What to do with Marion?

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
We all know about the Marion trade saga and all that jazz. Marion wants(wanted) to be traded. He hasn't been treated fairly and he wants a very nice extension to stay here, which $arver most likely wont pay.

But, the more I watch the Suns this season, and Marion, it reinforces my feeling that if we lose Marion, we are much worse off. Now, I know that many of you do not want to resign Marion to a 3 year 30 million deal. Well, include me in that camp. But, I also think that its important for us to somehow keep him here. We already have enough defensive problems. Marion is a major contributor to our rebound total and gets so many steals. There are so many games where he has saved us and been huge for us. Even watching him on defense last night, he was amazing. If he didn't have all those steals last night, we wouldn't have been that close at all. No one else on the Suns plays defense that well and to that intensity maybe except for Raja.

Bottom line is, with the problems we're having this season, maybe the best thing to do is to do our best to resign Marion. I know it may be difficult. I don't want to overpay for him. If he wants some absurd amount of money, then we may have to just let him go. But, he will leave a major vacancy on this team that will definitely hurt us.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually don't feel that bad about 3 years 30M. I think he is looking for Rashard Lewis money.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually don't feel that bad about 3 years 30M. I think he is looking for Rashard Lewis money.

That would be a steal. He is probably worth $12M-$13M per year and if he is looking to get paid, it wont be in Phoenix.

OP
OP
scXfreakX

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Its still kind of a lot, considering we have guys like Alando, and the fact that Marion has had some problems with being the third guy. But, if we can do something we should. I just think 3 years 30m is kind of expensive, but if he plays this well all season, maybe that might change my mind.

mribnik

Reaction score
I honestly have no idea how to assess Marion's value. On the one hand, he's not the type of guy you run isolation plays with to get points in crunch time. On the other hand, he may just be the Suns best overall player. In addition, he barely ever gets hurt (I can't emphasize this enough. The guy is made of rubber. This has to go into the "value" calculation).

I know a lot of people on this board don't agree with this, but I think a legitimate case can be made that Marion's contract, as it is right now, is a good deal for him.

Watching the way Marion has played so far this year, especially after his trade demand, has made me think that Marion is really right in that he doesn't get the recognition he deserves, although I think he's starting to. If Amare goes to the all-star game over him, I'll be somewhat upset. Hopefully they both make it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be a steal. He is probably worth $12M-$13M per year and if he is looking to get paid, it wont be in Phoenix.

I doubt he will get that much. I think Marion's value is very hard to predict because of the "system" he plays in, eventhough he played the same before Nash got here.

OP
OP
scXfreakX

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
He doesn't get the recognition he deserves. And he never gets any love from the NBA. Well I shouldn't say that. When he does, he's underrated. But, considering what he's done in the past, and especially this season, a case can be made that maybe he's the guy that deserves a reward like this. But, you have to think what his mindframe is with this team. Like I said above, he demanded a trade before the season began. So, how do we know if giving him an extension will cure bad feelings. Maybe it would, and maybe it wouldn't.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I just wonder what Coach D is going to do if Marion does leave. He barely trusts any of the players on the bench to log any of those minutes and the Suns would have to overpay to get anyone of value to come here to replace Marion. I really think that the past three drafts are going to really haunt the Suns for years to come. In the latest Sports Guy article about the level of untradeable players he mentions what the Suns could be if they had held on to Deng and Rondo. I know that these picks have been cried about on this board and I really doubt that either of those two would have been given the chance to develop b/c MD wouldn't have played them but Deng is a talented player and Rondo has some skills too. Portland has about three of our picks and bought them for a fairly cheap price. The Suns continue to age without stocking anything for the future. Sports Guy also listed the 25 worst contracts in the league and 2 are for current Suns (Boris Diaw, Marcus Banks) and one is a contract awarded by the Phoenix front office (Quentin Richardson). Marbury makes the list but I am not sure if that was from the Suns FO or not. In all fairness, Nash is listed as the best contract so everything that they have done hasn't been terrible.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of us would complain with that contract. He wants something closer to double that -- and probably another year or two.

OP
OP
scXfreakX

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
That is the problem. That's why I want DJ and Strawberry to get some playing time. They are our future along with Amare and Barbosa. But, MD doesn't take any chances. Maybe the problem is Mike. Go ahead and shoot me. I said it. Maybe its Mike. Who knows? And why don't the Suns hire a good big man coach. Howard has Ewing for a reason. Look at the results.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just wonder what Coach D is going to do if Marion does leave. He barely trusts any of the players on the bench to log any of those minutes and the Suns would have to overpay to get anyone of value to come here to replace Marion. I really think that the past three drafts are going to really haunt the Suns for years to come. In the latest Sports Guy article about the level of untradeable players he mentions what the Suns could be if they had held on to Deng and Rondo. I know that these picks have been cried about on this board and I really doubt that either of those two would have been given the chance to develop b/c MD wouldn't have played them but Deng is a talented player and Rondo has some skills too. Portland has about three of our picks and bought them for a fairly cheap price. The Suns continue to age without stocking anything for the future. Sports Guy also listed the 25 worst contracts in the league and 2 are for current Suns (Boris Diaw, Marcus Banks) and one is a contract awarded by the Phoenix front office (Quentin Richardson). Marbury makes the list but I am not sure if that was from the Suns FO or not. In all fairness, Nash is listed as the best contract so everything that they have done hasn't been terrible.

The Suns would not necessarily have taken Deng and Rondo. They would have taken Iguodala and probably some PG that could shoot better than Rondo. I agree that the selling of picks will haunt the Suns in a big way. In about 2-3 years I would expect the Suns to be an average team at best. Maybe that is best though. Lose Marion, Nash breaks down, Amare breaks down, then the Suns end up with the #1 pick in 4-5 years and build a championship team around it. It's usually the super high picks that get you titles (TD, Shaq, Jordan, Robinson, Hakeem, ~Billups, etc).

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I doubt he will get that much. I think Marion's value is very hard to predict because of the "system" he plays in, eventhough he played the same before Nash got here.

It's not the system. He has been good his whole career and Nash is not getting Marion rebounds, blocks, and steals. On a lesser team, Marion would have less open threes for easy buckets but he would also be taking more shots so I would expect him to shoot 46%+ (which is good) instead of 50%+. His rebounds might drop to 8-9 if he plays with a better rebounder than Stat and/or plays SF (also the pace would be lower so less reb opportunities). He would still be a very good player, out-hustling everyone else.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
That is the problem. That's why I want DJ and Strawberry to get some playing time. They are our future along with Amare and Barbosa. But, MD doesn't take any chances. Maybe the problem is Mike. Go ahead and shoot me. I said it. Maybe its Mike. Who knows? And why don't the Suns hire a good big man coach. Howard has Ewing for a reason. Look at the results.

Mike hires his family, nepotism rules, we have Dan Dan Tony and his mother does the suns laundry and cooks the pre game meal.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns would not necessarily have taken Deng and Rondo. They would have taken Iguodala and probably some PG that could shoot better than Rondo. I agree that the selling of picks will haunt the Suns in a big way. In about 2-3 years I would expect the Suns to be an average team at best. Maybe that is best though. Lose Marion, Nash breaks down, Amare breaks down, then the Suns end up with the #1 pick in 4-5 years and build a championship team around it. It's usually the super high picks that get you titles (TD, Shaq, Jordan, Robinson, Hakeem, ~Billups, etc).

Billups? He sucks.

OP
OP
scXfreakX

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Billups doesn't suck. He hasn't been as good as a few years ago, but he certainly doesn't suck. He's still a great point guard and someone to watch for.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I just wonder what Coach D is going to do if Marion does leave.
That's a key point. The 'D'Antoni's and their tiny Assistant Coaches wouldn't know what to do with a lineup other than one medium sized big man and four light guys on the court.

If the D'Antoni's and Marion leave together, we'd have a chance at a well rounded coaching staff and team before Steve Nash would have to come down the court with a walker.

OP
OP
scXfreakX

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
That's why this whole thing is sketchy. I know this team could perform in a half court type of game, although not nearly as well as they are now.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I know this team could perform in a half court type of game, although not nearly as well as they are now.
Have the Suns out-rebounded their opponent more than once this season?

Without that, could we even have the variety of a half court segment and at least be equal on the boards?

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have the Suns out-rebounded their opponent more than once this season?

Without that, could we even have the variety of a half court segment and at least be equal on the boards?
Yah, they've outbounded their opponents 5 times. They went 4-1 in those games.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
10/30? You guys are crazy

He is asking for 3/60 and youre happy offering him HALF?!

This is how we lost JJ and TT. Not to mention that would make him ridiculously underpaid. He is totally worth more than 10/year. If he was offered 1 million more than flipping DIAW and two years less he would bolt straight to his media buddies and leak it, making us look like stubborn fools who dont know how to keep their talent past an initial contract.

I would start the negotiations at 3/40, he hasnt done anything to hint that his production is diminishing to the point that he wouldnt be worth something similar to what he is making now.

3/30 is very shortsighted. Marion has done nothing but kick ass this season, his 3pt shot is his only bad decision this season.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Billups? He sucks.

Billups is a future hall of famer who lead his pistons over the powerhouse lakers back in '04-'05. Even now he is one of the premier guards in the league, especially defensively. his game is pretty close to flawless, he does it all. how can you say he sucks? without him, the pistons don't win their division the past few years.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
While I agree that Billups rocks faces, I dont see what would make him hall of fame worthy.