DCEU: Wonder Woman

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I wanted the movie to be good, despite how awful it looked. Well, it turned out awful. Now I want the movie to fail spectacularly and lose money simply because I don't want Snyder pumping out tons of awful movies and ruining these awesome characters for a decade or more. DC was absurd to go with Snyder, and Snyder was absurd to throw such a jumble onto the big screen. It sucks, and I don't want more suckage to come out. Simple as that.

It crossed my mind that perhaps all the whacko dream sequences hinting at future villains and such....were the directors attempt to put his mark on the entire franchise....just in case he gets axed from the project due to poor directing....ie...he has now established what darkseids minions look like in the DCCU

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So far.....I liked the Christian bale batmans...was okay with man of steel.... but RED was the dominant force in DC comic movies,...with RED 2 being a close second

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Re: Agent Carter, after Season 1, I'd agree. But Season 2 is awful. Just awful.

Agree to disagree, in a major way. Not only was it high quality, IMO, it knocks it out of the park in regards to celebrating and promoting diversity, easily. And by easily, I simply mean without cramming it down the viewer's throat.

Wow, you're the first person I've talked to or even heard of that didn't love season 2. I'm not bagging on you or anything--I'm just legitimately surprised.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Agree to disagree, in a major way. Not only was it high quality, IMO, it knocks it out of the park in regards to celebrating and promoting diversity, easily. And by easily, I simply mean without cramming it down the viewer's throat.

Wow, you're the first person I've talked to or even heard of that didn't love season 2. I'm not bagging on you or anything--I'm just legitimately surprised.

Diversity? Seriously? Agent Carter takes place in a fantasy world and lost all it's cred at being realistic when it cast the black man as a scientist and an asian as a doctor and nobody batted an eye. I'm not racist, but back in that time period, that was unheard of. If you're going to have those characters, fine, but at least place them in a world that actually makes sense. And when one of the villain's henchman is an italian mobster, I'm not sure "diversity" is what you have there.

The villain is INCREDIBLY weak -- I think Whitney Frost is terrible and uninteresting. I also think the lack of Stark hasn't helped either. Heck, the show was easily at it's best this season when Bridget Regan (as Dottie) was onscreen. When she isn't, it's just boring. Haley Atwell (who I like) has been boring this season, whereas in season 1 at least she kicked butt every so often.

Stout

Reaction score
Diversity? Seriously? Agent Carter takes place in a fantasy world and lost all it's cred at being realistic when it cast the black man as a scientist and an asian as a doctor and nobody batted an eye. I'm not racist, but back in that time period, that was unheard of. If you're going to have those characters, fine, but at least place them in a world that actually makes sense. And when one of the villain's henchman is an italian mobster, I'm not sure "diversity" is what you have there.

The villain is INCREDIBLY weak -- I think Whitney Frost is terrible and uninteresting. I also think the lack of Stark hasn't helped either. Heck, the show was easily at it's best this season when Bridget Regan (as Dottie) was onscreen. When she isn't, it's just boring. Haley Atwell (who I like) has been boring this season, whereas in season 1 at least she kicked butt every so often.

I have to 100 percent disagree with almost everything here. Difference of opinion and whatnot.

While you're technically correct that those races weren't prevalent in those jobs, there WERE black scientists and Asian doctors. Putting them in prominent roles in the show is far, far less suspension of disbelief than in a lot of other shows on TV.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you saying there were no prominent Black scientists in the 40's? Because that is incorrect. They may not have gotten main stream credit but there were. I don't have a problem with them depicting a black man as a scientist. However, they did treat it very nonchalant as if people back then didn't have a problem with it or with Agent Carter being a love interest. It was very taboo back then. I think they sort of "Disneyed" right past the issue. However, that content is too heavy probably for such a light show and probably why they did that.

In terms of Whitney Frost....her character was so unbelievable. She at times seemed like a shallow actress and yet we were supposed to believe she was this mad scientists too. It didn't really work. Dottie was much more fun and interesting. Honestly, they should have had more Stark in it too. The episodes he is in are always more fun.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have to 100 percent disagree with almost everything here. Difference of opinion and whatnot.

While you're technically correct that those races weren't prevalent in those jobs, there WERE black scientists and Asian doctors. Putting them in prominent roles in the show is far, far less suspension of disbelief than in a lot of other shows on TV.

You are missing the point. The problem isn't that they are THERE, the problem is that nobody seems to have any issues with it. And that was an aspect of daily life that you don't seem to understand was there.

Funny enough, the last episode of Legends of Tomorrow did a much better job of that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Are you saying there were no prominent Black scientists in the 40's?

Good lord, no! Read my post, please.

Because that is incorrect. They may not have gotten main stream credit but there were. I don't have a problem with them depicting a black man as a scientist. However, they did treat it very nonchalant as if people back then didn't have a problem with it or with Agent Carter being a love interest. It was very taboo back then. I think they sort of "Disneyed" right past the issue.

?? That's exactly what I said.

However, that content is too heavy probably for such a light show and probably why they did that.

Horrible excuse, and a good reason why I don't like Season 2 as much.

In terms of Whitney Frost....her character was so unbelievable. She at times seemed like a shallow actress and yet we were supposed to believe she was this mad scientists too. It didn't really work. Dottie was much more fun and interesting. Honestly, they should have had more Stark in it too. The episodes he is in are always more fun.

I'm confused. It looks like we agree on almost everything.

Stout

Reaction score
You are missing the point. The problem isn't that they are THERE, the problem is that nobody seems to have any issues with it. And that was an aspect of daily life that you don't seem to understand was there.

Funny enough, the last episode of Legends of Tomorrow did a much better job of that.

I got your point. I simply don't agree that it's a big deal. They put some racism in there, no doubt, but to make the show a lot more about the reactions to the minorities would have been to change the show into something it isn't. I am perfectly willing to suspend my disbelief on that aspect.

I like it and you don't. It's cool. We're allowed to differ.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lord, no! Read my post, please.

?? That's exactly what I said.

Horrible excuse, and a good reason why I don't like Season 2 as much.

I'm confused. It looks like we agree on almost everything.

Well you confused me with this statement:

"Agent Carter takes place in a fantasy world and lost all it's cred at being realistic when it cast the black man as a scientist and an asian as a doctor and nobody batted an eye. I'm not racist, but back in that time period, that was unheard of."

It didn't sound like what I said but if that is what you meant...I gotcha.

I got your point. I simply don't agree that it's a big deal. They put some racism in there, no doubt, but to make the show a lot more about the reactions to the minorities would have been to change the show into something it isn't. I am perfectly willing to suspend my disbelief on that aspect.

I like it and you don't. It's cool. We're allowed to differ.

This. It would have changed the tone of the show. It's not a documentary about racism. Although, they should acknowledge it. If you have not seen 11.22.63 on Hulu it's a perfect example how you can acknowledge it's an issue without changing the tone of the story. Those that have seen it will know what I mean.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well you confused me with this statement:

"Agent Carter takes place in a fantasy world and lost all it's cred at being realistic when it cast the black man as a scientist and an asian as a doctor and nobody batted an eye. I'm not racist, but back in that time period, that was unheard of."

It didn't sound like what I said but if that is what you meant...I gotcha.

This. It would have changed the tone of the show. It's not a documentary about racism. Although, they should acknowledge it. If you have not seen 11.22.63 on Hulu it's a perfect example how you can acknowledge it's an issue without changing the tone of the story. Those that have seen it will know what I mean.

My point was the part of the sentence you didn't highlight.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point was the part of the sentence you didn't highlight.

I didn't need to highlight it because I read it and it didn't change the context of your statement for me. That entire sentence just wasn't clear as to what you meant. Although...I am glad you cleared it up. I got what you meant now and yes we are saying the same thing.

Back on topic: Gal Gadot made this statement:

"Wonder Woman is different from the woman you see in BvS. She’s more naive, and pure, and she’s this young idealist who does not understand the complexities of men in life. Whereas in BvS, she’s super. She’s very experienced. It’s been such an amazing, creative process."

This leads me to believe that maybe most of the movie is spent in the past? I was thinking for some reason that it would be a peace in the movie then it would flash forward to modern times to sync up with events that lead to the Justice League?!? It sounds like if the fast forward happens at all it might be the few minutes of the movie maybe. Sounds much like the Captain America approach which doesn't thrill me as much.

Thoughts? Do you guys really want to see Captain America remake with Wonder Woman?

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I didn't need to highlight it because I read it and it didn't change the context of your statement for me. That entire sentence just wasn't clear as to what you meant. Although...I am glad you cleared it up. I got what you meant now and yes we are saying the same thing.

Back on topic: Gal Gadot made this statement:

"Wonder Woman is different from the woman you see in BvS. She’s more naive, and pure, and she’s this young idealist who does not understand the complexities of men in life. Whereas in BvS, she’s super. She’s very experienced. It’s been such an amazing, creative process."

This leads me to believe that maybe most of the movie is spent in the past? I was thinking for some reason that it would be a peace in the movie then it would flash forward to modern times to sync up with events that lead to the Justice League?!? It sounds like if the fast forward happens at all it might be the few minutes of the movie maybe. Sounds much like the Captain America approach which doesn't thrill me as much.

Thoughts? Do you guys really want to see Captain America remake with Wonder Woman?

personally....I would appreciate the full back story on wonder woman....so go ahead and make an entire movie in WW1 and amazon islands and all that....she explained in BvS that she had to go off grid for a while....so we should see everything that happened before she did.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally....I would appreciate the full back story on wonder woman....so go ahead and make an entire movie in WW1 and amazon islands and all that....she explained in BvS that she had to go off grid for a while....so we should see everything that happened before she did.

It's true that we really have not seen the complete back story on the big screen but I guess I am itching to see her more in modern day action verses what she did in the past.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

I agree. I wasn't a big fan of the capitan American back story movie but it made the others so much better without having to waste time with flash backs or back stories. I'm all for a movie that shows me where WW came from.

Stout

Reaction score
I agree. I wasn't a big fan of the capitan American back story movie but it made the others so much better without having to waste time with flash backs or back stories. I'm all for a movie that shows me where WW came from.

Problem here is, we already got the modern WW, and NOW they want to go back and do backstory. The time has already come and gone for that, it seems to me. This isn't as much just a WW problem as it is the whole cluster-f problem that BvS created.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
That looks terrific.
I was worried actually....was a huge Linda Carter fan back in the day.... but Gal does a good job and this version of WW is so much more badass than the TV version. I actually love the sword and shield,.. much more true to her origins IMO....I really hope they keep her clean as this is a WW little girls can idolize