Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It was just OK for me. If I could ever figure out how to do spoilers I would list what bothered me.

[poiler]type sentence you want to hide[/poiler]

you would type spoiler instead of poiler

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Good stuff. Like some others have mentioned, I was a little surprised at how out in the open the resistance was. I suppose it was necessary for the storyline.

I liked the Marcus character. That Worthington guy did a nice job. I see he's going to be in the new Clash of the Titans next year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Box office has been disappointing for this film. If it keeps up I would say future installments are in jeopardy. McG has a very spotty film record to say the least. It's on pace to do worse then T3.

I am not that surprised because I know people who won't go see this film because they think McG is too camp or a crap director. I thought this was an OK movie but now I read McG's direction of the next film and I have to say we need James Cameron back before this next film gets made. The only positive thing I can think of at this time that McG is attached to that I like is the Super Natural series....other then that I think McG is a hack director which worried me when I heard he was attached to this film. Here is what he said about the next movie.

"John Connor is going to travel back in time and he's going to have to galvanize the militaries of the world for an impending Skynet invasion. They've figured out time travel to the degree where they can send more than one naked entity. So you're going to have hunter killers and transports and harvesters and everything arriving in our time and Connor fighting back with conventional military warfare, which I think is going to be f*cking awesome."

"
I also think he's going to meet a scientist that's going to look a lot like present-day Robert Patrick [who famously played the T-1000 in Terminator 2], talking about stem-cell research and how we can all live as idealized, younger versions of ourselves."

Oh please don't let this be made. James where art thou?

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a big part of the poor box office was due to the release of the child friendly Night at the Museum. On a holiday weekend, families are more inclined to see a movie for the entire family. Not sure what comes out next week, but if there is not action movie, it could have a solid week 2 and make up some difference. By the way, Night did 70 million while did 67 million. Night opened on over 4000 screens, while T4 was on about 3500 and Star Trek is still on over 4000 screens. Wolverine is still on 3200 screens.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think a big part of the poor box office was due to the release of the child friendly Night at the Museum. On a holiday weekend, families are more inclined to see a movie for the entire family. Not sure what comes out next week, but if there is not action movie, it could have a solid week 2 and make up some difference. By the way, Night did 70 million while did 67 million. Night opened on over 4000 screens, while T4 was on about 3500 and Star Trek is still on over 4000 screens. Wolverine is still on 3200 screens.

And it's not going to get any better. Up is being released this week, which is going to take box office from EVERYBODY.

I think WB did a bad job with their release schedule on this, although I'm not sure many people expected Night at the Museum 2 to do as well as it did. Most summer blockbusters are released in the hopes of winning their first weekend big and then expected to get beaten the following weekend. That wasn't the case here, unfortunately. Good thing WB has a little backup plan up their sleeve called Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Let's not also forget the critics are blasting this movie. People tend to pay a little more attention to things like that when money is tight. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 34% which would make it one of the worst reviewed blockbusters in some time.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's not also forget the critics are blasting this movie. People tend to pay a little more attention to things like that when money is tight. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 34% which would make it one of the worst reviewed blockbusters in some time.

That is a good point. Although, I think we will see at least one more of them. I do agree that a new director would be nice. I also think we need to see closure the the series soon. Traveling back in time only makes it feel like it will drag out.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I saw this movie yesterday night - was jazzed going in.

All I have to say is:

Meh. Wait for the video. Or until it gets into the dollar theater.

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
I never listen to the critics ever. It is almost a 100% thing that if a critic dislikes a movie I will like it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this movie sucks?

It doesn't suck but it's not a great movie either. It's nowhere near as good as T2 IMO. My expectations were not high when I heard McG was attached but I guess I was expecting more story wise. The FX were very cool and it had some really cool moments but the story was....blah.

If McG keeps heading down the storyline path that I posted above, I fully expect him to run the franchise into the ground like Joel Schumacher did the Batman franchise.

Then again, maybe that's a good thing and we might get our Dark Night of the Terminator series somewhere down the line.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't suck but it's not a great movie either. It's nowhere near as good as T2 IMO. My expectations were not high when I heard McG was attached but I guess I was expecting more story wise. The FX were very cool and it had some really cool moments but the story was....blah.

If McG keeps heading down the storyline path that I posted above, I fully expect him to run the franchise into the ground like Joel Schumacher did the Batman franchise.

Then again, maybe that's a good thing and we might get our Dark Night of the Terminator series somewhere down the line.

With or with out Christian Bale?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
While T4 is a sequel, it is not the same kind of movie as T2. It has more in common with T3, but is a much better movie.

I'm in the minority on this board, I loved it, it was a fun and entertaining time at the movies. Not as layered as Star Trek, but still a great time.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While T4 is a sequel, it is not the same kind of movie as T2. It has more in common with T3, but is a much better movie.

I'm in the minority on this board, I loved it, it was a fun and entertaining time at the movies. Not as layered as Star Trek, but still a great time.

I am 100% with you Chap

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed they are not the same kind but I can't help but feel McG missed the boat in his version of things in the future. It doesn't mesh with the short glimpses we get in the previous films IMO.

This movie feels more like a failed attempted reboot then a continuation which is why I have a problem with it. Again, thought it was OK. I guess all I can hope for is they get better on the next 2. However, based on McG's comments on the next film...I am very afraid.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
this movie sucks?

No, it doesn't suck. It's average. If it sucked, I would have walked out in the middle of it and demanded my money back. My wife will verify that I'm famous for making up my mind in the first 15 minutes of a film.

If it truly sucked, I would tell you to avoid it like the plague. If it's average, just wait until it comes out on video. If it's worth seeing - then go to the movie theater.

Star Trek (for example) - see it in IMAX. Twice. With a large popcorn.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to check this out over the weekend. It doesn't look like a movie I wouldn't want to see on the big screen.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
No, it doesn't suck. It's average. If it sucked, I would have walked out in the middle of it and demanded my money back. My wife will verify that I'm famous for making up my mind in the first 15 minutes of a film.

If it truly sucked, I would tell you to avoid it like the plague. If it's average, just wait until it comes out on video. If it's worth seeing - then go to the movie theater.

Star Trek (for example) - see it in IMAX. Twice. With a large popcorn.

thanks for the info
and
btw,
i don't like star trek
:)

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I liked it a lot. Didnt really care if there was some things that didnt jive with the T1 through T3 movies. Kind of took this on its own with only the basic idea's first three.

So far this summer is shaping out to be a pretty good one for me, I have really liked Star Trek, T4, Hangover, and Drag Me To Hell. I can stop right now and it might already be in my top 5 Summers. And I haven't even watched UP yet which a guy who likes everything I like is raving about as well, will be watching that tomorrow.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm with you, pard!!! Me and the bride loved it!!! 4.5 out of 5.

Ok... One little nit to pick as I do with all movies involving a future fired by a cataclysmic event.... Why does the gasoline still burn? I hate to tell ya, but gasoline that was sitting in a tanker for as little as 6 months wouldn't burn very well.... and if it's been in there for a couple o' years, well.... just forget about it burning well enough to power a vehicle or to even burn at all.

In fact... I can only think of one movie that references gasoline getting old and becoming unable to sustain combustion.... Any guesses on what it may be??? (A case of cyber beer to the winner).

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You liked a McG movie. I'm recording this for posterity.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard