Zac Allen and Byron Murphy are free agents

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd pay...
Allen 12-15, but I think he'll be in the 17-20 range.
Murphy 9-12, but I think he'll be in the 14-16 range.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way he's signing in year 3 for $11m per year. He has the same agent as JJ Watt who is getting $14m at 31+. Last off season pure run stuffers with no pass rush like DJ Jones were signing for $10m.

His agent is Joseph Landrum of CAA. He represents some of the biggest names in the game. It's the agent Hopkins has signed with the find his next team. He wasn't born yesterday.

Maybe we could have got him for $14m last year vs $16m this year. But I imagine that had we signed Allen for $14m per last year with his 6 career sacks in 3 years and his less than stellar run stopping ability this board would have melted down.
Brit you can say no way but he was coming off an injury. I think he would have jump at an extended deal. You say he wouldn’t have , I said he would have. An injury last year would have left him holding the bag. If he took a 3 year extension last year he would have got paid now and if he’s the player some think he could hit a huge payday at 28 years old.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The calls to not re-sign both of these guys in order to tear it all down and start over are pretty funny. We have 10 guys under contract in 2025. 7 of them are from last year's rookie class. 1 of them is DJ, who likely won't be here anymore. This roster is already torn down. Somebody has to be re-signed at some point, and there aren't a ton of players on this team who are worthy of another contract.

Also, this team is 1-13 in their last 14 home games. The regular posters on this board might be able to sit through a total rebuild, but another year of only winning 1 home game will likely drive away a fair amount of the more casual fan base, which is bad for ticket sales.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Was anyone not surprised a little bit that Murphy didn’t get Transition Tagged to see if he could stay healthy and duplicate his play from last year?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I went and had a look at when we extended our own free agents last year because I think people are being a bit premature assuming we aren't re-signing Allen or Murph.

Ertz and Conner were announced on the 13th. Gardeck and Dogbe on the 14th. Lee and Brewer on the 17th. AJ Green was April 14th. Antonio Hamilton was April 26th.

The priority guys in Ertz and Conner didn't re-sign until 2 days before FA started. Looking at other teams it's similar.

So today or over the weekend are the realistic options. If they hit Monday without signing then it's less than 50% it happens.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way.

Allen's play in 2022 was comparable to 2021.

Murphy's slipped a little.
I disagree. It would have been a huge pay day for Allen. If he had suffered an injury like Kyler what would he be worth today? It’s a gamble I’m not sure he would have taken if 12-15m bonus was waved in his face. Allen dramatically increased his value this year. You can bet if he was a free agent last year he would not have been listed as a top 10 free agent.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I disagree. It would have been a huge pay day for Allen. If he had suffered an injury like Kyler what would he be worth today? It’s a gamble I’m not sure he would have taken if 12-15m bonus was waved in his face. Allen dramatically increased his value this year. You can bet if he was a free agent last year he would not have been listed as a top 10 free agent.
Allen stood to make like $20 million more by waiting a year. His agent would've told him that.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lower Lumbar Strain Grade 2

I believe that's a muscle tear so shouldn't be a long term issue.
All muscle strains are tears. The grade is the level of tearing. I currently have a level 1 hamstring strain and there is light bruising, but thankfully it's not level 2. I have a level 2 groin strain 18 months ago and couldn't drive for 2 weeks.

You must be registered for see images attach

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just curious how these guys are playing this season. Does anyone have their PFF grades? I'm wondering where they rank positionally.

These were two guys I definitely hated to see go at the time.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Just curious how these guys are playing this season. Does anyone have their PFF grades? I'm wondering where they rank positionally.

These were two guys I definitely hated to see go at the time.
Zach Allen has 19 pressures on the season. Top 40 of all players in the NFL. Deforest Buckner also has 19. Christian Wilkins has 20.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zach Allen has 19 pressures on the season.

Allen will count $19M against the cap next year. So basically the Broncos will be paying $1M per pressure next season at this point.

Allen (663 D Snaps) is currently ranked #81 on the sack list with 4 sacks on the season. That sack total is tied with Cardinals backup Victor Dimukeje (343 D Snaps) and Cardinals rookie BJ Ojulari (282 D snaps) who both have 4 sacks each.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Zach Allen has 19 pressures on the season. Top 40 of all players in the NFL. Deforest Buckner also has 19. Christian Wilkins has 20.
Seems like the kind of guy a team would want to keep around on a reasonable salary!

Reactions: PJ1

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Allen will count $19M against the cap next year. So basically the Broncos will be paying $1M per pressure next season at this point.

Allen (663 D Snaps) is currently ranked #81 on the sack list with 4 sacks on the season. That sack total is tied with Cardinals backup Victor Dimukeje (343 D Snaps) and Cardinals rookie BJ Ojulari (282 D snaps) who both have 4 sacks each.
Man, if sacks were the only factor in D-line play, that would be a really compelling stat!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, if sacks were the only factor in D-line play, that would be a really compelling stat!
True. Zach Allen does currently rank #70 overall for Tackles for a Loss (7 Total). So there is improvement there.

Although Dennis Gardeck also has 7 tackles for a loss and 5 sacks. Gardecks salary cap hit next season is $4M which is $15M cheaper than Allen's cap hit.

$4M sounds like a reasonable salary. $19M not so much.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
True. Zach Allen does currently rank #70 overall for Tackles for a Loss. So there is improvement there.
Zach Allen is a legit starter in the NFL - we need plenty of those! It's fun to try and make ourselves feel better about the current lack of talent on our D-line, but to compare a guy like Allen to Dimukeje or Ojulari as an overall player is surely a joke.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zach Allen is a legit starter in the NFL - we need plenty of those! It's fun to try and make ourselves feel better about the current lack of talent on our D-line, but to compare a guy like Allen to Dimukeje or Ojulari as an overall player is surely a joke.
But at $19 million?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
But at $19 million?
The Cards have plenty of money to work with, and could have structured that deal in any way they wanted. If they didn't give him a 7m cap hit this year, the average would be closer to 15m.

I don't think people understand what a decent starter on the D-line costs.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
True. Zach Allen does currently rank #70 overall for Tackles for a Loss (7 Total). So there is improvement there.

Although Dennis Gardeck also has 7 tackles for a loss and 5 sacks. Gardecks salary cap hit next season is $4M which is $15M cheaper than Allen's cap hit.

$4M sounds like a reasonable salary. $19M not so much.
Man, comparing edge players to IDL is a lot like comparing apples to oranges!

Imagine what Allen could do if he only had to worry about blockers on one side of him! Or not having to worry about competitive team football.