Wearing Rose Colored Glasses

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
It is not hard to find reasons to worry and it is easy to overestimate the moves of the competition. Here is Coro:

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/34153

The West is brutal. The Lakers might be better by putting Pau Gasol at power forward with Andrew Bynum's return. Houston might be better with Ron Artest on board and Rafer Alston maintaining his point guard play. Utah is being ridiculously underrated. James Posey was a brilliant pickup for New Orleans to add to its four stars and an improving young player in Julian Wright. San Antonio will have a rough time without Manu Ginobili but everyone has learned the lesson about counting the Spurs out too early. Dallas and Phoenix are both teams that have resided in elite territory but are seen on the decline. You have to assume those are seven playoff teams and that Portland is ready to hop over Denver and Golden State with those teams' significant losses. It's hard to see any other team in the playoff mix. And as long as Kobe Bryant's fine, the conversation can start with the Lakers.

...With O'Neal's history, there probably is an assumption that he he will miss 20 to 30 games this season so that makes it a nine-man mix automatically at times with unavoidable injuries coming up at others. As far as getting rid of someone, this seems to be the roster that the Suns will stick with for a while.

What about the Suns? To say anything good is to get accused of wearing rose colored glasses. So here is the rose colored view of why the Suns have a chance of being in the elite. Obviously this might not happen, but is not out of the question.

1. DRAGIC: For Nash to play only 32 minutes a game leasves 16 minutes to be covered, or roughly a third of the game. If Dragic has game, this will have a huge impact on the Suns competativeness when Nash is out. If Dragic is effective, it will and leave a more effective Nash at game end.

Dragic is supposed to have very good court vision If he can get more producitivty out of Barbosa when Nash is out. Dratic can play with Barbos awho is much better off the ball and Dragic is better defender who can compensate for Barbosa's defensive weaknesses better than Nash.

Porter taled about Dragic's ability to run the break but also the pick and roll as well as the drive and kick, so Dragic should be able to do many of the Nash plays even if not as well.

2. BARNES: They are looking to start Barnes where he would get the benefit of Nash passing. Check some of the youtube clips on message 78. He is a lot better than Giricek and COULD be a good three point shooter. http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f7/barnes-to-start-ahead-of-hill-119348-6.html

Rosie glasses points out that in 2006-07 Barnes had a breakout year, but last season was overwhelmed by the passing of his mother. Playing with Nash and more open looks should help, but just a new environment should help.

3. HEATHLY HILL: Grant Hill suffered an appendectomy in Jan which aggravate an old hernia injury that had been under control. The combination was very hard to recover from and the short bench meant he never really recovered and kept reaggravating it. Hill is now recovered, but to be safe the Suns want him to play fewer minutes. The rose glasses point out that he was averaging just under 16 ppg prior to his operation.

4. LOPEZ GIVES BIG DEPTH: Last year D'Antoni only played Skinner 12.8 minutes in 66 games. Every report has suggested that Lopez will be a real contributor this year and with 9'5" reach mean there will be a serious shot blocker on the floor all the time. The Rosie glasses say he will be a big part of the rotation and help limit the number of minutes Shaq plays in preparation for the playoffs.

5. USE OF SHAQ WILL BE BETTER THIS YEAR: Even at far less than 100% last year, Shaq averaged 61.1% from the fiield and the team's overall scoring was just a couple of tenths of a point less than the year before. Reports that Shaq is in better condition (not much lighter but with more muscle and less fat). Rosie glasses points out that the Suns training staff is exceptional at getting guys ready to play and hopefull that will mean Shaq too.

On the floor, what matters is Shaq's mobility, which by most reports seems pretty good. If he can move, he's one of the most dominant low post players in the last 30 years and will typically draw double teams. Last year they didn't work hard enough at getting him the ball or use his passing skills on kick outs and cutters. Rosie glasss points out that it is hard to guard three guys who each require double teams.

6. Focus on Defense: In the last 20 games of the regular season, the Suns defense was dramatically improved with the addition of Shaq, but that was without a coherent defensive scheme. On a team with as many athletic players, a heavier emphasis on defense could make this one of the better defensive teams in the NBA. It sounds like Cartright is going to be a good defensive coach for Amare and the other other bigs.

Obviously rosie glasses might be wrong, but so could a lot of the gloom and doom predictions. IMHO, if rosie glasses is even close to being right, the Suns will be right up there.

Last edited:

nowagimp

Reaction score
When youre banking on rookies and 36+ year old rotation players, you KNOW the glasses are tinted. I believe that Barnes will prove to be a good pickup depthwise. The health of hill, shaq are almost as uncertain of the rookie poerformances of lopez and dragic. If shaq goes down, the suns will be relying on lopez not to foul and to play big minutes, and that is scary.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
:yeahthat:Nice post Irish. Refreshing to read an optimistic spin on the Suns.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
If you're into the unrealistic fantasies of middle-aged guys who don't get out enough, I recommend Penthouse Forum.

:biglaugh: That's terrible E.

"You're never going to believe this but the other night while delivering pizzas on my usual route......"

Good post George - everything I have read so far has been so decidely dejected it's been hard to get amped up for this season. This helped.

But just a little.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're into the unrealistic fantasies of middle-aged guys who don't get out enough, I recommend Penthouse Forum.

If there is a time to dream, the off season is the time. It doesn't cost anything and most every good team is thinking they are a potential NBA Champion. Certainly in time the fans will know what the Suns have.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Well, George, at least you didn't hypothesize that Shaq's FT shooting would improve so you weren't totally into fantasyland.

To me, its one of the worst things about the team because it can and almost certainly will remain hidden the whole regular season but come the playoffs and some team desperately needs to beat us, they'll break out the HackaShaq gambit. SA showed everyone just how effective it can be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man, if this team was only 2 years, or maybe 1 year younger I'd think we'd have a great shot of winning this thing but I think our window just slammed shut, mostly due to age. Even if we stay relatively healthy, I just expect this team to be somewhat running on fumes down the stretch and into the playoffs.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Obviously rose colored glasses should not equal "delusional", so Shaq and free throws.... (no way).

Rosie glasses is not making a prediction. It is just an explanation of why there might be optimism.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Let's dont be neither over-optimistic, nor over-pessimistic.

Finding an accurate prediction is impossible, nobody knows the future for sure. Irish might be a little more optimistic than others, but most of his points r quite reasonable.

Just my opinions.

For the young guys, Dragic and Lopez, and maybe Tucker, at least one of them will become a regular contributor. Expect both of them to fail is clearly over-pessimistic. We had the "win-now" attitude during draft days, we didn't go for high-risk high-reward, star or dust type of picks. They might not reach the 100% we hope them for, I'll be happy they got 80%, for worse, maybe 60%. No way all of them got below 50%. If they do, Kerr and his scouts got to be fired right way.

And, our expectation on them is actually not that high. Don't forget, we have 8 veterans in rotation, we don't really count on Dragic and Lopez much in playoff. Their main job is just to fill in minutes and games in regular season, for the starters to get enough rest.

Barnes, everyone knows he just had a bad 07-08 season, the reason we got him by veteran minimal. In 19mpg, he had 6.7ppg, 4.4rpg (outstanding) and 1.9apg (very good). Giricek had 8.8ppg, 2.3rpg and 1.6apg in about same PT. He is a true SF and defends much better. So even with "the worst Barnes", we have a considerable upgrade.

We need him to do better in 3P shooting for us, 35% will be good enough, Marion did less b4 the trade. Barnes was 36.6% for GSW a year ago and 42.2% for 11 playoff games, so it is a very reasonable expectation.

Hill was overworked last season, averaged more than 30mpg. His health is definitely still a concern for the new season. He might miss a dozen games or more. But with Barnes and Tucker backup, we can live with it. No reason to overestimate the risk of losing Hill again at the end of season.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Well, George, at least you didn't hypothesize that Shaq's FT shooting would improve so you weren't totally into fantasyland.

To me, its one of the worst things about the team because it can and almost certainly will remain hidden the whole regular season but come the playoffs and some team desperately needs to beat us, they'll break out the HackaShaq gambit. SA showed everyone just how effective it can be.

One simple way to fight that tactic is to improve our defense. If we limit them to 42% shooting, then Shaq's 50% FT easily wins the game for us. :D

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Nice to see some optimism from Suns fans this season. The offseason has been brutal on us from the mindset of national pundits. No one giving us respect for the talent we DO have on this team. IMO, we are one of the deepest teams in the league. Shaq may not be the "Big Aristotle" he once was, but he is still an imposing figure that eats up a ton of space. Nash is still one of the games best PGs. Raja is an excellent defender who suffered from a muriad of injuries last season. Whoever you have at SF, whether its Barnes or Hill, you wont miss a beat. Ohhh and BTW, Amare is going to be an MVP candidate! Combined with a new philosophy on using the bench and having a deeper rotation, we will be a more competitive playoff team. I still have us winning 50+ games this season and being a 3rd or 4th seed in the playoffs.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
One thing I don't understand is that the people on this board who were the first to push DA out the door are all of a sudden the most pessimistic about our chances this season.

You DA bashers are effectively getting what you want. I thought once we had the vaunted 10 man rotations, playing time for the rookies, and attention to defense that Porter swears to bring all would be fixed. And all I hear is how we are further down in the west now and too old?

Really? Many of you got your wish when Mike went to NY. Now heres your lab experiment to watch it play out and see if 98% of you were right in that D'Antoni was the problem.

Or maybe we just like to be bitter and none of it really matters and we will find something else to bitch about all year......

Can't wait:rolleyes:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I don't understand is that the people on this board who were the first to push DA out the door are all of a sudden the most pessimistic about our chances this season.

I don't understand where you're having difficulty is in understanding the pessimism. People who wanted DA fired didn't want him fired because they thought a new coach had a chance to turn us into contenders. Most of the "pessimists" thought the window slammed shut with or without him (and most of us thought we slammed our own window last offseason). With that being said, they wanted him fired to have some kind of accountability so that the sliding scale of failure wouldn't continue to be rewarded.

You DA bashers are effectively getting what you want. I thought once we had the vaunted 10 man rotations, playing time for the rookies, and attention to defense that Porter swears to bring all would be fixed. And all I hear is how we are further down in the west now and too old?

you say "too old" as if it's nothing to sneeze at. All the 10 man rotations (which will heavily depend on two completely unproven rookies) in the world can't compensate for age and injuries Finest. Did DA's critics get what they wanted in his firing? Yeah. That got accountability, but we didn't get a Doc-Brown DeLorean with it where we could go back in time and grab MVSteve, a 34 year old-Shaq and a 33 year-old Grant Hill. So really, the DA bashers didn't get what they wanted because what they wanted isn't possible. We just believe that when the window closes, the window closes. That's all.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
On Hack a Shaq
One simple way to fight that tactic is to improve our defense. If we limit them to 42% shooting, then Shaq's 50% FT easily wins the game for us. :D

Pop got into his head and it really slowed the game down (a major goal of the Spurs).

IMHO, Shaq shot better when he used his knees rather than just his upper body in his shot. I don't know if there is a magic solution unless Lopez plays really well and shoots foul shots better.

My suggestion of having Shaq take the ball out of bounds when they appear prepared to deliberately foul and not go inbounds until the ball is over the half court line is problematic. Having a guy hanging around in the back court means a four on four which is not a good defensive scheme.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
... which will heavily depend on two completely unproven rookies ...
There have been veterans who joined teams and failed. The Suns know that, don't they?

We now have a coaching staff who will have all season to work the rookies into the chemistry of the team. And remove the "un" from "proven" by the time we reach the stretch and into the post-season. I love it!

A well-rounded coaching staff and a well-rounded team. That could offset the aging over the lost few years. No, that's not a typo. I mean the lost few years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been veterans who joined teams and failed. The Suns know that, don't they?

We now have a coaching staff who will have all season to work the rookies into the chemistry of the team. And remove the "un" from "proven" by the time we reach the stretch and into the post-season. I love it!

A well-rounded coaching staff and a well-rounded team. That could offset the aging over the lost few years. No, that's not a typo. I mean the lost few years.

we'll see. I don't think anyone on our staff has really distinguished themselves at a championship level (or even consistent playoff level) so asking them to offset the very real aging problem just seems like asking too much. I don't think even the best coaching staff in the league could overcome the hurdles we'll face age/injury wise, but again, I'll be glad to be proven wrong and am still excited for the beginning of the season. I DO expect us to come out of the gate relatively strong. I just see us burning out after the All-Star game.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
My rose colored glasses like
Porter over D'antoni.
Amare at power forward.
Nash with two possible backups
Barnes and Hill at small forward
Two 7 foot centers
Defense being practiced so it's not a foreign concept in the games
I'm for all the changes they made this summer.
I can't wait to see it work out on the court.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My rose colored glasses like
Porter over D'antoni.
Amare at power forward.
Nash with two possible backups
Barnes and Hill at small forward
Two 7 foot centers
Defense being practiced so it's not a foreign concept in the games
I'm for all the changes they made this summer.
I can't wait to see it work out on the court.

I just want to say, "Sweet dreams, Moonpie."

I always loved this line from the 1975 movie, "Rollerball" with James Caan. Your comments made me think of it. I wish they would remake this movie true to the 1975 version. This movie begs for a legitimate remake. In the movie corporations run the world with mankind as a pawn. It sure sounds familiar in these times. It has some great sports action.

Here is some of the script:

Sweet dreams, Moonpie.

It's a bad habit you got there.

You know what that habit
will make you dream, Moonpie?

You'll dream you're an executive.

You'll have your hands
on all the controls

and you'll wear a grey suit
and you'll make decisions.

But you know what, Moonpie?

You know what those executives dream
about, out there behind their desks?

They dream they're great rollerballers.

http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/r/rollerball-script-transcript-james-caan.html