The Luka Report

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Hoop Head, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Hoop Head

Hoop Head ASFN Contributor Contributor

To move this discussion from the Ayton suspension, I'm taking @CRC83 's suggested name and starting a thread for people to talk Luka. Please keep all Doncic discussion here unless it really belongs in another thread. So if you want to second guess taking Ayton because Luka had a great game, post in "The Luka Report"! Easy enough, I think. We'll see.

boisesuns and Mainstreet like this.
  2. Hoop Head

Hoop Head ASFN Contributor Contributor

I'm stealing this post to get the discussion going also....

I think the Suns have the edge now with Booker and Ayton. Would anyone prefer Doncic and Porzingis? I think that's a good enough question to start this. It's more than just who should have been drafted but what team would you rather have.

3. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

So what do you think about Deandre Ayton? I think he’s underrated because he actually had a historically good rookie year.

4. CRC83

CRC83 Registered

I agree that he is being underrated nationally. Part of that has to do with how well Doncic and Young have played. Those two are also the number one option on their teams and play a flashy style, which gets more coverage from the national media.

Can’t wait until Ayton gets back. Hopefully he comes back extra motivated.

5. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical Contributor

#1 options and play the point position so virtually every possession goes through them. Ayton will never be a guy that orchestrates the offense and to be considered near their level nationally he will have to continue to improve in all aspects and that especially means becoming a good defender.

6. Proximo

Proximo Registered

Ok, I know I said in the other thread I thought he peaked.

I was wrong. I watched the game last night and some of the passes he was making were insane. Like some of the best passes I have ever seen. I guess I just haven't watched enough of him recently.

He is still not that great of shooter - that is where he can and probably will improve. Otherwise he is about maxed out for his athleticism because he can get open to do whatever he wants at will already.

Matt L and SirStefan32 like this.
  7. Proximo

Proximo Registered

Ayton has the physical tools to be about the best center in the league.

It really all comes down to his will to improve, and his will to be aggressive enough on the court. Unfortunately he has not really shown much of a killer instinct as of yet. Can Monty get him there? To me that is the real question.

8. Carolinacacti

Carolinacacti Registered

I think we hashed this thing out last year. Time to killed this comparison on picks. He is a Euro player he stinks

9. fatosber

fatosber Registered

I think it's delusional at this point to compare Ayton and Doncic. Move on. The dude has a marginally better career at this point than LeBron had. Doncic is also significantly better overall player than Booker. I don't like it but thats the way it is. He will most likely be an All Star this season and in the MVP convo in 2-3 years.

Matt L likes this.
  10. CRC83

CRC83 Registered

Take Booker and Doncic off of their teams...do you think Phoenix or Dallas has more talent? Both have good coaches, although the edge goes to Dallas at this point. Carlisle is a top 5 coach. Otherwise, I’d say the supporting cast is pretty similar. Maybe slightly more talent on the suns but I am biased.

Will be interesting to see who ends up with the better record. Could be a key factor in a Doncic vs Booker debate.

11. Proximo

Proximo Registered

phoenix.

outside of luka and porzingas Dallas roster is pretty weak.

12. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical Contributor

That's also a bit of an apples and oranges comparison as well (not as much as the Ayton vs Doncic, but still).

Doncic is THE primary ball handler and play-maker for Dallas. He is playing the PG position and is a better passer and rebounder than Booker, but Booker is a better shooter, better athlete, better pure scorer and at least a slightly better defender. Doncic is the better of the two at creating scoring opportunities off the dribble, but Booker is definitely the more dangerous of the two off the ball.

BC867 and AzStevenCal like this.
  13. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I think their roster is very similar to ours although I'd probably give us the edge when Ayton's available. Unless Porzingis gets it all together, and then the Dallas roster gets the nod IMO.

14. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

15. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

Rosters are very similar. One thing that Phoenix has that Dallas does not is Kelly Oubre. There is nobody on the Mavs' roster that has the ability to be that third guy with a little bit of attitude. Luka is their undisputed leader/ best player, then there if Kristaps, and then there is really nobody who stands out.