Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I've always thought these movies if done right will far outdo the old ones.

Let's see if they do them right or not.

The last time I mentioned this others told me the Matrix series already did this, and yes they did to some extent but IMO it could be done much better.

Mankind is a devious animal, I'd like to see that unleashed against somthing other than other humans.

IMO the way to do this right is to maintain plausibility, high powered action with periods of strategic human interpersonal relationships woven into it.

It would be a bitch to do right but it'd be a home run if pulled off correctly, personally I bet they go heavy on the action and light on the human factor, which IMO again would be a tragic mistake.

I know it's a risk but if I were a studio I'd go LOTR on this and film all three in one shot, you'd need incredible writing but you could build a much more credible story this way, taking some time for the backstory instead of rushing it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to MTV, Linda Hamilton has confirmed what Terminator Salvation director McG first hinted at last month - she'll be back to do a voiceover as Sarah Connor.

Here's what she had to say:

"We are talking"... "I haven't read it yet. I don't know what direction they will go in."

While she awaits the specifics in a script, Hamilton already knows what her role generally would be. "My contribution would be voiceover," she said. "I would probably be very happy to loan my voice depending on what the material is. Wait and see. They're already writing it. We've been negotiating it.

Terminator Salvation is coming to theaters on May 21.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am starting to wonder about the movie. Josh Brolin did an interview where he states that he spoke with Christian Bale and Bale sounded less then enthused about how the movie was turning out. Brolin basically then told Bale "I told you so" and that was the reason he turned down the movie (meaning after reading the script). Now Bale goes "Sarah Conner" on the set which might further point to his fustration about the project.

It wouldn't surprise me because ths is a McG film. He has made ultra cheese movies in the past. I was shocked when I found out that McG was picked to direct this.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The trailer they showed during Watchmen was... intriguing.
I'd expected an open pit of sewage, but I've never been a Terminator guy (although Cpl Hicks for teh win always).
This looks like it could be interesting.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bale is a noted arse.... His blowing up (on tape no less) was eyerollingly pathetic and pitiful. I suspect it had less to do with the quality of the movie than it did with Prince Bale not getting his way about something.....
You must be registered for see images

I'm certainly not going to prejudge this movie based upon his tantrum....

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
17 days!! I for one can not wait for this movie. I am not a Christian Bale guy but I think he looks really good in this part.

RASTA14

Reaction score
the trailer before wolverine started was excellent, terminator should open in the 68-75 million range. but then again 85-90 million wouldnt surprise me.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Terminator Salvation

Terminator Salvation

Release Date: May 21, 2009
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: McG
Screenwriter: John Brancato, Michael Ferris
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and language)

Starring: Christian Bale, Sam Worthington, Anton Yelchin, Moon Bloodgood, Bryce Dallas Howard, Common, Jane Alexander, Helena Bonham Carter

Plot Summary: The highly anticipated new installment of "The Terminator" film franchise is set in post-apocalyptic 2018. John Connor is the man fated to lead the human resistance against Skynet and its army of Terminators. But the future that Connor was raised to believe in is altered in part by the appearance of Marcus Wright, a stranger whose last memory is of being on death row. Connor must decide whether Marcus has been sent from the future, or rescued from the past. As Skynet prepares its final onslaught, Connor and Marcus both embark on an odyssey that takes them into the heart of Skynet's operations, where they uncover the terrible secret behind the possible annihilation of mankind.

You must be registered for see images attach

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I went to Star Trek tonight and the newer trailers for this left a little doubt in my mind.

It's really hard to tell, I know the effects will be great but I'm hoping for a really good storyline too, you just never know.

This trailer left me a little uneasy about what it might look like but again I'm hopefull.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
...Connor and Marcus both embark on an odyssey that takes them into the heart of Skynet's operations, where they uncover the terrible secret behind the possible annihilation of mankind.

Here's the Dirty Secret:

This guy is Skynet:

You must be registered for see images

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie was an OK movie but was not a great movie. Nowhere near as good as T2 but better then T3 though.

First the good. It was cool to finally see John Conner in action as a leader. Also, to see a little bit more about how the resistance was fighting Skynet in the future. Some pretty cool FX and some big action sequences. The movie was fun to watch.

Now the not so good stuff. I just couldn't shake the feeling I had seen several of these scenes in Transformers the movie. There were times in the movie that I felt like I was no longer watching a Terminator movie.

Also, the story was just OK. To me if felt like this was definitely a setup movie for the next 2. The other thing that bothered me was that in the other movies they gave the impression that the machines had them all hiding like rats. Yet in this movie they had mankind out in the open a little to much and tried to explain it by indicating the humans had some distance from the Skynet base. Yet later indicated Skynet was global. Just didn't seem to plausible.

Again, good movie but not even close to being on par with Star Trek IMO.

Last edited:

Skratchy_Seal

Registered
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the action and special effects were all there. I LOVED the T-800, though it seemed the T-600 moved more like humans than the T-800 endoskeleton.

I agree with Steeldog about the being-out-in-the-open thing, and it seemed like it was a bit more even-handed than what the humans were saying.

I think what I was disappointed most about was that all the characters were lacking. I just didn't feel anything for them, and I had high hopes for Marcus Wright.

Overall, I think I overhyped myself for this movie. It was good, but I didn't come away with it like I did with Star Trek or even Wolverine.

Also, I saw a scene in the previews where John was sitting down and saying that if they let the T-800's go online, then the war was over. Did I somehow miss that in the movie?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a movie theater movie. In the age of home Hi-Def systems, movies like this are the reason that theaters will stay in business. Simply amazing effects and sound. The story was something you would expect from a Terminator movie.

Was the Helena Bonham Carter character a terminator? I only ask because Marcus said, "so, that is what death tastes like" when he kissed her. The only part of the plot that bugged me was when Kate Connor preformed heart transplant surgery. IIRC, she is a veterinarian, not a surgeon.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Was the Helena Bonham Carter character a terminator? I only ask because Marcus said, "so, that is what death tastes like" when he kissed her. The only part of the plot that bugged me was when Kate Connor preformed heart transplant surgery. IIRC, she is a veterinarian, not a surgeon.

You don't think she would have adapted in the previous 10 years? I don't think it's that far-fetched.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't think she would have adapted in the previous 10 years? I don't think it's that far-fetched.

I think she could have adapted to become a great doctor even a good surgeon, but how many people in the world can do a heart transplant to begin with? Then you factor in the environment and little resources they had. Also, who trained her? That bunker they were in at the end of T3 didn't look like it have much in the form of heart transplant training. I know I am nitpicking and I should expect something like that form a McG movie. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was just OK for me. If I could ever figure out how to do spoilers I would list what bothered me.