Mavericks @ Suns 10-17-18 (season opener)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats easy to say when the three falls for them. Wait for the drought and then revisit this conversation.

I really don't get your point. Are you suggesting that Cotton would ignore what's happening in today's game and insist they take the 3 out of their (primary) arsenal? Of course we will lose games this season because the 3's aren't falling. Teams often lose when their shots aren't falling, from anywhere on the court.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My only beef with Canaan was that he tried to take the ball at Jordan four times.
He went shot hunting at times which isn’t needed with this team. He should never seek his shot, he should let it come to him. By that I mean, if the balk finds him wide open for a 3, hit it. If the lane is wide open for a layup, take it. But don’t try to create a shot for yourself because it’s unnecessary with this offense and the players around you.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more thing to note. I really liked seeing how Jackson got fired up after Dennis Smith Jr stole the ball from him and then the block. He got really into it yet still played under control. Some players just play better with a chip on their shoulder (Raja Bell and Westbrook come to mind), hopefully Jackson can continue to corral that productively.

On replay Jackson had one hand on Smith's shoulder while he blocked the shot with the other hand. LOL

The play really got Jackson going though.

It seems Booker and Jackson really respond to a challenge. They take adversity personal which is a sign of a good player. I was very pleased with the play of Ayton, Warren, Ariza, Jackson and Booker.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I must have missed this conversation. Any connection to the "diesel boats" cry from Harry Dean Stanton in Down Periscope?
It harkens back to the last golden age of the suns (Nash, amare, Marion years). I can’t even recall if we ever explained where the cry came from. But was magical . . . just not magical enough. Perhaps as E states it was before it’s time . . . and the time is now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
During halftime, Booker said that Ayton told him that Jordan was really, really physical, so I can see why Ayton had some lapses-he still provided 18/10. It was his first game as a professional against a type of player that honestly, he'd NEVER gone up against before in his entire LIFE. Think about that for a minute. The closest he has probably ever defended is probably Tyson Chandler in practice. That's saying something.

Denver is going to bring him something completely different. I think he's going to have a big offensive game, but it's going to be tough defensive test.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
During halftime, Booker said that Ayton told him that Jordan was really, really physical, so I can see why Ayton had some lapses-he still provided 18/10. It was his first game as a professional against a type of player that honestly, he'd NEVER gone up against before in his entire LIFE. Think about that for a minute. The closest he has probably ever defended is probably Tyson Chandler in practice. That's saying something.

Denver is going to bring him something completely different. I think he's going to have a big offensive game, but it's going to be tough defensive test.
Agreed. Jokic will provide a very different set of challenges. Hopefully Ayton makes him work a ton in the post.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Lol. That was a bit lame and embarrassing on National TV. Wait a few months people.
What for? It was his FIRST action with the team in an organized fashion since the end of last season. And he played spectacularly. On National TV. Many of us have been waiting for this since 2011. He hasn't had a game like this AT HOME in his career that I can remember.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is why I was expecting him to struggle more in this game. Jordan is one of the best defensive centers in the game. But Ayton looked smooth against him. That mid range jumper just opens up so many things. And Ayton catches everything thrown to him. He outplayed DJordan.

Jokic is less physical and more skilled. That will be an interesting test.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My breath is held about TJ Warren. If he FINALLY shows some additions to his game, it will go a loooong way.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A few more games of this by TJ and jackson we might be able to finally get a quality starting PG? Im a big fan of Buckets but you gotta give something to get something.lol

Yeah...Now might be the best time to revisit those trades for point guards. Everyone on the team looked good, basically. There's no way that sustains.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Yeah...Now might be the best time to revisit those trades for point guards. Everyone on the team looked good, basically. There's no way that sustains.
Package them for Doncic. Now, thats what a passing PG looks like. Could you imagine him on Koko's Suns team?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Package them for Doncic. Now, thats what a passing PG looks like. Could you imagine him on Koko's Suns team?

god pls not these absurd posts again

Passing PG? So far across preseason and the game last night Doncic is averaging MORE TURNOVERS than assists.

In Europleague he was not even top 10 in assists.

Doncic is not a PG whatsoever.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few more games of this by TJ and jackson we might be able to finally get a quality starting PG? Im a big fan of Buckets but you gotta give something to get something.lol

if this team starts playing better, why give up assets? they don't need to artificially speed up the process to be an 8 or a 9 seed this year when there are going to be very good FA who can continue to build on the team WITH all the talent they currently have.

They have the building blocks of a great team moving forward. They shouldn't dilute that possibility with a lot of cap space and some assets to play with to really put them over the top in the off-season.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
god pls not these absurd posts again

Passing PG? So far across preseason and the game last night Doncic is averaging MORE TURNOVERS than assists.

In Europleague he was not even top 10 in assists.

Doncic is not a PG whatsoever.
First game. Give him a break. He flashed what he could and will be.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
First game. Give him a break. He flashed what he could and will be.

First game?

He has not been a PG in Europe, he has not been a PG for Slovenia - he is not a PG, period.

And that is just talking about the offensive side of things, not even how he is going to cover PGs currently the Mavs hide him on Power Forwards.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard