm constantly yelling at the TV. He's passive, weak in the lane, spectating rather than participating, and he catches balls like StoneHands from Necessary Roughness ("The ball is my friend"). I've seen this guy quite a bit in the last few games.

Last night I was yelling at him for the first quarter or so, and then cheering for him the rest. That's the first time I've seen him "switch" midgame.

2. Teams have been watching film on us and taking advantage of the way we switch on D. DA is getting ISOed on the G a lot and taking him out of position to board. That's going to reduce his numbers. This is certainly not his fault.

Hoop Head and AzStevenCal like this.
  2. ProdigalSun

ProdigalSun Registered

I agree if he played like last night all the time we’d all be happier with him. I feel though like he did show potential to be a consistent scoring option in the post before this season. Like one of the other posters said the championship contenders have multiple options to be able to score

Mainstreet likes this.
  3. ProdigalSun

ProdigalSun Registered

I know all I’m saying that Ayton could potentially live up to being dominating if he molded his post game more in the style of the TD and Olajuwan. These guys were certainly not bullies in the post. They beat people with footwork and good fundamentals. I mean lets face it...Ayton is never going to be even Amare-lite much less Shaq down low

Ouchie-Z-Clown and Mainstreet like this.
  4. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

We have multiple options to score, with or without him. Two strong scoring threats with five other players that average double digits is more than enough IMO. It would be nice to have him score 6 more points a game but IMO he'd probably be a 20+ scorer anyway if he just played as aggressively all the time as he did in the second half yesterday. And even if he never adds a single thing to his offensive game, the impact he had on our defense late last light is superstar level already. I'd much rather his focus be on playing like that all the time.

5. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I'm only offering a possible explanation for why we see the best of Ayton in the fourth quarter.

When Ayton is not in foul trouble he has done it enough to make me wonder. I don't have a better ready explanation available except this is a trait of the Suns team as well. They tend to turn up the intensity in the fourth quarter. It could be a coaching thing or a substitution pattern that ignites it.

In regard to last night specifically, limiting fouls might have been discussed with the coaching staff. Ayton and Kaminsky were the Suns only two centers available.

ProdigalSun likes this.
  6. taz02

taz02 Registered

We need Ayton to score reliably inside when our 3's aren't falling.

He obviously thinks to much when the ball is thrown to him, he is worried about making a mistake. It's why, sometimes he catches the ball in the paint and doesn't even look at the basket, he doesn't want to miss.

I wonder if maybe Booker and Paul should lay off a bit and let him play. He needs confidence and to feel comfortable in his roll, kind of hard to do with Paul and Booker on him.

Its frustrating to think how good we would be if he could get it together.

ProdigalSun likes this.
  7. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

He can score just fine in the two man game with Paul or Booker like he did late last night as long as he's focused (going hard to the hoop and not fumbling passes). We have one of the better offenses, it's our balance that makes us so dangerous. And that balance only occurs when he's playing focused and aggressive.

ProdigalSun and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  8. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Banned

Ayton is up to 24th in WS, right behind you-know-who.

9. GatorAZ

GatorAZ feed hopkins

According to that list Zion was deserving of his all star selection over Book.

10. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Banned

Easily. Booker has been just above average-good this year. He was very good last year, and elite in the bubble.

11. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

After watching CP3 this year...... Ayton is the Ricky Rubio of centers. Maybe even worse. But he will have a good game/half/quarter just often enough to tantalize us.

I'm trying to get over my utter disgust with his on-court demeanor and intensity. It's just not worth it.

12. GatorAZ

GatorAZ feed hopkins

The metrics have never been kind to Booker. WS/48, RAPM and VORP all hate him.

13. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

He’s the Andrew Wiggins of centers. Rubio doesn’t have the natural talent and athleticism both those guys do.

Dr. Jones and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  14. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Banned

That’s because those data incorporate more basketball stuff than just dagger Kobe turnaround Js.

15. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Banned

WS list

24. DA
    154. Wiggins
    212. Rubio

lol fans