The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Well the reality is that it's a lot easier to just cut bait and waive a 2.4M minimum contract than the monstrous 27.9M contract he had before. If he's not working out they should just send him home. The media would just feast on this though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the reality is that it's a lot easier to just cut bait and waive a 2.4M minimum contract than the monstrous 27.9M contract he had before. If he's not working out they should just send him home. The media would just feast on this though.

I agree with this take. I'm definitely not a Carmelo fan but if it doesn't work out the Rockets can always let him go. They are looking for another weapon and hoping they get lucky. Beasley is still around.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I agree with this take. I'm definitely not a Carmelo fan but if it doesn't work out the Rockets can always let him go. They are looking for another weapon and hoping they get lucky. Beasley is still around.
Who? Michael Beasley? He signed with the Lakers last week.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who? Michael Beasley? He signed with the Lakers last week.

It was a reference that Beasley was once considered a problem player but he has become a contributor. Hence the comment he is still around.

Carmelo has attitude issues as well. I think the Rockets are hoping Carmelo matures with age and perhaps accepting of a lesser role with time.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It was a reference that Beasley was once considered a problem player but he has become a contributor. Hence the comment he is still around.

Carmelo has attitude issues as well. I think the Rockets are hoping Carmelo matures with age and perhaps accepting of a lesser role with time.
Ah ok. The way your post was worded made it seem like you thought Beasley was still a free agent.

Carmelo maturing with age and accepting a lesser role? Yeah, not gonna happen. The Rockets made a big mistake here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah ok. The way your post was worded made it seem like you thought Beasley was still a free agent.

Carmelo maturing with age and accepting a lesser role? Yeah, not gonna happen. The Rockets made a big mistake here.

Teams at the top often jump from stone to stone to cross the stream. I think such is the case with the Rockets acquiring Carmelo.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The supermax is a bad idea. When one player makes nearly 50% of the payroll it's silly. The fact that the supermax is in place gives the players the impression that if they are the best player on the team, they are EXPECTED to get it.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Good Lord, I like Wall, but that contract is insane. Nobody but LeBron and Durant-types should be on contracts like that.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The supermax is a bad idea. When one player makes nearly 50% of the payroll it's silly. The fact that the supermax is in place gives the players the impression that if they are the best player on the team, they are EXPECTED to get it.
This is very true and almost an understated fact.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is very true and almost an understated fact.

The worst part is what it does to the next tier players. Agents are routinely pushing for max deals for players that would have never even been in the conversation for big bucks prior to the creation of the Super Max.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The worst part is what it does to the next tier players. Agents are routinely pushing for max deals for players that would have never even been in the conversation for big bucks prior to the creation of the Super Max.
Yep. It does that too. I have tried to think of ways to fix it, but they don't work. For instance, if you say only first team all-nba players can get a supermax contract, then as soon as someone makes first team (even once by the skin of his teeth) he will expect to get it.

The only solution I can think of, and I was against it at first, was eliminate the max contract altogether. I think it has been Phrazbit that has been pushing this. This will cause teams and players to look at their own value in relation to the whole of their team, not an arbitrary number. But I think this has to be coupled with a harder cap. Maybe if a team is over the high end of the luxury tax (repeater or whatever they call it range) they lose all draft picks until they are under. Maybe being over for the year means you lose your next, highest pick that belongs to you regardless of where it came from. I am sure there are holes with this. I am just thinking out loud.

It will allow teams to develop different philosophies and paths toward winning. Some teams will go with one or two stars taking up most of their cap, while other teams will seek to fill an entire team with quality players but at more reasonable contracts. It should balance itself out.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cheap

I found it reasonable as well. Some times I wonder how the Suns would look if they drafted Doncic or Young and went after Capela or Nurkic in free agency.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reportedly $10 million of the $90 million contract is incentives.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I found it reasonable as well. Some times I wonder how the Suns would look if they drafted Doncic or Young and went after Capela or Nurkic in free agency.
They would have created more of a market and either the Suns or Rockets would have had to pay a lot more. The end result would have been a bigger contract for Capella with the Rockets and the Suns with Doncic or Young.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Here's a question.
A number of us in here wanted Adams but who would have the huevos to reach for him at 5? I thought about it but I don't think I advocated it in here - I did propose trades we could make with OKC to get the pick they used to nab him.

A related question: does anyone, right now, have to huevos to claim they'd have picked Adams at 5 if it had been their decision.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a question.
A number of us in here wanted Adams but who would have the huevos to reach for him at 5? I thought about it but I don't think I advocated it in here - I did propose trades we could make with OKC to get the pick they used to nab him.

A related question: does anyone, right now, have to huevos to claim they'd have picked Adams at 5 if it had been their decision.
I wanted Adams but we didn't have a pick in that range.