DCU: Blue Beetle

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Finally saw a trailer for this on a Hulu ad. It was...bad. Really bad. Effects looked cartoony. Dialogue sounded way cheesy, but the latter might have been because it was a terribly cut trailer.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I saw it 'positively' compared to Shark Boy and Lava Girl... only for young adults instead of kids.

I hope this review was written by an actual adult who was far too smitten with Shark Boy and Lava Girl and trying to normalize their shame.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I saw it 'positively' compared to Shark Boy and Lava Girl... only for young adults instead of kids.

I hope this review was written by an actual adult who was far too smitten with Shark Boy and Lava Girl and trying to normalize their shame.
Is that because that movie was made by a Latino director? Critics are pigeonholing this as a "Latino" film and while it's a big audience, I hate that they are laying into that enough that they compare it to Shark Boy and Lava Girl...

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is that because that movie was made by a Latino director? Critics are pigeonholing this as a "Latino" film and while it's a big audience, I hate that they are laying into that enough that they compare it to Shark Boy and Lava Girl...

It’s exactly why they do it. It’s just plain lazy. Same reason every white basketball player is automatically compared to Larry Bird

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will actually go see it in the theaters. I want to like it.
I’ve got to see Oppenheimer again and Barbie so I prob won’t get to this in the theaters, but I’ll look forward to watching it the day it hits HBOMAX. Good reviews, likable young star and I the narrative they’ve built around the movie is really engaging, especially the story about the Director making the plea to the studio not to plop it right on to HBOMAX and giving it a theatrical run. And actually getting to the studio to agree,

Last edited:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a great score, I know my kids are 100% wanting to see it.

I’m not going to complain about little known characters. I was scratching my head over the raccoon with a machine gun a few years back.

True. Guardians of the Galaxy and Shang Chi weren't exactly mainstream Marvel characters.....

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
True. Guardians of the Galaxy and Shang Chi weren't exactly mainstream Marvel characters.....
I could see this having a Shang Chi type of path.

Not anything you'd squarely link to a known universe as a casual. Not really a known story at all. Not a huge pre-push, but getting really good word of mouth.

I don't know tons of people who have seen it, but all vocally liked it.

I'm wanting to watch MI before it leaves, but would definitely consider this one.

I could see it riding the remnants of the Barbenheimer wave to steady results, getting solid global and posting respectable numbers

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see this having a Shang Chi type of path.

Not anything you'd squarely link to a known universe as a casual. Not really a known story at all. Not a huge pre-push, but getting really good word of mouth.

I don't know tons of people who have seen it, but all vocally liked it.

I'm wanting to watch MI before it leaves, but would definitely consider this one.

I could see it riding the remnants of the Barbenheimer wave to steady results, getting solid global and posting respectable numbers
i kinda doubt it. Shang-Chi actually opened WAYYYYYY above expectations. It obliterated Labor Day records with 71 million over Friday/Sunday with an extra 12 on Monday to boot. Previous record holder was 30 million. And then it went on to hold extremely well finishing with 220million domestic (I think).

And that happened in 2021 when theaters weren’t even close to what they are now. In fact, back then, all the studios were considering pushing their tent poles because of how bad the summer was and Delta starting to hit but Shang-Chi’s breakout success kept everything on the schedule.

Beetle is a nice story and dug the underdog nature of it after it was written off, but I think it tops out at 60-75 million domestic tops.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i kinda doubt it. Shang-Chi actually opened WAYYYYYY above expectations. It obliterated Labor Day records with 71 million over Friday/Sunday with an extra 12 on Monday to boot. Previous record holder was 30 million. And then it went on to hold extremely well finishing with 220million domestic (I think).

And that happened in 2021 when theaters weren’t even close to what they are now. In fact, back then, all the studios were considering pushing their tent poles because of how bad the summer was and Delta starting to hit but Shang-Chi’s breakout success kept everything on the schedule.

Beetle is a nice story and dug the underdog nature of it after it was written off, but I think it tops out at 60-75 million domestic tops.
I don't know why it (Shang-Chi) took off like it did, but man, what a great movie.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Good info. I knew it took off, but didn't recall it opening so strong - probably with me in my own cave .......

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good info. I knew it took off, but didn't recall it opening so strong - probably with me in my own cave .......
Lol… yeah, it was a shocker how big that movie opened. It also got pretty rave reviews (versus just good reviews here) and audiences were starved for some really big budget movie making and Shang Chi delivered that and then some.

Also, it had the Marvel brand behind it before Marvel really started falling off a cliff, quality wise. This one still has DC and it’s weird limbo status working as an anchor.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't know why it (Shang-Chi) took off like it did, but man, what a great movie.
Did you answer your own question? No, I get it, word of mouth isn't going to boost it so quickly. I'm betting it garnered a lot of viewers who finally got to see themselves be the super hero. One of the coolest things I've ever heard of a moviegoer saying was from a farmer walking out of Interstellar, saying "Hey, we got to be the heroes for once."

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Entertaining. There were a couple eye roll cheese moments but this definitely wasn't your typical DC....we are so serious....we are so dark movie. This felt more in the wheelhouse of a Marvel movie to me. The family really liked the Latino flair of the movie. I am not going to say it was... in great territory in terms of the best movies in the genre but it was worth seeing.

I just don't know what to make of this movie kicking off the Gunniverse. This movie was well underway before he took over and yet he said this is movie #1. Is that because he liked the tone and this is where it's going or because it's simply a new character he can incorporate? I am not sure this movie really does ANYTHING to clarify Gunn's vision.

P.S. Xolo from Cobra Kai was a great casting call for the lead.

Last edited: