2023 in Season Tournament, The "NBA Cup"

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The first year of the league's new tournament, a European soccer style cup, that will take place entirely before New Years. Games will be played on Tuesdays and Fridays. The top 2 teams in each group go to an elimination round, the semifinals and final will be played in Vegas.

They did their "draw" for group play, the Suns are in Group 4 with the Lakers, Grizzlies, Jazz and Blazers. Factoring in that Lillard will almost certainly be gone and that this whole thing takes place while Ja is suspended, us and the Lakers should be heavy favorites to advance beyond the group stage.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the idea, I am not sure about the execution. Doing the entire thing over such a short amount of time will not do much to grant it significance.

I also suspect that most teams that view themselves as title contenders (the real title) will treat this tournament like any regular season game.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I like the idea, I am not sure about the execution. Doing the entire thing over such a short amount of time will not do much to grant it significance.

I also suspect that most teams that view themselves as title contenders (the real title) will treat this tournament like any regular season game.

It's really hard to imagine any established player caring about it. Young guys might, because the prize money is significant by their standards. But most players won't pay any attention to it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'd like to see the finals as the Christmas day game. Gives it some significance, puts more eyes on it, and rewards those who play on Christmas day.

Since it doesn't add to the schedule, I have no problem with it. Could be fun and does give some importance to early season games.

I'd really like to see a reward be offered like the winner of the cup gets the #15 pick, first pick out of the lottery, as an additional pick. Runner up gets the last pick in the 1st round. That would add 2 picks to the first round, #15 and #32, and might be incentive to the team.

I'd also like to see the cup winner get guaranteed home court throughout the postseason, regardless of seed. I'd imagine it will be a playoff team but that would add more value.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like to see the finals as the Christmas day game. Gives it some significance, puts more eyes on it, and rewards those who play on Christmas day.

Since it doesn't add to the schedule, I have no problem with it. Could be fun and does give some importance to early season games.

I'd really like to see a reward be offered like the winner of the cup gets the #15 pick, first pick out of the lottery, as an additional pick. Runner up gets the last pick in the 1st round. That would add 2 picks to the first round, #15 and #32, and might be incentive to the team.

I'd also like to see the cup winner get guaranteed home court throughout the postseason, regardless of seed. I'd imagine it will be a playoff team but that would add more value.

I question how they're going to determine what team loses out on a true "home game" if they make it to the semi-final and final.

As a season ticket holder, I will be ticket off if they take a premium game away because the Suns are losing a home date to play in Vegas.

I don't think the home court thing would work, then you'd have some team playing for the last 4 months of the year with absolutely nothing on the line, but I do think draft compensation would be a good idea. Not sure about as high as 15, but something like late 1st for the winner and a 2nd round pick for the runner up.

If they extended the tournament deeper into the season... then it might make sense, an Early April finish that could determine home court in each conference in the semi-final and home court overall in the final.

If a team out of the playoff picture had a shot to win, that would make for high drama.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The wining team gets a certain amount of lottery balls which effectively puts a high caliber team with a slight chance at a lottery pick whether they already own a lottery pick or not.

Let the individual team owners establish the payout to the players if they win the tournament.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd vote no to these suggestions. Honestly, I'd hack the voting site and vote no several million times just to be safe. Well, if I would if I had any hacking skills.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Love the 15th pick idea. That sounds like a winner IMO. Of maybe you are awarded with a 5 to 7 pick bump if you are in the 20's not to exceed pick 15.

And I would love if the top 2 or 4 Euro League teams could be involved somehow. I get that they can't but that would make it more European.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the 15th pick idea. That sounds like a winner IMO. Of maybe you are awarded with a 5 to 7 pick bump if you are in the 20's not to exceed pick 15.

And I would love if the top 2 or 4 Euro League teams could be involved somehow. I get that they can't but that would make it more European.
The entire purpose of the draft is to make the league more competitive, in part to make up for the huge advantage prime franchises have. Awarding picks or upgrading picks for teams that excel does the exact opposite.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The entire purpose of the draft is to make the league more competitive, in part to make up for the huge advantage prime franchises have. Awarding picks or upgrading picks for teams that excel does the exact opposite.
I think awarding picks at the end of the first round would be sufficient. They aren't without value (as we saw even just recently), but they also aren't going to unfairly over compensate an already good team either.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Why would they makes picks any sort of incentive? The players don't give two craps about picks. The only thing that makes sense is paying the players for winning. Giving like $500k for each player on the roster is probably sufficient enough to motivate teams to try to win. All our vet minimum players would certainly want that money.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think awarding picks at the end of the first round would be sufficient. They aren't without value (as we saw even just recently), but they also aren't going to unfairly over compensate an already good team either.
No matter how you look at it, it's still the rich getting richer. Even if it's just a little bit richer.

Raindog

Reaction score
No matter how you look at it, it's still the rich getting richer. Even if it's just a little bit richer.
But they earned it by winning the tourney... which just by the way, I think is a silly idea to begin with. At least if they award some kind of incentive, the fans can be more invested in it.

Raindog

Reaction score
Why would they makes picks any sort of incentive? The players don't give two craps about picks. The only thing that makes sense is paying the players for winning. Giving like $500k for each player on the roster is probably sufficient enough to motivate teams to try to win. All our vet minimum players would certainly want that money.
As in my reply just above this one, I am more interested in something that the fans of the teams could be invested in. I get that the players couldn't care less about draft picks and would only be playing for money. Personally, I think the whole idea is somewhat ridiculous. Who is going to care about winning some meaningless NBA winter tournament title? It has about as much value as which conference wins the ASG.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
As in my reply just above this one, I am more interested in something that the fans of the teams could be invested in. I get that the players couldn't care less about draft picks and would only be playing for money. Personally, I think the whole idea is somewhat ridiculous. Who is going to care about winning some meaningless NBA winter tournament title? It has about as much value as which conference wins the ASG.
If the prize is something like $500k per player than plenty of players would be motivated for that. Especially the lesser paid players as that would be like 25% of their salary as a bonus.

Raindog

Reaction score
If the prize is something like $500k per player than plenty of players would be motivated for that. Especially the lesser paid players as that would be like 25% of their salary as a bonus.
Players yes, fans not so much... which is what my original point was.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally I was thinking of something like a trade exception or MLE for the winning team and that wouldn't help much for teams that aren't against the tax apron. Luxury tax relief would be nice but why would the players and fans care? That's why I think a draft pick would be an incentive fans and teams could get excited about and the players get their extra money so they're taken care of.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Players yes, fans not so much... which is what my original point was.
Why would the fans not watch it? These games count as a regular season games as well and thus you would just be watching regular season games with a little more meaning to them. The only game that doesn't count as a regular season game is the championship game itself, but that game will be better than any random regular season game anyways.

Raindog

Reaction score
Why would the fans not watch it? These games count as a regular season games as well and thus you would just be watching regular season games with a little more meaning to them. The only game that doesn't count as a regular season game is the championship game itself, but that game will be better than any random regular season game anyways.
Sure, fans will watch it... just like they would watch any other regular season game. But if the NBA wants to create and market something like this as some kind of "grand spectacle" (which they seemingly are intent on), then why not reward the winning team with something the fans can at least be mildly excited about?

Otherwise, winning this thing on an annual basis is going to be about as exciting as your favorite college team winning the NIT. After the initial novelty wears off in like two years, literally no one is going to care about the NBA Cup.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Sure, fans will watch it... just like they would watch any other regular season game. But if the NBA wants to create and market something like this as some kind of "grand spectacle" (which they seemingly are intent on), then why not reward the winning team with something the fans can at least be mildly excited about?

Otherwise, winning this thing on an annual basis is going to be about as exciting as your favorite college team winning the NIT. After the initial novelty wears off in like two years, literally no one is going to care about the NBA Cup.
It is only meant to be something that shakes up the monotony of an 82 game season. This isn't meant to be some prestigious thing that people go crazy for, but something to add a little excitement in the middle of the season. Really doesn't need to be any more deep than that.

Raindog

Reaction score
It is only meant to be something that shakes up the monotony of an 82 game season. This isn't meant to be some prestigious thing that people go crazy for, but something to add a little excitement in the middle of the season. Really doesn't need to be any more deep than that.
Well then, emphasis on "little" excitement, because that's what it's going to be.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Well then, emphasis on "little" excitement, because that's what it's going to be.
Kind of disagree. For me personally and apparently for you as well it will be kind of "meh", but for a lot of people they will get excited for it. Maybe not for who wins, but for some of the great games it will probably lead to.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So in Europe for soccer, these tournaments mean more to the people. Also, these drawing the brackets are big shows on TV. I don't remember seeing the NBA creating a bunch of hype for the drawing of the brackets. You want people to buy in, you gotta hype this up. They are already behind the eight ball on this.