2023 in Season Tournament, The "NBA Cup"

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So in Europe for soccer, these tournaments mean more to the people. Also, these drawing the brackets are big shows on TV. I don't remember seeing the NBA creating a bunch of hype for the drawing of the brackets. You want people to buy in, you gotta hype this up. They are already behind the eight ball on this.

They need something to make this tournament more exciting. I'm not exactly sure what is, but it's not money.

I used to love the high school and college holiday tournaments because it brought in new teams and exciting matchups.

Somehow they need to get the European basketball teams involved to add a rivalry element.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, those Euro soccer tournaments mean so much to fans over there basically because the same handful of teams win the national leagues literally year after year. So Real Madrid winning another La Liga title really isn't all that dramatic to their fans. But Real Madrid winning the Champions League and the FIFA Club World Cup actually creates much more excitement because it's another higher level of international competition that the winner's fans can actually brag about.

Unfortunately, that's a more difficult sell here in America because in most American team sports, the league competition here is far superior to anything on an international basis. So if you win the NBA title, the World Series, or the Super Bowl, you have pretty much already climbed the mountain.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, those Euro soccer tournaments mean so much to fans over there basically because the same handful of teams win the national leagues literally year after year. So Real Madrid winning another La Liga title really isn't all that dramatic to their fans. But Real Madrid winning the Champions League and the FIFA Club World Cup actually creates much more excitement because it's another higher level of international competition that the winner's fans can actually brag about.

Unfortunately, that's a more difficult sell here in America because in most American team sports, the league competition here is far superior to anything on an international basis. So if you win the NBA title, the World Series, or the Super Bowl, you have pretty much already climbed the mountain.

The major difference is that the league title in European soccer goes to what we would call the "regular season" champion. They don't do a playoff at the end of the year, if you have the best record, you are the champ. Then these cups go congruently, as a playoff of sorts but they involve lower levels of the leagues and last far longer. The FA cup play in England begins right at the start of the season in the lower tiered divisions and ends a week after league play ends, hundreds of teams take part.

It's more prestigious and far more money for the club if they win the league, but Cup wins are obviously more dramatic and have even been won by teams from lower divisions.

I don't really see how the NBA can copy that level of drama the way the sport is set up.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The major difference is that the league title in European soccer goes to what we would call the "regular season" champion. They don't do a playoff at the end of the year, if you have the best record, you are the champ. Then these cups go congruently, as a playoff of sorts but they involve lower levels of the leagues and last far longer. The FA cup play in England begins right at the start of the season in the lower tiered divisions and ends a week after league play ends, hundreds of teams take part.

It's more prestigious and far more money for the club if they win the league, but Cup wins are obviously more dramatic and have even been won by teams from lower divisions.

I don't really see how the NBA can copy that level of drama the way the sport is set up.
Also, it's like golf in that Man City won the trifecta or however they say it. Even the ex Man City guys were all choked up.

"Manchester United famously became the first English club to win a treble of any kind when they captured the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League all in the one season."

Heck, Americans don't even get excited when we win a gold medal at the Olympics in basketball anymore.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
McDonald's Championship

This was way ahead of their time. The US dominated too much, and it got to be a why do it? Look at the Wikipedia link. I remember the year the Bulls played. Plus our year, we kinda ran teams off the court. Still I liked it because it was international competition with pro teams.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe some day there could be an NBA world basket ball championship after the United States NBA championship is decided.

Now that would bring excitement worldwide.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McDonald's Championship

This was way ahead of their time. The US dominated too much, and it got to be a why do it? Look at the Wikipedia link. I remember the year the Bulls played. Plus our year, we kinda ran teams off the court. Still I liked it because it was international competition with pro teams.

We got smoked by an Australian team last preseason, remember that? I like how the league has been open to doing exhibition in the preseason with international clubs.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We got smoked by an Australian team last preseason, remember that? I like how the league has been open to doing exhibition in the preseason with international clubs.

That was embarrassing. I sold that game… felt bad for whoever bought it.

Didn’t the team go to Israel in the preseason years ago?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns made history by hosting consecutive NBA games in Mexico City.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I can see it now...... "These games are not included in your League Pass subscription. Add them on for another $49.99!"

The name and the trophy are both pretty poor IMO. The Association Cup makes some sense but I can't think of better options.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see it now...... "These games are not included in your League Pass subscription. Add them on for another $49.99!"

The name and the trophy are both pretty poor IMO. The Association Cup makes some sense but I can't think of better options.
You don't think The Stupid Cup would work better? Or maybe The Desperation Cup?

I know some are looking forward to this but to me it seems gimmicky and reeks of desperation. And I'm not saying it can't succeed, dumb things succeed all the time. But for me, it just cheapens the NBA image.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The WNBA has done this for a season or two. No one in the WNBA refers to it. The teams that win it don't tout it. I watch a LOT of WNBA and I can't tell you the past winners. I don't even know what games count for the Commishioner's Cup in the WNBA.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson