What can (or should) be done to fix the team this season?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every thread is devolving into what's wrong with this team and then turns into various theories of how to fix it so I thought we could use a centralize place to address the issues. Is it health related? Will Beal returning fix things? Does a trade need to be made? Have the Suns tuned out Vogel? What is Kevin Young getting paid for?

For a team with championship aspirations to end up on the outside looking in at the play in tournament is a joke. Something needs to happen and happen quick if they want to salvage this season. Being at 500 when a 1/3 of the season has been played is indefensible, especially when we're awaiting the wonderful Christmas gift of a losing record.

So what needs to happen to right this ship?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I should have included a poll asking if there was any way Vogel should make it through the season. I'd say a loss on Christmas vs Dallas seals his fate. If we can blow them out then maybe, just maybe, this can be salvaged.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think they need to address bot the defensive schemes and the offensive sets.

Our defense is based on switching everything. Our guys hustle and try, but modern teams know how to use the two man game to get switches so the guy with the ball gets the match up he wants. We have to play more man defense. Plus, in our half court base defense they have our two weak side guys sag towards the key to help guard the paint.
Other teams will swing pass, or drive towards the paint from the strong side sucking in these defenders more, which leaves wide open weak side shooters for three. We are giving up a lot of corner threes now.

On Offense, first thing is ball control. We are giving up WAY too many turn overs. Either Booker or KD comes down the court and sets up to the left or right of the key, instead of the center of the court. Opponents then send two guys to attack the ball handler, and both KD and Book back up into that corner at the half court and trap themselves further. This makes it easier for the defense. Stay out of those corners. Second thing is both Booker and KD hold the ball for many seconds after crossing half court, getting our offense to start late into the shot clock on offense. Which leads to more turn overs. Screens, need to be set when these guys get into the half court set, and they need to get into the offense faster. That would allow back cuts, and secondary screens time to be set up.

There's more we can do, but they could start there.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I should have included a poll asking if there was any way Vogel should make it through the season. I'd say a loss on Christmas vs Dallas seals his fate. If we can blow them out then maybe, just maybe, this can be salvaged.
I think it depends. If it is a blow out embarrassing loss like in the playoffs with the Mavs, I don't think Ishbia will stand for that. Although, he wasn't owner when that occurred. So we don't know his patience level with this team.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score

Vogel's fate will be decided by Booker. If Booker doesn't think he's the right guy Vogel is toast, if a better fit is available.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think we gotta can Vogel. But I just don’t know that there’s a gentry out there available to take over and fix this.

I also see if there’s any available veteran pg out there for anything we have. I’m done with point book. It’s not that he’s hideous at it, but he’s not a top flight point guard and it lessens his sg guard. So in essence we’ve weakened ourselves at two spots.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Pretty much agree with the bulk of the stated opinions - they need a new coach and someone who can play PG on a consistent basis. Beal coming back isn't the answer to that issue, and "Point Book" really isn't either, even if he can be effective at that on an occasional basis.

I definitely feel that if the ship isn't righted within the next few games, like as in the Suns start effectively dominating the opposition, Vogel is toast. And I don't really see that happening, so I think he does get fired, but it's just a matter of when. I am pretty certain that another loss to a bad team like Portland and he will be gone within the same week.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't believe they can do anything to "fix" the roster. Perhaps there is an old point guard that has 8-10 minutes per game to contribute, but that's about it. Suns have what they have, and the only thing they can do is pull their heads out of their behinds and start playing ball. They are capable. First quarter against the Blazers was a thing of beauty, so we know they have the ability. Mistakes they make are fixable, but they have to decide they are going to fix it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see the answer on the current roster as constructed, unless it's hidden.

One option would be to add a dynamic coach the players respect. I don't know who that would be, unless Kevin Young or someone else has been taking a back seat to Frank Vogel.

The other option is to add a couple of players that strengthen the point guard and FC position and hope the team eventually comes together.

It would probably take both.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vogel's fate will be decided by Booker. If Booker doesn't think he's the right guy Vogel is toast, if a better fit is available.

Booker isn't a coach killer. Unless he's entirely different behind closed doors, he's loyal to a fault in regards to teammates and coaches. He always speaks so highly of everyone around him. It's going to take KD pushing him to get Vogel canned or KD making the call. Booker will sign off on it if someone close to him tells him to. I think he knows something needs to happen though.

A players only meeting is just 1 bad loss away. Either a blow out to a decent team like Dallas or a loss to a cellar dweller like Portland or Washington will get that ball rolling.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure the Suns have coaches needed to switch up this offense or fix the defense. Not to mention that mid season coaching changes rarely work. Having said that it appears Vogel isn’t that guy. Unless this team can turn it around by getting healthy which finally gives them an identity?!? Don’t see anything fixing this. Maybe a small trade can help but it isn’t fixing the entire mess. Maybe getting healthy is the only shot this team has.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too many cooks in the kitchen, one needs to go; either Vogel or Young. The question is, who is more at fault?

Vogel for experimenting too much? Now is it because of all the injuries we have so many different lineups?

Or does Young’s offense suck, there’s some evidence from last year that it was an issue but we have all new personnel.

Finally is the team just snake bit. Injuries, new cast, new staff, no time to gel yet? I’d just really like to see us balance out the lineups more often. I understand the group of Book, KD, Gordon, Allen and Nurk have the best point differential of any lineup. I’d like to see either Gordon come off the bench for scoring on the second unit. Iso ball pretty much negates the other 3 people standing around.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I have not been impressed with Young's offensive plays or lack of such. I'm afraid making him the head coach is not the answer either.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope, Vogel's fate will be determined by Ishbia.

Players on teams that are playing this bad don't have much say.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Really? How could there be any worse.

I would take Doc Rivers at this point. Dantoni is an option. Heck I would even give Nash a shot.
Nash would get the butts to the stadium, at least initially. There's that potential KD may not want him thing, though....

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As fans, we should be careful what we wish for, much like the nursery rhyme, “Humpty Dumpty.”

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I feel it's solidly in the coaching area. with the veteran team we have, it is possible to turn things around. They just need direction.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel it's solidly in the coaching area. with the veteran team we have, it is possible to turn things around. They just need direction.
Veteran teams are supposed to need less coaching not more. I was fine with hiring Vogel but I've yet to see anything from this team that's impressed me so I'm fine if he's shown the door. I just have serious doubts that it will fix anything, especially this season.