What Changed?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Up to a few days ago the Suns were deemed certain to match with JJ to make a push this summer. The nature of the contract was obvious, the amount of front loading clear, and the fact that the Suns would have luxury cax problems starting next season seemed self evident.

So what changed? Let us assume for the moment that it isn't just Sarver being an idiot (as one thread suggests).

1. Perhaps the Suns are fairly sure that Finley will be on their team. Yes, it is always possible that Cuban will pass up saving $51 million or find some sucker to take that contract off his hands. But the Suns may feel certain that Cuban will let Finley go and be able to us the Nash connection to get him signed.

2. The Suns MIGHT have a trade in mind that would use the trade exemption and one of the draft picks. For example, a sign and trade for Zaza Pachulia with the Bucks seems feasible. He's their third string center and has more value than the Bucks are likely to be willing to pay. Unloading him for a draft pick gets the Bucks something and makes sure he goes to the other conference.

3. The Suns may have backup point guard lined up. This may be wishful thinking, but the Suns might use the LLE on a PG and the player would know he would actually get minutes. With JJ on the team that would not be so certain.

I don't know if they have something else lined up. I hope so, because this could be a very painful season if they haven't.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Sarver got an excuse not to match when JJ went public.

That is the only thing that changed, everything else was already being looked at since FA started.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
3) JJ might have become a real ass about things behind closed doors. He could have just been doing a PR spin just in case the Suns were going to match

4) When players say they want to leave, the Suns grant them their wish every time. Seriously can someone name me somebody who told the Suns' FO office that he wanted to leave but didn't have their wish granted?

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sarver's eyes probably lit up after seeing JJ going public with those comments, as thegrahamcrackr stated.

Now he doesnt look that bad since it was JJ who wanted out. Anyways the suns still got ripped with this trade. Diaw can turn out to be a good role player, but protected first round picks aren't gonna cut it. Atleast a guaranteed lottery pick would of been okay.

The trade exemption was included because the SUNS already have something lined-up just in case. Hopefully it isnt too disapointing though.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
jandaman said:
The trade exemption was included because the SUNS already have something lined-up just in case. Hopefully it isnt too disapointing though.

They aren't included in trades. It is an automatic mechanism when a team sends out more payroll than they take back.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From the NBA's standpoint, it will JJ's almost $11.6 million to Diaw's $1.1 million. Since JJ will be a BYC guy, it will mean that 1/2 of the salary will treated as a trade exemption or roughly $5.3 million.

The Suns cannot afford to let the trade exemption and draft picks go to waste. They really must do something soon if they hope to regain their credibility.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
From the NBA's standpoint, it will JJ's almost $11.6 million to Diaw's $1.1 million. Since JJ will be a BYC guy, it will mean that 1/2 of the salary will treated as a trade exemption or roughly $5.3 million.

The Suns cannot afford to let the trade exemption and draft picks go to waste. They really must do something soon if they hope to regain their credibility.

In your scenario the exception is 4.7 million (5.8 - 1.1)

However, JJ's starting salary should be 12,375,000 because that is the max allowable. (25% of 49.5) Subtract Diaw's salary of 1,127,280

That leaves a trade exception of 5,060,220

I agree the exception has to be used this summer, and I expect it to.

nzcloud

Reaction score
Another scenario:
Sarver & BC called Amare, and he agreed with management to let JJ go for the sake of locker room chemistry.

I doubt Amare/JJ could be the combination of the future, as many of us expected. They just do not have that chemistry on & off the court.

spikecop02

Registered
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:

That is the only thing that changed, everything else was already being looked at since FA started.

Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:

This has to be exactly what happened. "Donald" Sarver found an escape.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Another scenario:
Sarver & BC called Amare, and he agreed with management to let JJ go for the sake of locker room chemistry.

I doubt Amare/JJ could be the combination of the future, as many of us expected. They just do not have that chemistry on & off the court.

you left out the last part of the conversation, Saver asked Amare right before the end of the conversation if he would be willing to take 35 million over 5 years because the max is a lot of money that Tucson Boobi foam finger can send to the U of A.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard