The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I wonder if the NBA could do a compensatory pick thing like the NFL does for teams that lose major free agents.

If they want to even things out, they could take first round picks away from teams over the luxury tax, and award extra picks to teams who lose high value free agents.

I think that's a good idea, too. MLB does the same thing - of course, draft picks don't mean as much there.

Maybe award extra picks at the end of the lottery, so teams that lose top level free agents get some reasonable level of compensation - instead of just say, extra picks at end of first round... or the Warriors' pick when they sign someone like Leonard at half his market value just so he can get a ring, etc.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that's a good idea, too. MLB does the same thing - of course, draft picks don't mean as much there.

Maybe award extra picks at the end of the lottery, so teams that lose top level free agents get some reasonable level of compensation - instead of just say, extra picks at end of first round... or the Warriors' pick when they sign someone like Leonard at half his market value just so he can get a ring, etc.
Just before free agency, the NBA could come out with a list grading every free agent, so everyone would know exactly what kind of pick the team would get if they lose him. Compensatory picks could be awarded from immediately following the lottery to the end of the draft.

Something like this needs to happen. It's so devastating to an NBA team to lose its top level free agent. Oh, I would add one other thing. If you acquired the player through free agency, there will be no compensatory pick. So Cleveland would have gotten a pick for losing LeBron the first time, but not the second time.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After a player is bought out I think they should have to submit to claims by the worst teams first, sort of like the waiver process. Although I'm doubtful this happens, it would help cure these shenanigans.

Teams need to be able to absorb the contract into capspace in order to put in a claim and usually the overpriced vets make too much.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams need to be able to absorb the contract into capspace in order to put in a claim and usually the overpriced vets make too much.

I was thinking like once a bought out player clears waivers there could be a pecking order type thing, worst teams first. Of course this defies the principle of free agency.

A team would never want to pay Carmelo Anthony the face value of his contract prior to being bought out.

It gets tiring watching bought out players piggyback on the best teams.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just before free agency, the NBA could come out with a list grading every free agent, so everyone would know exactly what kind of pick the team would get if they lose him. Compensatory picks could be awarded from immediately following the lottery to the end of the draft.

Something like this needs to happen. It's so devastating to an NBA team to lose its top level free agent. Oh, I would add one other thing. If you acquired the player through free agency, there will be no compensatory pick. So Cleveland would have gotten a pick for losing LeBron the first time, but not the second time.

I think an easy way to solve that without doing compensatory picks would be to come up with a way that sign and trades are beneficial to the team and the player involved but not so much a player pushes for that rather than resigning. Maybe have the league set a bottom line, the team receiving has to part with 1 pick and the player gets a slightly bigger increase in their annual salaries or a signing bonus that wouldn't be available otherwise. It would be a difficult thing to incentivize but I think they could find a way to do it so players don't push for sign and trades instead of staying where they are but enough that they go that route rather than signing outright elsewhere.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thinking like once a bought out player clears waivers there could be a pecking order type thing, worst teams first. Of course this defies the principle of free agency.

A team would never want to pay Carmelo Anthony the face value of his contract prior to being bought out.

It gets tiring watching bought out players piggyback on the best teams.
I think this would be a good move. They had something like this when they allowed amnesties, it's how we got Scola. We were willing to take on more of his contact.

That said... I don't know how many teams would pay more than the 2.5 million for an old, crappy Carmelo who would only be happy in a couple destinations. Might not have made a difference in his case.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this would be a good move. They had something like this when they allowed amnesties, it's how we got Scola. We were willing to take on more of his contact.

That said... I don't know how many teams would pay more than the 2.5 million for an old, crappy Carmelo who would only be happy in a couple destinations. Might not have made a difference in his case.

Totally forgot about that with the amnesty deals. That is very close to what should happen now when players are bought out. I know Melo isn't exactly a prize for anyone but typically there are a couple more players available that make more sense. I can't imagine the player's union being too upset with that either, especially if it were limited to 1 year deals. IIRC the amnesty pickups would be for the duration of their contracts and that might be more of any issue with players now but 1 year isn't enough for them to be too upset over.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the league could add a round between the 1st and 2nd round of compensatory picks only. I know that wouldn't be ideal but that would be better than nothing. Perhaps they could do something different also allowing teams to draft from the G-League with the only restrictions being players signed to actual contracts by teams. Maybe Two-Way players would be available, maybe not, but that might give them a way to add something to alleviate a loss of a star player. I know G-League talent won't do anything much but it is better than nothing.

Maybe allow the team losing the player to select anyone they choose from the new teams G-League system, whether they're on Two-Way deals or not. If they are on those contracts it wouldn't count against their own 2 open Two-Way spots that first year. The league wants the G-League to be a farm system, start treating it like one by moving prospects for established talent. Allowing the team that's losing someone to take their pick would also cause teams with high value prospects to sign those guys to real contracts and it wouldn't hurt the flexibility of the team losing a player by needing to use one of their spots they already planned on for the acquired player.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the league could add a round between the 1st and 2nd round of compensatory picks only. I know that wouldn't be ideal but that would be better than nothing. Perhaps they could do something different also allowing teams to draft from the G-League with the only restrictions being players signed to actual contracts by teams. Maybe Two-Way players would be available, maybe not, but that might give them a way to add something to alleviate a loss of a star player. I know G-League talent won't do anything much but it is better than nothing.

Maybe allow the team losing the player to select anyone they choose from the new teams G-League system, whether they're on Two-Way deals or not. If they are on those contracts it wouldn't count against their own 2 open Two-Way spots that first year. The league wants the G-League to be a farm system, start treating it like one by moving prospects for established talent. Allowing the team that's losing someone to take their pick would also cause teams with high value prospects to sign those guys to real contracts and it wouldn't hurt the flexibility of the team losing a player by needing to use one of their spots they already planned on for the acquired player.

I'm pretty sure that, as is, if a player is on a pure g-league contract anyone on the league can sign them. I don't know if the team who signed them to their g-league has the opportunity to block it by adding them to their 15 man roster, that may be the case, but if you're a g-league player (NOT on a 2 way deal, those guys are exclusive and get payed a lot more but not NBA money) and any NBA team comes calling, you're free to go at any time.

Totally forgot about that with the amnesty deals. That is very close to what should happen now when players are bought out. I know Melo isn't exactly a prize for anyone but typically there are a couple more players available that make more sense. I can't imagine the player's union being too upset with that either, especially if it were limited to 1 year deals. IIRC the amnesty pickups would be for the duration of their contracts and that might be more of any issue with players now but 1 year isn't enough for them to be too upset over.

In the case of amnesty, I expect the players went along with it because it allowed teams to clear huge among of cap space to sign more players while costing existing players nothing. Sure, a few guys got humiliated by having some team say "I'd rather give you money for nothing that have you on my cap" but for each guy that got embarrassed (and still payed) other dudes got money.

As a permanent feature in it's original "amnesty" form I think it would be disastrous for small market teams. You'd see teams like the Knicks and Lakers continuously wipe big contracts off of their cap space and spend more with no luxury tax penalties, not only pricing small market clubs out of free agency but driving up wages around the league.

Instead, if a player gets waived and the rest of the league can then bid on said player's remaining contract value, like what we did with Scola, only with whatever leftover portion is still put against the original team's cap... I think that would be fair for everyone.

For example, in awful Carmelo's case: The Hawks waive Melo's obscene 30 million dollar deal, the rest of the league puts in blind bids on what they'd offer him (teams over the cap can only offer the minimum), if some idiot team that is way under the cap offers 10 mil, they get to pay Carmelo 10 million... but he still counts 20 million against the Hawks.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the case of amnesty, I expect the players went along with it because it allowed teams to clear huge among of cap space to sign more players while costing existing players nothing. Sure, a few guys got humiliated by having some team say "I'd rather give you money for nothing that have you on my cap" but for each guy that got embarrassed (and still payed) other dudes got money.

As a permanent feature in it's original "amnesty" form I think it would be disastrous for small market teams. You'd see teams like the Knicks and Lakers continuously wipe big contracts off of their cap space and spend more with no luxury tax penalties, not only pricing small market clubs out of free agency but driving up wages around the league.

Instead, if a player gets waived and the rest of the league can then bid on said player's remaining contract value, like what we did with Scola, only with whatever leftover portion is still put against the original team's cap... I think that would be fair for everyone.

For example, in awful Carmelo's case: The Hawks waive Melo's obscene 30 million dollar deal, the rest of the league puts in blind bids on what they'd offer him (teams over the cap can only offer the minimum), if some idiot team that is way under the cap offers 10 mil, they get to pay Carmelo 10 million... but he still counts 20 million against the Hawks.

Definitely not interested in the amnesty provision being brought back. That needs to be a rarity and only added when the majority of teams would benefit from it but not on a scheduled time frame. I think the only reason it worked before is because it was unexpected. Teams didn't plan for it, it just came to be and many teams benefitted from it. No one was signing deals thinking they could always amnesty them. That would be the problem with bringing it back at any set time. Like you said, it would create a problem where large market teams could exploit things more.

I was mainly in favor of the bid system being taken up for players that are bought out. I think teams should be able to offer up to their full midlevel exception if they're over the cap. All teams have that available now and there are a few different tiers so teams over the cap substantially don't have nearly as much available to them as teams just barely over it, provided the other teams are at the luxury tax line. I would be for teams that are at the tax line of not being able to bid but there's no way owners would want to give up the chance at more tax money being spread around.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a good thought. I had mostly forgotten about the "amnesty clause." This is a lot like what I would like to see happen.

I agree, most teams would not be spending more money on Anthony but more teams would have had the opportunity if they so desired.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yep, that is the point. The quality of the player is sort of self-limiting. Carmelo going to Houston is not really threatening to anyone is it? It would still work for the better players.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that, as is, if a player is on a pure g-league contract anyone on the league can sign them. I don't know if the team who signed them to their g-league has the opportunity to block it by adding them to their 15 man roster, that may be the case, but if you're a g-league player (NOT on a 2 way deal, those guys are exclusive and get payed a lot more but not NBA money) and any NBA team comes calling, you're free to go at any time.

Amnesty helps the players and big market teams (and gets teams that made stupid decisions out of cap hell). Wasn't amnesty replace by the stretch provision?

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amnesty helps the players and big market teams (and gets teams that made stupid decisions out of cap hell). Wasn't amnesty replace by the stretch provision?
Amnesty was a one time thing after the lockout. Helping teams avoid the new harsh luxury tax while giving players a little extra cheese.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, really? Has he fallen that far?

He was trying to get a spot on NBA team almost all season last year but it didn't happen until the Bucks gave him a couple of 10 day contracts. They signed him for the remainder of the season to a deal like Harrison signed with us. It was guaranteed for the remainder of last year and was non-guaranteed this season. I was surprised to hear he signed the 10 day deals in March of this year. He really fell off though. Once his rookie deal was over he was basically done. He's only been able to get short term deals with teams like the Knicks, Wizards, and Bucks.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jennibr01.html

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't he get a big deal from the Bulls or so?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently Jennings tore his achilles a couple of years ago. I was reading about that on a Bucks fan blog and that's apparently what caused his production to take such a big hit. He was really reliant on his speed and athleticism to help him score but he hasn't returned to the same level since he's been healthy. That doesn't bode well for Cousins. I knew there were more players that suffered that injury in the NBA but Kobe was the only one people tended to bring up. Cousins doesn't have Kobe's drive either. I hope he doesn't end up out of the league like Jennings but who knows.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently Jennings tore his achilles a couple of years ago. I was reading about that on a Bucks fan blog and that's apparently what caused his production to take such a big hit. He was really reliant on his speed and athleticism to help him score but he hasn't returned to the same level since he's been healthy. That doesn't bode well for Cousins. I knew there were more players that suffered that injury in the NBA but Kobe was the only one people tended to bring up. Cousins doesn't have Kobe's drive either. I hope he doesn't end up out of the league like Jennings but who knows.

I think you are on target PH. The article at the link below discusses the recovery of various players after the injury. It seems most players never fully return to form.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/1...njury-golden-state-warriors-this-is-the-worst

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Drive or not, Kobe was one of the worst players in the NBA when he came back.

I hope that he stays in the league... hopefully because the Lakers blow like 150 million on him next summer and he is a shell of himself.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard