What kind of team do you want to see the Suns build?

What kind of team do you want the Suns to build

• Run and gun! SSOL Baby! (Old Suns)

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Walk up, defensive oriented, grind it out (Memphis)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Ball control, ball movement, balanced defense (San Antonio)

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me, balance and ball movement is a beautiful thing to watch.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, balance and ball movement is a beautiful thing to watch.

I really like the direction the Raptors have taken. I wouldn't mind if the Suns travel a similar path.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I picked the "Ball control, ball movement, balanced defense" option, but it's hard to pick one. I want the Suns to be a balanced team, and the team that can grind it out when the game gets physical. There is no reason for that team to not be able to run.

If Len turns out to be as good as we all hope, there is no reason to not be a SSOL (Seven Seconds or Len) team that plays good defense and can rough other teams up.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I really like the direction the Raptors have taken. I wouldn't mind if the Suns travel a similar path.

I love what they've done. They have a bunch of guys who want to be there, they don't have big egos, not a single player is selfish, they have a good balance.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I vote for the ball control/ball movement/balanced defense approach.

To me, it seems like a no brainer.

Even if you hadn't ID'd it as Spurs style, Spurs win championships, Suns never have.

hafey2

Rookie
Reaction score
Stupid question. You build the best team you can with the available assets. This whole question of ideology which is rehashed and rehashed and rehashed ad nauseum on this board(and the reason this board has declined precipitously over the years) is the wrong question. You build the best team you can with the players you have. The pace as which the Spurs play has oscillated from positive to negative over the Duncan/Pop years depending on the composition of their team.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stupid question. You build the best team you can with the available assets. This whole question of ideology which is rehashed and rehashed and rehashed ad nauseum on this board(and the reason this board has declined precipitously over the years) is the wrong question. You build the best team you can with the players you have. The pace as which the Spurs play has oscillated from positive to negative over the Duncan/Pop years depending on the composition of their team.

Not a stupid question. It's about fan opinion. What kind of team do you want to watch? If you don't care, fine.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
First of all, JC, great thread. I've been wanting to create one like this for a while but I always forget. Thank you for doing the honors.

Secondly, yes I'll pick the Spurs/Hawks style of play. I don't mind the Grizz type play but it does get boring even when the teams are winning.

You ask any Spurs or Hawks fan if they ever get bored while watching their team continosly win and they'll say hell no. Ask a Memphis fan the same question and answer may not be all yes.

I definitely wish we would go away from the fast paced offense crap but unfortunately, Robert Sarver once again hired a guy from the small ball PHX era in Jeff Hornacek to lead the team.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What type of system would you say we currently have?

I don't even think it's Run N Gun (SSOL) because I remember that type of offense have a lot more ball movement than what we're running now.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I personally don't care as long as they build something that has a chance to go all the way to a championship.

Errntknght

Reaction score
What type of system would you say we currently have?

I don't even think it's Run N Gun (SSOL) because I remember that type of offense have a lot more ball movement than what we're running now.

Well, if we defended and rebounded, it would be Auerbach style. In truth, our defense is pretty good overall. Plenty of breakdowns but it is the best the Suns have defended that I can recall - I know that is not saying a lot.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoever picks this "Run and gun! SSOL Baby! (Old Suns)" deserves to be locked in a room for days on in and watch reruns of Jerry Springer all day every day for one straight month.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whoever picks this "Run and gun! SSOL Baby! (Old Suns)" deserves to be locked in a room for days on in and watch reruns of Jerry Springer all day every day for one straight month.

Its probably Jeff Hornacek or Robert Sarver if they have accounts on here.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
They need to be balanced. Solid on D. Better at rebounding. Running, but able to find a post presence when needed. Hopefully Len continues to grow in all areas. He is the key right now to them overtaking some teams.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I picked it because I believe you can play defense and run.

I also feel that denigrating the opinions of others because they don't match yours isn't necessary.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked it because I believe you can play defense and run.

I also feel that denigrating the opinions of others because they don't match yours isn't necessary.

Really Chris? Obviously, I don't agree with you but the rest was just humor. It wasn't a personal attack but maybe a smiley face would have helped. n terms of run and gun AND playing defense? Aside from the Showtime Lakers nobody has been able to do it consistently with any title success. It's a bad strategy IMO. There is a reason there isn't a plethora of teams that have done it with titles to show for it. Almost every modern team who has tried to conquer the run and gun strategy has ditched it.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...

You are likely associating running with not rebounding and playing defense. I believe that a team that is built appropriately can be successful even when playing at a faster tempo.

I feel that the current rules with defense (some zone allowed, can't back down your opponent, limited time in the lane for the offensive player) combined with the increased height and athleticism of the players make it harder to score in the half court set. Your offensive efficiency rises sharply when you are able to run.

Golden State leads the league in three things right now:

Pace, Defensive efficiency, and record. Playing at a high pace with good defense has translated to an .861 win percentage.

Will it translate into playoff success? Not sure, but the formula has been dominant so far this year.

Really the poll to me is do you want the team geared towards "Slow, Medium, or Fast" pace (since the poll associates pace in two of three options)

The ironic thing is that San Antonio has been in the top 10 in pace a few times and not so in others. Trying to associate a specific team to pace doesn't really work.

Last edited:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I am with you Chris. If the Suns had some better defensive rebounding and a coach that built more depth they would have been more successful in the playoffs even with the fast paced offensive style.

As it was they probably could have won it all without the cheating ref and the suspensions.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...

You are likely associating running with not rebounding and playing defense. I believe that a team that is built appropriately can be successful even when playing at a faster tempo.

I feel that the current rules with defense (some zone allowed, can't back down your opponent, limited time in the lane for the offensive player) combined with the increased height and athleticism of the players make it harder to score in the half court set. Your offensive efficiency rises sharply when you are able to run.

Golden State leads the league in three things right now:

Pace, Defensive efficiency, and record. Playing at a high pace with good defense has translated to an .861 win percentage.

Will it translate into playoff success? Not sure, but the formula has been dominant so far this year.

Absolutely agree and I think it will translate to playoff success. Teams like the Warriors, Blazers, Raptors, Mavericks and Hawks all play fast and each year the refs seem to tighten up just a bit in their playoff calls. They still allow more postseason contact but they are not allowing defenders to grab or re-direct the ball handlers like they were doing just 3 or 4 years ago.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am with you Chris. If the Suns had some better defensive rebounding and a coach that built more depth they would have been more successful in the playoffs even with the fast paced offensive style.

As it was they probably could have won it all without the cheating ref or the suspensions or the untimely injuries.

FTFY.

Steve

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the teams listed in association with Pace are the Suns, San Antonio, and Memphis...lets look at since 2010.

Suns: 8th San Antonio: 14th Memphis: 15th

Suns: 9th San Antonio 7th Memphis 18th

Suns: 9th San Antonio 6th Memphis 29th

Suns: 8th San Antonio 12th Memphis 30th

2014:

Suns 3rd San Antonio 19th Memphis 30th

Average over 5 seasons:

Suns: 7.4 San Antonio: 11.6 Memphis: 24.4

So Memphis really does slow it way down but prior to this season San Antonio and the Suns ran very similar paces.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW...sort of funny how consistent we were with pace prior to this season.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Back in the olden days the Celts won like 11 championships in 12 years with defense, rebounding and running.

The Suns seem to undervalue rebounding - Markieff is marginal for a PF and Marcus is a board a game behind him. Then they bring in Tolliver who's below Markieff - even Wright is no great shakes at 1 bd above Markieff. If it weren't for Tucker and Bledsoe we'd be getting killed. Well, Len and Plums do help a bit...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Back in the olden days the Celts won like 11 championships in 12 years with defense, rebounding and running.

The Suns seem to undervalue rebounding - Markieff is marginal for a PF and Marcus is a board a game behind him. Then they bring in Tolliver who's below Markieff - even Wright is no great shakes at 1 bd above Markieff. If it weren't for Tucker and Bledsoe we'd be getting killed. Well, Len and Plums do help a bit...
It looks like the Suns approach has been rebounds-by-committee, whether some of us like it or not.

As far as Len helping "a bit", if he can stay out of foul trouble, he'll grow into being our top rebounder. And if Hornacek lets him finish halves and games, regardless of how many mosquitos he has on the court.

You won't hear Alex Len asking the Guards for rebounding help as Plumlee did (via the Press). Hmmm, why does the 4 Seasons song "Walk Like A Man" come to mind? :)