Madame Web (Sony Spider-Man spinoff film)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dakota Johnson set to star in Spider-Man spin-off Madame Web for Sony

Spider-Man has some cool supporting characters in the comics, but, really, only so many of them seem like they should be able to carry a movie without the ol’ web-head swinging by. Venom did it, Morbius is doing it, and movies about Spider-Woman and Kraven The Hunter are apparently in the works, but when B-tier villains are getting solo stories (it’s true, don’t yell at us in the comments), is there really anywhere else for Sony to go with its somewhat MCU-adjacent line of Spider-Man-related movies?

Evidently yes, because the studio is making—of all things—a Madame Web movie, and it has chosen Dakota Johnson to star in it. We don’t know much about this movie, but Deadline says that S.J. Clarkson (a veteran of the Netflix Marvel shows, among other things) is directing and that “sources have stressed” that this movie might “turn into something else.”

But why? Well, traditionally, Madame Web is an old lady with multiversal precognition powers (she’s a mutant, X-Men-style, but we won’t tell Disney if you won’t) who generally spends all of her time in a char, seeing stuff that might happen in the future and warning Spider-Man and other Spider characters about it. She doesn’t really go on adventures or fight bad guys or anything.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure Marvel's involvement. If this is a Sony driven movie I won't hang my hat on the trailer which was decent. It seems they have not done well when outside of Marvel's creative team.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very different than the old lady in the comics.

You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Just the still of the realistic looking spider web has put me off. Hard-core arachnophobe here. If the still is that lifelike, I can't imagine what the trailer, and then the movie, is like.

And, fair warning--I've never put anyone on ignore, but please understand this is not a call for jokesters to put spider pics up. That will break my ignore streak.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Just the still of the realistic looking spider web has put me off. Hard-core arachnophobe here. If the still is that lifelike, I can't imagine what the trailer, and then the movie, is like.

And, fair warning--I've never put anyone on ignore, but please understand this is not a call for jokesters to put spider pics up. That will break my ignore streak.
my oldest boy has the same issue. He is a big tough kid,...football, body building, etc...
we had a country place in NM once...one night he is standing in the kitchen showing off the results of the days workout....when suddenly a wind scorpion,...or sun spider...runs out from under the counter...
LMAO...my boy let out a shriek that could shatter glass...jumped five feet in the air,..backwards..and landed on a dining chair with both fists clinched to his chest...rofl.... kill it pop kill it kill it kill it..... wind scorpions are scarey as hell looking...totally harmless, but damn, they are nightmare fuel.... the boy just dont do spiders,...and he dont wanna talk about it, lol

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think in the comics Madame Webb future is being binded to the "threads" that make up the multiverse and has a connection across the multiverse to those with "spider" powers. It is weird but it does align if Marvel is opening the threads of the multiverse.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose