Mavericks @ Suns 10-17-18 (season opener)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I do want to share one more thing. Tonight, Devin Booker was our Michael Jordan. With fingers still taped together on his shooting hand, he took over what had been reduced to a 4-point lead and blew the game open for the victory.

It's a long season. If that is what it takes for us to pull out the victory, teams will start double- and tripling DBook in the 4th quarter, when the plan is to make him our Point Guard as well.

I have confidence that Koko will anticipate that and make adjustments.
When that happens it's low post Ayton time. When they double Booker and help on Ayton, someone will be wide open for threes!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That strip he had, then ran the break on his own for a slick layup finish, that was a great play. I can't recall who the guard was but he tried to get fancy and as soon as his dribble came forward Warren stripped him clean.

I think that was Doncic. I'm 95% sure, which made it seem that much better. I hold nothing against Doncic, I wish him well but hope the Suns abuse him and show him up every time we play the Mavericks. Seeing our wings outplay him and getting the win is the best that can happen against him. It's not so much Ayton was the right choice at #1, it's that we didn't need Doncic as bad as some said we did.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton joins Alvin Adams and Shawn Marion with double doubles in their debut

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think that was Doncic. I'm 95% sure, which made it seem that much better. I hold nothing against Doncic, I wish him well but hope that Suns abuse him and show him up every time we play the Mavericks. Seeing our wings outplay him and getting the win is the best that can happen against him. It's not so much Ayton was the right choice at #1, it's that we didn't need Doncic as bad as some said we did.
I believe it is not an either-or. Ayton was the right choice at #1, regardless of a sluggish Small Forward who some thought could be our Point Guard.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My only beef with Canaan was that he tried to take the ball at Jordan four times.
I know. Even Ayton backed the ball out when Jordan had the angle on him. Which was another good example of a rookie wise beyond his years.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only beef with Canaan was that he tried to take the ball at Jordan four times.

Certainly not the smartest idea.

Canaan may not be the answer at starting point guard long term but he is a player that any team should want on their roster. He is very tough.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL, whatever that stood for originally, it looks prescient now!

I LOVE that... and even more that you were the first person to respond! You used to HATE that ridiculous rallying cry.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I LOVE that... and even more that you were the first person to respond! You used to HATE that ridiculous rallying cry.

I must have missed this conversation. Any connection to the "diesel boats" cry from Harry Dean Stanton in Down Periscope?

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
That strip he had, then ran the break on his own for a slick layup finish, that was a great play. I can't recall who the guard was but he tried to get fancy and as soon as his dribble came forward Warren stripped him clean.
It was Doncic that he stripped.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
could be one of the top 20 satisfying Suns games ever, coming off the worst year, worst record, after their first #1 pick, hoping for a sign of renewal in the first game of the season. Also the significance of Ayton and Doncic appearing in their first NBA game at the same time for comparison of our pick. Ayton validated our choice.

Game Review:

Good
1) more evidence Booker is on his way to superstardom
2) evidence Ayton could be a star in his rookie year and a dominant big man.
3) JJ & Warren having a solid game, hitting 3's. Warren showing real signs of adding skills to his game.
4) assists
5) Ariza

Bad
1) some of JJ's shots were still a little wild and quick.
2) Anderson looks sluggish.
3) Ayton has a lot to learn -- moving without the ball, pick and roll, hustle, jumping for rebounds
4) a game like this from this team can only be followed by disappointment

Doncic is pretty much as advertised. he's the most NBA ready and is a can't miss star with his skill set. a triple double threat. his only limitation may be that his mind and moves would be much more effective if he was faster and more athletic -- and you don't get faster as you get older.

Last edited: