The Luka Report

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've watched all Mavs games last year and this year with the exception of three of them. I completely agree with your assessment(s) as well. Mavs without Luka are somewhere between the Suns last year and Suns this year (minus Booker). Let's say Ayton and Pozingis cancel each other out. The next best players on the two combined rosters are Rubio and Oubre. Baynes is probably the next one. Kleber and Powell are about the same as Saric and Kaminsky. Hardaway and Lee were New Yorks throw-away players, essentially crap that Mavs had to take to acquire Pozingis. Brunson, Wright, and Finney-Smith are good backups, but nothing more on a good NBA team. Frankly, Rubio, Oubre, and Baynes are significantly better, and the next three Suns rotation players may be better. That would be what...Bridges, Cam and Tyler Johnson?

If you take Booker and Luka out of the picture, it's not even close. Next four out of five best players are on the Suns roster, and it gets pretty even the rest of the way. Think about it this way- would you trade Rubio, Oubre, or Baynes for anyone on the Mavs roster not named Doncic or Porzingis? Hell, I am not sure I'd trade any of them for Porzingis until I see what he can do in a season where he is fully healthy. I'd probably swap our two PF stiffs for Kleber and Powell, but that's about it.

Luka is a hell of a player, and what he is doing with the Mavs is incredible for anyone, let alone a kid who is not old enough to drink yet.

couldn't agree more. people are contorting themselves into pretzels trying not to give Luka credit for being such a massive impact player so far.

the idea that that Mavs team with an average PG would be a 35-40 win team really strains credulity. That means you have to believe this team would win 35-40 games:

Rubio
Hardaway Jr.
Dorian Finney-Smith
Kristaps Porzingas
Dwight Powell

No, F'N way.

And, even if that Mavs team above could win 35-40 games (which again seems incredibly far-fetched considering that doesn't look all that much better than the Knicks when Porzingus was actually VERY GOOD and the team was still atrocious), the current Mavs squad, is on pace to 55 games, which means substituting Luka for an average PG would net the team around 15-20 more wins on the season.

yes, he's bad on D, but he is absolutely phenomenal this season on offense. And I sure as hell don't remember the same people who have found ways to denigrate Doncic because of his D do the same when we had Nash.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
couldn't agree more. people are contorting themselves into pretzels trying not to give Luka credit for being such a massive impact player so far.

the idea that that Mavs team with an average PG would be a 35-40 win team really strains credulity. That means you have to believe this team would win 35-40 games:

Rubio
Hardaway Jr.
Dorian Finney-Smith
Kristaps Porzingas
Dwight Powell

No, F'N way.

And, even if that Mavs team above could win 35-40 games (which again seems incredibly far-fetched considering that doesn't look all that much better than the Knicks when Porzingus was actually VERY GOOD and the team was still atrocious), the current Mavs squad, is on pace to 55 games, which means substituting Luka for an average PG would net the team around 15-20 more wins on the season.

yes, he's bad on D, but he is absolutely phenomenal this season on offense. And I sure as hell don't remember the same people who have found ways to denigrate Doncic because of his D do the same when we had Nash.

You’re right... Being at the game last night, I was (reluctantly) thoroughly impressed with Doncic’s offensive game. What really blew me away is his ability to get into the lane and to the rim anytime he wants to. Literally, whenever he wanted to drive, he was unstoppable and would either get the basket or get the foul...
But man, on defense he is horrendous. He barely even tries...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re right... Being at the game last night, I was (reluctantly) thoroughly impressed with Doncic’s offensive game. What really blew me away is his ability to get into the lane and to the rim anytime he wants to. Literally, whenever he wanted to drive, he was unstoppable and would either get the basket or get the foul...

Yeah, he's even worse on D than Booker used to be and that's saying something. OTOH, no matter how much some people wish it were otherwise, this game is far more about scoring than defending and Luka might be the best all around offensive force in the game right now.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yeah, he's even worse on D than Booker used to be and that's saying something. OTOH, no matter how much some people wish it were otherwise, this game is far more about scoring than defending and Luka might be the best all around offensive force in the game right now.

Yea... you’re right. As for his offensive game, seeing live he reminded me a ton of Harden. Which, for a 2nd year dude, is amazing IMHO...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

his court vision is ridiculous also. dude's got eyes in the back and side of his head.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

at 20. That's really ridiculous.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you see what Harden did today? I can see Doncic doing that as well... THIS YEAR! [emoji15]

I wish he would have played the 4th to see how many points he could have registered but he had a +50 and 60 points after 3. It really would have been showing up the Hawks if he continued to play. It's not like the Rockets needed him either, the score was 127-73 after 3 quarters. Even D'Antoni will allow his starters some rest if they can run things up like that.

Here's the boxscore of the Rockets starters, for reference. I'm still not a fan of Harden going to the line so much but at the same time, I can't blame him that much for taking advantage of the calls he gets.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hawks have fallen on hard times after the suspension of John Collins.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wish he would have played the 4th to see how many points he could have registered but he had a +50 and 60 points after 3. It really would have been showing up the Hawks if he continued to play. It's not like the Rockets needed him either, the score was 127-73 after 3 quarters. Even D'Antoni will allow his starters some rest if they can run things up like that.

Here's the boxscore of the Rockets starters, for reference. I'm still not a fan of Harden going to the line so much but at the same time, I can't blame him that much for taking advantage of the calls he gets.

You must be registered for see images attach
The Rockets need Harden to do that every single game to be put in a position to win. They are so fragile—if Harden gets hurt the Rockets are in big trouble. But Hardens best quality IMO is his ability to NOT get hurt.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I mostly agree but I think during the playoffs it's exposed more.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mostly agree but I think during the playoffs it's exposed more.

Sure, even with the changing rules the playoffs still get slower and physical play becomes more the norm. But it's nowhere near like it used to be, in large part because so many of the longtime refs have retired or been forced out. And faced with the loss of a lot of revenue (the China thing), I would imagine the refs have all been made aware of the money coming in from Europe because of Luka so I think he will be almost as effective in the playoffs.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, even with the changing rules the playoffs still get slower and physical play becomes more the norm. But it's nowhere near like it used to be, in large part because so many of the longtime refs have retired or been forced out. And faced with the loss of a lot of revenue (the China thing), I would imagine the refs have all been made aware of the money coming in from Europe because of Luka so I think he will be almost as effective in the playoffs.

Offensively I agree.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A dagger of sorts from Kokoskov.

Matej Sportinfo‏ @Sportinfosi

Kokoskov on why the Suns didn't pick Doncic: "I can't answer that question because of professional code. But since you asked, all I'll say is, I'm sleeping peacefully." Igor obviously wanted Luka but the Suns front office had their mind made up and made that clear to Kokoskov.

11:39 AM - 5 Dec 2019

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Kokoskov on why the Suns didn't pick Doncic: "I can't answer that question because of professional code. But since you asked, all I'll say is, I'm sleeping peacefully." Igor obviously wanted Luka but the Suns front office had their mind made up and made that clear to Kokoskov.

Of course, we knew that Koko preferred Doncic for obvious reasons.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The only thing we should remember about Igor is 19 wins. I could care less if he wanted Doncic or not. It’s not like that is breaking news anyway. Hope he’s enjoying life back as an assistant coach.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing we should remember about Igor is 19 wins. I could care less if he wanted Doncic or not. It’s not like that is breaking news anyway. Hope he’s enjoying life back as an assistant coach.

Igor was an awful coach. Monty has exposed the hell out of that. Igor shouldn't be sleeping well over that.

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
It seems the suns should have had more information on Doncic than almost any other team seeing as Igor coached him. I guess they just didn’t listen or they became so infatuated with Ayton that it didn’t matter. Probably the latter.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It seems the suns should have had more information on Doncic than almost any other team seeing as Igor coached him. I guess they just didn’t listen or they became so infatuated with Ayton that it didn’t matter. Probably the latter.
Or that they needed a consensus #1 pick Center more than they needed a distributing Forward to crowd Booker as our scoring leader.

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
Or that they needed a consensus #1 pick Center more than they needed a distributing Forward to crowd Booker as our scoring leader.
If you could trade Ayton for Doncic straight up, today, would you?

Edit: It may be true that they valued the center position more than another wing.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

More Sarver smoke IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This is such a myopic and crazy thing to say.

Like world class lazy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson