What is the plan?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep! That would create almost $13M in addition to $13M they already have (assuming Spalding and Holmes are gone.)

I'll believe Sarver eats Johnson's contract AND then spends another 26 million to improve the team when I see it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, basically it involves taking two hits of acid and then once completely off your rocker, involves pulmonary pressure by the lungs which leads to the vocal folds creating sounds via quasi-periodic vibration.

FTFY

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All these shooters drafted...does that mean a legit PG is coming?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
unless Ayton takes a MASSIVE step forward, that looks like a 25 win team to me. Hopefully Monty and his staff can help him do that. Maybe they're better offensively, but defensively, they're just as bad as last year.

But good lord... that bench. I mean... a bench of Ty Jerome, Bridge, Johnson, Baynes and Spaulding is completely atrocious.

Well, I don't agree.

First off we had the starting lineup of Tyler Johnson, Booker, Oubre, Bridges and Ayton for all of about 10 games last year - in those games they went about 500.

Just having that group play the majority of the season should get us to 30 or so wins - especially when you consider the improvement that bridges, booker and ayton should make.

Saric should be a plus - we did not have warren when that 5 was together.

I would hope, Monte can improve the team defense as well - that alone could win us 5 games or so.

So - I think you are too negative on that roster.

If DLO is available and the suns don't go after him - yes I am going to be pissed. I don't think that quality of PG will be available in FA next year, and it would be completely stupid not to go after him if he is willing to sign here.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, I don't agree.

First off we had the starting lineup of Tyler Johnson, Booker, Oubre, Bridges and Ayton for all of about 10 games last year - in those games they went about 500.

Just having that group play the majority of the season should get us to 30+ wins - especially when you consider the improvement that bridges, booker and ayton should make.

I would hope, Monte can improve the team defense as well - that alone could win us 5 games or so.

If DLO is available and the suns don't go after him - yes I am going to be pissed. I don't think that quality of PG will be available in FA next year, and it would be completely stupid not to go after him if he is willing to sign here.
Wow. So what are you predicting win wise? I mean you started at 30 and already added 5 with monty. What’s your prediction? What if they add dlo? I mean you’ve got to be advocating .500+ if they add dlo by your logic, right?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. So what are you predicting win wise? I mean you started at 30 and already added 5 with monty. What’s your prediction? What if they add dlo? I mean you’ve got to be advocating .500+ if they add dlo by your logic, right?

Yes, if they add dlo, I think a .500 record would be attainable. But honestly I don't think they are going to.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want no part of guessing win total myself until I see where they are going with PG. This motley crew is probably the most unpredictable I have seen in terms of roster from the Suns in a long time other than I don't think it's a playoff roster by any stretch as it stands. I still stay under .500.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't agree.

Just having that group play the majority of the season should get us to 30 or so wins - especially when you consider the improvement that bridges, booker and ayton should make.

I am mostly with you but I'm an optimist when it comes to the Suns. I'm not sure about the win total but I can see how you get there. It will be nice if it happens.

The Suns are probably looking to add a point guard like Rubio.

If the Suns can keep Oubre, add a point guard and someone like Trey Lyles, I think they will be better than expected.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am mostly with you but I'm an optimist when it comes to the Suns. I'm not sure about the win total but I can see how you get there. It will be nice if it happens.

The Suns are probably looking to add a point guard like Rubio.

If the Suns can keep Oubre, add a point guard and someone like Trey Lyles, I think they will be better than expected.
Oubre
Lyles
Pg

What universe are you visiting?

I’ll be shocked if we do more than Oubre.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Here’s my call:

No other shoe drops . . . as usual

I will be very surprised (as in shocked) if anything else of real consequence happens. I would almost 100% guess the rest of the off season consists of resigning Oubre and adding someone like Rubio (or lesser... uggh).

And I don't think Oubre coming back is an ironclad lock either. If the Suns get into a bidding war for him, I expect they will eventually fold there, too. Then take whatever cap space they have and either sit on it (for "next year" *eyeroll*), or use it on whatever second tier FA is left that can't find a home.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre
Lyles
Pg

What universe are you visiting?

I’ll be shocked if we do more than Oubre.

I do think the Suns will add a point guard and keep Oubre. I'm hoping the market is not that big for Lyles but we shall see.

In regard to the universe thing, it's colorful but doesn't add much.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only move that will boost my optimism is DLO because of his age. Possibly Rubio since I have been a fan of in terms of his passing for years so that would help. Neither Beverly, Lyles or Collison excite me one bit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at what is possible. It's hard to see the Suns trading Josh Jackson at the moment with limited assets.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

The Suns can still reach max cap space ($32.7 million) after the acquisitions of Johnson, Saric, Jerome and Baynes, according to @cleantheglass' salary sheet, with three moves:

- Trade Josh Jackson
- Trade Elie Okobo or De'Anthony Melton
- Stretch Tyler Johnson's contract

9:30 AM - 21 Jun 2019

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking at what is possible. It's hard to see the Suns trading Josh Jackson at the moment with limited assets.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

The Suns can still reach max cap space ($32.7 million) after the acquisitions of Johnson, Saric, Jerome and Baynes, according to @cleantheglass' salary sheet, with three moves:

- Trade Josh Jackson

Well, they can do it - a protected first will get Jackson traded. I mean why would they need 32 million only two players would be Kyrie or Kemba and both seem very unlikely.

For DLO the max is 27 million - we would only need to waive and stretch Tyler Johnson.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

- Trade Josh Jackson

Who would we sign with the 30% max? Kyrie?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah - I don't see how. He just bought a new house in Jersey. Kemba said he is very open to staying in Charlotte too - but he could be possible I guess.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, they can do it - a protected first will get Jackson traded. I mean why would they need 32 million only two players would be Kyrie or Kemba and both seem very unlikely.

For DLO the max is 27 million - we would only need to waive and stretch Tyler Johnson.

Solid points all. I think Sidery is simply showing what can be done to acquire cap space. I don't think the Suns are going to spend anywhere near that amount on a player.

Hopefully the Suns have not ruled out signing Russell if he hits free agency.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

If Brooklyn strikes out in free agency they’ll match any offer for Russell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I do think the Suns will add a point guard and keep Oubre. I'm hoping the market is not that big for Lyles but we shall see.

In regard to the universe thing, it's colorful but doesn't add much.

Not sure about Lyles (not that familiar with him), but I agree that they will add a veteran PG.

While I am a little disappointed in what happened yesterday, I do think Jones has a plan that he is following and executing. He wants older, proven players who bring something to the table right now. Both of the guys they drafted are older with proven skills. It's the complete opposite of the McD approach. They also added Baynes and Saric- players with certain skills and some playoff experience. They also happen to be on reasonable, expiring contracts. Theoretically, they added two actual NBA players to the roster, and two guys with a reasonably high floor, though likely a low ceiling. I just don't see how they are NOT going to add a veteran point guard. I think Jones has a plan and he is following it. Veteran point guard has to be a part of that plan. Now, we can debate whether or not it's a good plan, we can debate whether or not he is executing the plan efficiently, but I think it's a fact that he has a plan and is following it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about Lyles (not that familiar with him), but I agree that they will add a veteran PG.

While I am a little disappointed in what happened yesterday, I do think Jones has a plan that he is following and executing. He wants older, proven players who bring something to the table right now. Both of the guys they drafted are older with proven skills. It's the complete opposite of the McD approach. They also added Baynes and Saric- players with certain skills and some playoff experience. They also happen to be on reasonable, expiring contracts. Theoretically, they added two actual NBA players to the roster, and two guys with a reasonably high floor, though likely a low ceiling. I just don't see how they are NOT going to add a veteran point guard. I think Jones has a plan and he is following it. Veteran point guard has to be a part of that plan. Now, we can debate whether or not it's a good plan, we can debate whether or not he is executing the plan efficiently, but I think it's a fact that he has a plan and is following it.

I think there is definitely a plan as evidenced by the moves the Suns made on draft day.

The Suns are going to add a point guard but it may not be the impact player fans are expecting. At this point in time I think a player like Rubio is the most the fans can expect but the Suns will likely have Tyler Johnson and Ty Jerome to help at this position.

The moves were made to improve the overall talent on the team but Ayton, Bridges, Oubre and Booker are a nice nucleus with an eye towards making more moves next summer with the cap space.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think there is definitely a plan as evidenced by the moves the Suns made on draft day.

The Suns are going to add a point guard but it may not be the impact player fans are expecting. At this point in time I think a player like Rubio is the most the fans can expect but the Suns will likely have Tyler Johnson and Ty Jerome to help at this position.

The moves were made to improve the overall talent on the team but Ayton, Bridges, Oubre and Booker are a nice nucleus with an eye towards making more moves next summer with the cap space.

It's always about "next summer", isn't it?

Like I said, false hope. Sarver is banking on that (no pun intended).

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It's always about "next summer", isn't it?

Like I said, false hope. Sarver is banking on that (no pun intended).

This x1000...

I guess some people have to have a brick wall fall on them before they ever get it.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I agree. I keep coming back to the "NBA-level players." There is a nucleus of Booker, Ayton, Oubre, and Bridges. After that, the Suns have Johnson who is overpaid, but he is a legitimate NBA-level player. Saric and Baynes are as well. Chances are good that the two draft picks are going to be competent NBA players even if they end up being career backups. That's seven legitimate NBA players, and two older rookies who *should* be able to contribute some. Even if Rubio is all they get, that's pretty decent.

Rubio/ Booker/ Oubre/ Saric/ Ayton with Johnson, Bridges, and Baynes off the bench- that's eight legitimate NBA players. Then you have Jerome and C. Johnson probably contributing some, along with one of the PG rookies from last year who don't get traded. On top of that, there will probably be some money leftover. This is all not including Jackson. I am assuming he is done in Phoenix, and if he gets traded, stretched, etc, I am assuming that cap space would end up being used on another rotation player. I don't think this team competes for a playoff spot, but they do look like an actual NBA team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree. I keep coming back to the "NBA-level players." There is a nucleus of Booker, Ayton, Oubre, and Bridges. After that, the Suns have Johnson who is overpaid, but he is a legitimate NBA-level player. Saric and Baynes are as well. Chances are good that the two draft picks are going to be competent NBA players even if they end up being career backups. That's seven legitimate NBA players, and two older rookies who *should* be able to contribute some. Even if Rubio is all they get, that's pretty decent.

Rubio/ Booker/ Oubre/ Saric/ Ayton with Johnson, Bridges, and Baynes off the bench- that's eight legitimate NBA players. Then you have Jerome and C. Johnson probably contributing some, along with one of the PG rookies from last year who don't get traded. On top of that, there will probably be some money leftover. This is all not including Jackson. I am assuming he is done in Phoenix, and if he gets traded, stretched, etc, I am assuming that cap space would end up being used on another rotation player. I don't think this team competes for a playoff spot, but they do look like an actual NBA team.

And when they don't sign a point guard or re-sign Oubre?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard