What is the plan?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Unless they make a hard push for Russell or Brogdon (which I don't see them doing right now) he will be back.
I know, I guess I should have said, what about Tyler Johnson's CONTRACT? It's still interesting that he hasn't picked up his option yet, which to me would be a no-brainer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless they make a hard push for Russell or Brogdon (which I don't see them doing right now) he will be back.

If the math is correct the Suns will have $16.7 million right now with Jackson.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I know, I guess I should have said, what about Tyler Johnson's CONTRACT? It's still interesting that he hasn't picked up his option yet, which to me would be a no-brainer.
If he had picked up his contract could he have been traded today?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So basically we used the TJ cap space for Saric and Baynes??? It seems to me that they are basically trying to move money for next season?

So basically, get more competitive.....season is lost ....we will get em next year.....if we can sign someone.

Is that what it seems like? I am trying to gather all the details with my phone.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If the math is correct the Suns will have $16.7 million right now with Jackson.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There are a lot of teams with money and there are only a couple of free agent PGs.
I don't think they're getting anybody.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So basically we used the TJ cap space for Saric and Baynes??? It seems to me that they are basically trying to move money for next season?

So basically, get more competitive.....season is lost ....we will get em next year.....if we can sign someone.

Is that what it seems like? I am trying to gather all the details with my phone.

Pretty much. Might as well forfeit the whole darn season. Who in their right mind would pay to watch this garbage on the court?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
But deduct whatever they have to give Oubre on an extension... say $16 million... minus his $9 million cap hold or whatever it is equals what, $7 million for a FA PG and to fill other positions? Removing Jackson adds another $6 million, so $13 million, approximately at best.

Of course, if Oubre walks, then you still have to use the $23 million to fill two spots, or hold on to Jackson and use $17 million on PG and other spots.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There are a lot of teams with money and there are only a couple of free agent PGs.
I don't think they're getting anybody.

I don't think they're planning to. I think the $$$ is going right in $arver's pocket.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone on the radio said the Suns are trying to use the old NFL trick of leveraging their draft to maximize the number of people they can get on the roster.

Has that ever worked in the NBA?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Someone on the radio said the Suns are trying to use the old NFL trick of leveraging their draft to maximize the number of people they can get on the roster.

Has that ever worked in the NBA?

Yes...if the goal was to lose as many games as possible. The Sixers did this a few seasons ago.

They could have just as easily bought a bunch of second round picks and selected players with at least as much talent and potential as Cam Johnson.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The plan seems to be get as many players as possible that won't run from the cops in handcuffs or get busted smoking pot.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Let's be real - the whole "cap space" thing is nothing but a long con - "We are maintaining cap flexibility so we can make a big push for FA's next year." And the next year after that... and the next year after that. It's a hollow promise that never materializes because Sarver knows darn well that no big money FAs are ever going to sign here. And he can use that empty promise to keep payroll relatively low and scam the suckers out there that a return to prominence is just "another year away" when "we will have all this cap space to sign someone REALLY good" to add to the few worthwhile talents we have accumulated through the draft.

It's a joke, and people apparently keep falling for it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Let's be real - the whole "cap space" thing is nothing but a long con - "We are maintaining cap flexibility so we can make a big push for FA's next year." And the next year after that... and the next year after that. It's a hollow promise that never materializes because Sarver knows darn well that no big money FAs are ever going to sign here. And he can use that empty promise to keep payroll relatively low and scam the suckers out there that a return to prominence is just "another year away" when "we will have all this cap space to sign someone REALLY good" to add to the few worthwhile talents we have accumulated through the draft.

It's a joke, and people apparently keep falling for it.

Bingo.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The plan seems to be get as many players as possible that won't run from the cops in handcuffs or get busted smoking pot.
With saric, cam, Jerome, and Baynes athleticism I don’t think it’s “won’t run from the cops” I think it’s “can’t run from the cops.”

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Booker is the only one left on this team who can create his own shot. Without an NBA point guard to facilitate things, this offense could be historically bad. Add to that the fact that this team is now full of sub-par defenders in Booker, Saric, Johnson, Okobo and Baynes, and this season looks to be beyond ugly. We might be longing for the "glory days" of the first three games of the 2017-18 season.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Did you know that Booker has the third largest guaranteed contract in the league?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's obvious the Suns wanted Hunter and when Atlanta moved up to 4 to pick him, they bailed out of 6.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you know that Booker has the third largest guaranteed contract in the league?

Total dollars but not annual average because his contract hasn't even kicked in yet. Many will surpass him this off-season.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Seems like they tried to get a bunch of "character" guys to improve PR.

I know I'm gonna be a LOT happier watching my Suns lose this year knowing they are really nice guys.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There plan is to utterly destroy the Suns and make a mockery of its fans, from what I saw today.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am getting the feeling monte wants to run a Houston style offense based on this draft.

He must want to just have booker iso then lob to ayton or pass it out to the corners for 3.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Alright. So I'm about as bummed as anyone. The way I see it they failed 3 times today.

1. I think the Warren trade was bad.
2. They completely got bamboozled out of the #6 pick.
3. Then they REEEEEEACHHED at #11.

But I took some time to think about it. So here's the "potentially" bright side of this debacle:

We tried the whole rebuilding through the draft with teenagers thing. It yielded some mixed results and very few wins. As we've seen drafting teens with potential is a never ending cycle of:

1. get high draft pick
2. draft teen with potential
3. have a losing season

1. get high draft pick
3. have a losing season

JJ is clearly on a path to get veterans and prospects with production rather than potential. He's tired of losing. So he's trying to break the cycle.

Argue about the draft position all you want, Cam and Ty were crazy productive in college. Cam shot 46% from 3 and Ty won a championship. That's crazy high production in this era of drafts (Nearly half of the 1st round are freshmen).

Then they went and got some vets. Baynes knows his role as a backup C and Soric is an experienced stretch 4. That's vet leadership at positions of need.

JJ is obviously looking for Juniors and Seniors that can help now. (Drafting Bridges last year is a FAR BETTER example of how to do this, but... ugh) And that's the goal. To send the message that we want to win now by acquiring players that can help us win now.

So I can get on board with that plan. Unfortunately JJ clumsily enacted the first phase of that plan and fell on his face in front of the world. And even though he's terrible at bartering, as evident from today, he still got the pieces he needed.

And take a moment to truly look at the next 10 draft picks after Cam. There isn't much to get excited about. Clarke is the closest interesting prospect that had production and he went 10 picks later. So if you're going to make big mistakes, make them in a draft that wasn't that great to begin with.

Like I tell my kids; learn from it, AND THEN NEVER DO IT AGAIN.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alright. So I'm about as bummed as anyone. The way I see it they failed 3 times today.

1. I think the Warren trade was bad.
2. They completely got bamboozled out of the #6 pick.
3. Then they REEEEEEACHHED at #11.

But I took some time to think about it. So here's the "potentially" bright side of this debacle:

We tried the whole rebuilding through the draft with teenagers thing. It yielded some mixed results and very few wins. As we've seen drafting teens with potential is a never ending cycle of:

1. get high draft pick
3. have a losing season

1. get high draft pick
3. have a losing season

JJ is clearly on a path to get veterans and prospects with production rather than potential. He's tired of losing. So he's trying to break the cycle.

Argue about the draft position all you want, Cam and Ty were crazy productive in college. Cam shot 46% from 3 and Ty won a championship. That's crazy high production in this era of drafts (Nearly half of the 1st round are freshmen).

Then they went and got some vets. Baynes knows his role as a backup C and Soric is an experienced stretch 4. That's vet leadership at positions of need.

JJ is obviously looking for Juniors and Seniors that can help now. (Drafting Bridges last year is a FAR BETTER example of how to do this, but... ugh) And that's the goal. To send the message that we want to win now by acquiring players that can help us win now.

So I can get on board with that plan. Unfortunately JJ clumsily enacted the first phase of that plan and fell on his face in front of the world. And even though he's terrible at bartering, as evident from today, he still got the pieces he needed.

And take a moment to truly look at the next 10 draft picks after Cam. There isn't much to get excited about. Clarke is the closest interesting prospect that had production and he went 10 picks later. So if you're going to make big mistakes, make them in a draft that wasn't that great to begin with.

Like I tell my kids; learn from it, AND THEN NEVER DO IT AGAIN.

Yeah overall I don't think it's horrible - but it could have been better. At least we got 3 very good shooters.

What concerns me, is I see no sign of them doing anything in free agency now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard