Weirdly Positive

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I cannot remember being this positive heading into the offseason after a dumpster fire of a season in...ever! Weird, right, that I'm even at all optimistic? Kyler, well, he's done enough to earn an extra year. He wasn't doing so well, and I thought that was long enough to make the call on him. I thought wrong. He turned it around. Small sample size, and I'm still far, far from sold on the kid, but for 2024? He's the guy. The offensive line doesn't worry me much, as I have faith the team can build it right. Wow, when's the last time anyone could say that about the Cards--with a straight face, at least. We're in position to get top talent in the draft, and should take advantage of that, and we have plenty of FA bucks to spend on our maaaaaaaaany holes. I just hope Monti doesn't go into this offseason conservative. If we want to compete, he has to attack this offseason. We'll see how that goes. For right now, I'll say I'm (very) cautiously optimistic.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I cannot remember being this positive heading into the offseason after a dumpster fire of a season in...ever! Weird, right, that I'm even at all optimistic? Kyler, well, he's done enough to earn an extra year. He wasn't doing so well, and I thought that was long enough to make the call on him. I thought wrong. He turned it around. Small sample size, and I'm still far, far from sold on the kid, but for 2024? He's the guy. The offensive line doesn't worry me much, as I have faith the team can build it right. Wow, when's the last time anyone could say that about the Cards--with a straight face, at least. We're in position to get top talent in the draft, and should take advantage of that, and we have plenty of FA bucks to spend on our maaaaaaaaany holes. I just hope Monti doesn't go into this offseason conservative. If we want to compete, he has to attack this offseason. We'll see how that goes. For right now, I'll say I'm (very) cautiously optimistic.
Do we need to come do a wellness check?? lol

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very well said. It was just 4 weeks ago I was hoping Kyler retired.
I think the scheme and Kyler along with the team has finally come together.
We have gotten to a place where Kyler can be leaned on to win a game but not solely dependent on him.
I hope Monte doesn’t assume the offense is good enough. I know the defense has needs. But finish off the offense and solidify this side of the ball.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is exactly how you should feel after a brilliant job of tanking. It’s almost impossible to accomplish that so Ossenfort probably should be (but won’t be) Executive of the Year.
Eh, no. Monti made plenty of mistakes. I'm just hoping he learns from them. Also, he needs to not repeat last year's draft strategy or FA approach. He must be aggressive now that we're trying to compete, or we won't.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was feeling the same. I was really hoping Prater would make the kick. The Seahawks had me hating them even more than usual. After the game I was good with the performance and looking forward to the offseason and the beginning of next season. Feel real good about things. Watching us run the ball is a thing of joy. And yes after a four win season.

legend

Veteran
Reaction score
Man I love these coaches !
Young, smart, strategic far beyond their years.
This is gonna be a fun off season, Kyler and coaching in lockstep.
Light goes on for McBride - Wilson flashing - Connor bringin' the hammer - Froholdt is the best center I've seen on this team.
Good young Tackle (sure gets a lotta grief for a rookie) . .
Defense needs some talent up front - on the edges - . .
I think they will get it squared away . . got a full bag o hopium.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing weird about what I expected. I knew we would be competitive, and we were. I knew we didn’t have enough talent yet to actually win , and we didn’t. I knew we would play hard for JG, and we did. I knew Murray would improve us as a team, and he did. And MO has put us in a nice position with a top 4 pick, like 13 draft picks, and a ton of FA money to spend. Only 1 other 4 win Cardinal team has had me this positive about our future. And that was Coryell’s first season in 1973. And we all know what happened in 74!

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am pretty sure everyone here knew we were going to be trash. I personally thought we were going to get steam rolled every game and the towel was thrown in for the season at week 1 but I like the effort and fight this team had. Games were more enjoyable than I expected.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Agree Stout. The optimism for me is simply because the Cards seem to have a solid coaching staff in place.

We aren't 4-12 with Kliff( or one of the many other dreadful coaches we have seen over decades) which requires straight up hopium heading into following seasons.

Bidwill finally deciding to hire completely outside the orginization(and actually letting them do their job) has brought about this entire reality where cautious optimism is realistic.

You are correct that Monti is still a wildcard though. Gannon being a solid coach won't matter much if Monti bungles FA/draft the next couple seasons.