The Luka Report

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They would have to pick him up somewhere, their offense runs through him. I bet he has a higher 3pt percentage by the end of the year.
He’s dangerous with the drive. How do you defend a good driver? Lay off him. What? He’s a subpar (I mean not even average) 3 point shooter, lay back lay back lay back and use your superior size to deny his forays to the hoop.

I’m not saying they shut him down. But the likely slow him down enough that their destruction of him in the post shifts the advantage towards them.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Nobody ever put up stats like Wilt Chamberlain. But it didn't translate to many championships.

Ayton, like Bill Russell, is here to play a role on the team. A team that has been in the doldrums
for a decade.

Ayton doesn't have to "out-stat" Luca to be the right selection for the Suns. Just as Bill
Russell didn't out-stat Wilt The Stilt.

Hope that Ayton never thinks he has to out-stat Luca. We'll see!

I'm just as hopeful for Ayton to become a top 5 player in the NBA and I agree that every team should prefer a Bill Russell type to a Wilt Chamberlain type. That said, has Ayton shown any similar traits to Bill Russell?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm just as hopeful for Ayton to become a top 5 player in the NBA and I agree that every team should prefer a Bill Russell type to a Wilt Chamberlain type. That said, has Ayton shown any similar traits to Bill Russell?

This was way before my time, but my understanding is that Russell was an outstanding defender.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

We have no idea what Ayton can do on a good NBA team.
Or even if he can muster the maturity that he has shown
in interviews. Intellect and emotional strength are two
different things.

Neither does he at this point. The first step will be how the
coaches specifically develop him for the Suns best advantage.

My own wish is that Ayton and our starting Power Forward
can be used best for the specific needs of both positions.

Scoring inside. Scoring outside. Passing. Setting picks.
Drawing fouls. Rebounding. Defense on the perimeter.
Defense in the post. Blocking shots. That is the
checklist I'd like to see them use item by item.

The only comparison to Russell is that it makes no sense
to compare whatever stats Ayton puts up to Doncic's,
when debating who should have been the #1 pick.

Apples and oranges. Different teams. Different needs.
And in the case of Ayton vs. Doncic, different positions.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
This was way before my time, but my understanding is that Russell was an outstanding defender.
Indeed he was! And rebounder.

I saw it first hand and couldn't believe how Russ at 6'9"-215 could
stand up to Wilt at 7'1"-275 (yup, a 60 pound differential).

All he could do was keep Wilt to his stats and no better and let the
rest of his balanced team make up the difference.

Comparing championships, he (they) sure did. Along with the best
coach in NBA history, Red Auerbach.

Bill Russell was the cornerstone of the Boston Celtics' dynasty of the 1960s, an uncanny shotblocker who revolutionized NBA defensive concepts. A five-time NBA Most Valuable Player and a 12-time All-Star, the angular center amassed 21,620 career rebounds, an average of 22.5 per game and led the league in rebounding four times. He had 51 boards in one game, 49 in two others and a dozen consecutive seasons of 1,000 or more rebounds.

https://www.nba.com/history/legends/profiles/bill-russell

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm in the club where Ayton was the better pick for the Suns, and Doncic was near his ceiling. But I think i'm wrong now hah! The Ayton suspension, which he's really dumb for, and Luka's numbers lately. This guy wills the team to stay competitive and atleast give the Mavs a chance at winning the game. He has stepped up and out dueled some of the best teams already, his stats are up this year, ppg, assist, etc...all while playing roughly the same amount of minutes.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Steve Kerr, Mike D'antoni.

Giannis is taking 4-5 three pointers a game, I'm guessing he will get that average up by the end of the year.

D'Antoni was obsessed with the pick and roll with Nash/Amare. So, I don't think so. There simply isn't many. Also, with his piss poor percentage who cares if he takes that many?? He isn't improving dramatically and a dunk or layup is MUCH higher %.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Yes, Luka is good. Very good.

But this is the era of the empty triple double. Westbrook averaged a triple double every year for 3 years and everyone knew he was fools gold. Currently, Jokic and Harden continue to put up gaudy numbers and yet we have SERIOUS questions about them.

The one thing they have in common, the ENTIRE O is ran through them. They touch the ball each and every time. They are afforded a vast amount of opportunities to accumulate stats and they take full advantage of it. It's not to say they aren't good. Of course they are. But the gaudy stats should be taken into context. (As should their lack of effort on D).

I wouldn't put Luka in my top 5. My top 5 would go:

1. LeBron James
2. Kawhi Leonard
3. Anthony Davis
4. Giannis A.
5. James Harden (only cracks top 5 because Durant is hurt)

I'd put Luka back in the latter top 10-ish area. His lack of D places him farther back than his PER would indicate. But the dude is still a bonafide star.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But this is the era of the empty triple double. Westbrook averaged a triple double every year for 3 years and everyone knew he was fools gold. Currently, Jokic and Harden continue to put up gaudy numbers and yet we have SERIOUS questions about them.

The one thing they have in common, the ENTIRE O is ran through them. They touch the ball each and every time. They are afforded a vast amount of opportunities to accumulate stats and they take full advantage of it. It's not to say they aren't good. Of course they are. But the gaudy stats should be taken into context. (As should their lack of effort on D).

1. LeBron James
2. Kawhi Leonard
3. Anthony Davis
4. Giannis A.

I'd put Luka back in the latter top 10-ish area. His lack of D places him farther back than his PER would indicate. But the dude is still a bonafide star.

It's unfair to compare Luka to any of the above players as he is so early in his career.

However, if I were going to compare these players at age 20, Luka and Lebron are right there together with the other players behind.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

1. LeBron James
2. Kawhi Leonard
3. Anthony Davis
4. Giannis A.

When Luka is dragging porzongas’ corpse and the rest of the mediocrity on that roster to wins nothing he does is “empty.”

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
When Luka is dragging porzongas’ corpse and the rest of the mediocrity on that roster to wins nothing he does is “empty.”
I disagree with the idea that he "drags" them to wins. Yes he is by far the best player on that team, but interestingly enough the team is actually only marginally better this season with him on the floor than off the floor. While the offense is certainly better with him on the floor, the defense is so much worse that his on/off rating is barely above 0. Yes he doesn't have any other star players, but he is surrounded by a bunch of solid to good role players and the backup point guard does a really good job of keeping the offense flowing when Doncic is on the bench.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree with the idea that he "drags" them to wins. Yes he is by far the best player on that team, but interestingly enough the team is actually only marginally better this season with him on the floor than off the floor. While the offense is certainly better with him on the floor, the defense is so much worse that his on/off rating is barely above 0. Yes he doesn't have any other star players, but he is surrounded by a bunch of solid to good role players and the backup point guard does a really good job of keeping the offense flowing when Doncic is on the bench.

Subtract Luka from the Mavericks and they would be a really bad team.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Subtract Luka from the Mavericks and they would be a really bad team.
Subtract Luka and replace him with a mediocre starting PG and they are likely somewhere around 35-40 wins would be my guess.

They are a very well coached team and they have a deep rotation with some very solid role players.

Of course he has dragged the team to some wins in the last few minutes of games and because of that they would not be as good without him, but you make it sound like they are last year's Suns without Booker or something.

I assure you that they aren't that bad of a team without Luka, but they are certainly a better team with him as he can take over late in games and bring them some wins that they otherwise probably lose.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Subtract Luka and replace him with a mediocre starting PG and they are likely somewhere around 35-40 wins would be my guess.

They are a very well coached team and they have a deep rotation with some very solid role players.

Of course he has dragged the team to some wins in the last few minutes of games and because of that they would not be as good without him, but you make it sound like they are last year's Suns without Booker or something.

I assure you that they aren't that bad of a team without Luka, but they are certainly a better team with him as he can take over late in games and bring them some wins that they otherwise probably lose.

I guess I don't see it unless Porzingis returns to stardom.

The Mavericks only won 24 games before they drafted Luka and the 2017-18 team had a decent roster.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2018.html

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
It's unfair to compare Luka to any of the above players as he is so early in his career.

However, if I were going to compare these players at age 20, Luka and Lebron are right there together with the other players behind.
Also unfair to compare Luka who played pro for 6(?) years with Lebron and others who were in HS.

Still though, you're point is valid. Luka is doing things at age 20 that is unheard of Offensively. No other 20 year old is going to compare favorably to him.

And Ouchie, Porzingis's dead corpse is averaging 17ppg, 9rpg, and 2bpg coming off a massive injury. His dead corpse is better than most PF/Cs in the game. Give him time and you might see a resurrection. Still though, I'll agree the rest of that team is pretty mediocre.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Also unfair to compare Luka who played pro for 6(?) years with Lebron and others who were in HS.

Still though, you're point is valid. Luka is doing things at age 20 that is unheard of Offensively. No other 20 year old is going to compare favorably to him.

And Ouchie, Porzingis's dead corpse is averaging 17ppg, 9rpg, and 2bpg coming off a massive injury. His dead corpse is better than most PF/Cs in the game. Give him time and you might see a resurrection. Still though, I'll agree the rest of that team is pretty mediocre.
He’s shooting 40% from the field. Granted I’ve only seen him in 4 games this year but they must’ve been his worst games too bc he looks awful. 0-8 for 2pts against us . . . and we aren’t exactly a defensive juggernaut by against bigs.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If Doncic continues to put up these numbers and the Mavericks are a top-four seed, he's the MVP. But it's still early. Lots of torrid 20-game stretches have proved to be unsustainable over the years.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I guess I don't see it unless Porzingis returns to stardom.

The Mavericks only won 24 games before they drafted Luka and the 2017-18 team had a decent roster.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2018.html

Agree. That mavs team tops out at 25 wins without Luka.

Agree as well. No way that Mavs team wins 25+ without Luka.

I've watched all Mavs games last year and this year with the exception of three of them. I completely agree with your assessment(s) as well. Mavs without Luka are somewhere between the Suns last year and Suns this year (minus Booker). Let's say Ayton and Pozingis cancel each other out. The next best players on the two combined rosters are Rubio and Oubre. Baynes is probably the next one. Kleber and Powell are about the same as Saric and Kaminsky. Hardaway and Lee were New Yorks throw-away players, essentially crap that Mavs had to take to acquire Pozingis. Brunson, Wright, and Finney-Smith are good backups, but nothing more on a good NBA team. Frankly, Rubio, Oubre, and Baynes are significantly better, and the next three Suns rotation players may be better. That would be what...Bridges, Cam and Tyler Johnson?

If you take Booker and Luka out of the picture, it's not even close. Next four out of five best players are on the Suns roster, and it gets pretty even the rest of the way. Think about it this way- would you trade Rubio, Oubre, or Baynes for anyone on the Mavs roster not named Doncic or Porzingis? Hell, I am not sure I'd trade any of them for Porzingis until I see what he can do in a season where he is fully healthy. I'd probably swap our two PF stiffs for Kleber and Powell, but that's about it.

Luka is a hell of a player, and what he is doing with the Mavs is incredible for anyone, let alone a kid who is not old enough to drink yet.