We're still a struggling team, undoubtedly

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I haven't trusted the key three of this team entirely - the GM, HC, and QB. I'm not sure which part is going to be a true piece of our future.

Keim's pieces got burned today. While an injured roster isn't his fault, drafted personnel is really, really bad. Byron Murphy's play could be replaced by just about any other random slot CB in the league. We're already running out of guys to be optimistic about. This trickles down to his coaching choice and QB.

I'll place Kliff and Kyler together here. Is Kliff an incompetent coach, with all of these checkdowns, or is Kyler pulling a Matty Heisman, failing to look downfield? I really don't know.

But, what stood out to me was when I identified a simple mesh, and Kyler seemingly forgot to pay attention to the routes underneath, only going long. It was in the 2nd quarter, I think. Larry and Kirk crossed over the middle.

You must be registered for see images attach

I can't guarantee this was the pattern, but it looked similar. H & Y were barely covered, with defenders five yards off the player, and a similar yard to gain from this pattern. Kyler holds the ball, and instead of hitting H/Y, loads back to launch the ball in an uncharacteristic motion to launch for the X, likely his first read. Instead, it led to a fumble as they hit him as he reeled back to launch for the distance.

I obviously didn't create this pic, but it's a mesh play as I saw it at the bar.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have to agree Byron Murphy appears to be a major liability, and he isn't going to learn how to be faster.

It's pretty obvious to me Joseph knows it and is telling him to give a huge cushion because he cannot cover anyone at all without one.

Safety play was atrocious today, and Pat P has lost a step.

Add to that that Chandler Jones can't ever seem to get home anymore, and the D has got some gigantic problems.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
I would say the blame for this loss lands squarely on KKs poor play calling, but to be fair....the defense played like poo.
That’s my summary of this game.
Hope a leader shows up in the locker room full of wasted talent.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well last week was supposed to be the character check of this team. What do we call this weeks theme. I just want to see competent football on both sides of the ball with an attitude, especially on defense. I long for the days of Swann / Dockett blowing people up. We don’t have a mean MF on this defense in my opinion

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Defense no pressure, can't tackle and can't cover. Looked like a game from last year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Defense no pressure, can't tackle and can't cover. Looked like a game from last year.
Can’t rush the b passer+can’t stop the run+can’t cover receivers+ putting this defense on the field with a hurry up no huddle offense that goes 3 and out= disaster.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I would say the blame for this loss lands squarely on KKs poor play calling, but to be fair....the defense played like ****.
That’s my summary of this game.
Hope a leader shows up in the locker room full of wasted talent.
Playing 12 minutes in the first 1/4 didn’t help the defense any, top was not good, was not planned, but not good, after going for the throat and missing on the first drive, check down city.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This defense could use about 3-4 draft players in 2021, will SK be selecting these players? Because if so I am scared. Oh and our number 8 pick "still needs time." Yeah, well, your third and fourth-round picks need time, the 8th pick in the draft should come in and contribute positively immediately in some aspects of the game.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This defense could use about 3-4 draft players in 2021, will SK be selecting these players? Because if so I am scared. Oh and our number 8 pick "still needs time." Yeah, well, your third and fourth-round picks need time, the 8th pick in the draft should come in and contribute positively immediately in some aspects of the game.
I don't want to trash Simmons in any way, given this offseason, and his defensive coordinator that doesn't know how to diversify a scheme.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't want to trash Simmons in any way, given this offseason, and his defensive coordinator that doesn't know how to diversify a scheme.

I understand that logic, but we aren't a team that can afford our 8th pick to take 2-3 years to figure it out. Only talented teams can afford that luxury and its evident we are at best a so-so team who could really use the 8th pick in the draft to step up. If this pick doesn't pan out Keim is as good as done at least in the near future, he's had abysmal drafting at times.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I understand that logic, but we aren't a team that can afford our 8th pick to take 2-3 years to figure it out. Only talented teams can afford that luxury and its evident we are at best a so-so team who could really use the 8th pick in the draft to step up. If this pick doesn't pan out Keim is as good as done at least in the near future, he's had abysmal drafting at times.
Keim sucks in the draft. Simmons doesn't. I'll plant my flag on this one. We can rip me apart in the future if Simmons doesn't make something of himself on his rookie contract, unless the world falls apart.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I certainly want Simmons to work out I really do but with the past two games and him needing "time" its just all frustrating at this point.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I certainly want Simmons to work out I really do but with the past two games and him needing "time" its just all frustrating at this point.
Bro, we snagged an elite talent. Patience is crucial.

...It might be time to fire Keim (and god, Kliff, but no one will buy in for two years), but Simmons will crush it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson