Cards targeting LeBeau?

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
People said there was zero chance that Kurt Warner could get the Cards to the Super Bowl. :)

Respect your optimism, but we're barking about two different animals here.

LeBeau loves Pittsburgh, loves the Steeler organization and has been part of it since the beginning of time (it seems).

I prefer the Cards to the Steelers all day, and twice on Sundays, but realistically speaking-- he's at his dream job. He won't be leaving it to make a lateral at best move.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Respect your optimism, but we're barking about two different animals here.

LeBeau loves Pittsburgh, loves the Steeler organization and has been part of it since the beginning of time (it seems).

I prefer the Cards to the Steelers all day, and twice on Sundays, but realistically speaking-- he's at his dream job. He won't be leaving it to make a lateral at best move.
Yeah, I was only kidding. Cards will hire Norton or Horton. And we will all hear "who?" because Horton is basically an assistant DB coach.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
If some how, some way Whis lands Dick LeBeau I would be ecstatic. Talk about killing two birds with one stone, wounding the hated Stealers and elevating the Cardinals in one fell swoop.

I don't see it happening, but I didn't see a Super Bowl run in 2008. ;)

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Yeah, I was only kidding. Cards will hire Norton or Horton. And we will all hear "who?" because Horton is basically an assistant DB coach.

Horton is without a doubt not basically an assistant DB coach. LeBeau lets his coaches coach, that is why so many of them coach under the guy for so long and dont take many opportunties to leave. Horton has been under the guidance of Lebeau's system for more then 10 years, longer then Butler, as a player and coach. Horton is a highly respected coach in the coaching circles and knows the Lebeau zone blitz scheme like the back of his hand.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horton is without a doubt not basically an assistant DB coach. LeBeau lets his coaches coach, that is why so many of them coach under the guy for so long and dont take many opportunties to leave. Horton has been under the guidance of Lebeau's system for more then 10 years, longer then Butler, as a player and coach. Horton is a highly respected coach in the coaching circles and knows the Lebeau zone blitz scheme like the back of his hand.
I hope you are right, but I don't see his resume indicating more than him being DB coach for a long time. But what do I know? : prettymuchnothing:

EDIT: Further review indicates he has been DB coach a long time, not just assistant.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

Right on the $$$$, Joe. One actually could make the argument that Horton may be a better choice than Butler because two of the real keys to turning this defense around is finding the right role for Adrian Wilson and finding a way to turn DRC into one of the premier CBs in the NFL.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right on the $$$$, Joe. One actually could make the argument that Horton may be a better choice than Butler because two of the real keys to turning this defense around is finding the right role for Adrian Wilson and finding a way to turn DRC into one of the premier CBs in the NFL.
Right on.

:bhiich:

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Are you serious ?

This is Dick LeBeau. Unlike Grimm he is a proven winner, and coach.

Yeah, I think I would be all over getting Dick LeBeau into AZ, in a heart beat if the opportunity arose.

Grimm deserves to be questioned, but Dick LeBeau certainly does not.

The guys is beyond proven.

Dead serious. Because he is Dick LeBeau there is no reason he would ever leave the Steelers unless he was looking for warmer pastures to semi retire in otherwise he ain't movin. If he does, and for those reasons I would rather have a younger 100% committed guy. This is all moot anyway. Isn't he under contract? If so why would the Steelers let him go if they wouldn't let Butler go (in the past)?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Are you serious ?

This is Dick LeBeau. Unlike Grimm he is a proven winner, and coach.

Yeah, I think I would be all over getting Dick LeBeau into AZ, in a heart beat if the opportunity arose.

Grimm deserves to be questioned, but Dick LeBeau certainly does not.

The guys is beyond proven.

Yup. 12-33 as a head coach. Proven winner.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this would probably be the most shocking thing to ever happen to the Cards coaching wise if it came true. An icon, coaching one of the best defenses for the best franchise in football decides at 70 to uproot his entire life and go coach one of the worst defense for the worst franchise football? come on. that's just ridiculous and if it is our big plan... we're freaking ********.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What is his overall record of the teams he has been DC for? Look that up and get back to me would ya? Thanks in advance.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ESPN John Clayton this morning was on the Doug & Wolf show and said the chances of Dick LeBeau coming to the Cardinals are zero. He said that is loyal to the players and to Pittsburgh. His next move will be retirement.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I assure you, there is a zero percent chance LeBeau leaves Pittsburgh to come to Arizona as Defensive Coordinator. Not a single chance.

totally agree!!! Why would a coach at his age, leave a team that has a proven defense & team for a average at best defensive team, without a QB & likely loser in 2011? Aint happening!!!

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Played golf with LeBeau back about 8 years ago...great guy. Would be great if he wanted to come out here and finish up his HOF career and play some golf on the off days.

LeBeau if you read this, golf is on me any time you wanna play. :)

(LeBeau isn't coming here though, he will retire first)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What is his overall record of the teams he has been DC for? Look that up and get back to me would ya? Thanks in advance.

What's Russ Grimm's record of the teams he's been OL coach for? Look that up and get back to me, would ya? Thanks in advance.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What's Russ Grimm's record of the teams he's been OL coach for? Look that up and get back to me, would ya? Thanks in advance.
So are you arguing that Dick LeBeau isn't a good defensive coordinator?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
ESPN John Clayton this morning was on the Doug & Wolf show and said the chances of Dick LeBeau coming to the Cardinals are zero. He said that is loyal to the players and to Pittsburgh. His next move will be retirement.

Hey jammer...did Clayton have anything noteworthy to say?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hey jammer...did Clayton have anything noteworthy to say?

I heard most of the interview Mitch. As was stated, he felt LeBeau coming to the Cards was beyond ludicrous. Said LeBeau would retire before ever joining the Cards. Seems to think the plan is already in place for Butler to one day step in... said LeBeau is not going to pull a Paterno and that his day as a DC are drawing to a close...

Said he remains convinced that a new CBA will get done and a strike will be avoided. Might not happen until March or April - but a deal will get done. FWIW, I'm far less optimistic on that one, but, I'm no Jon Clayton...

Oh, he also will be at the Pitt-Jets game on Sunday and told Wolf that he'll be sure to say hello to his brother Craig who apparently is a sideline reporter for the Steelers...

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Wrong thread. We're talking about him as a DC, not a HC.

Also, consider he is a Hall of Fame defensive back. That probably factors into the equation of him being a winner.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
By the way. LeBeau coming here is a pipe dream. Even if there was a slight chance, Id want him to bring one of his position coaches with him whom he feels could succeed him once he eventually retires

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard