Suns @ Warriors Tuesday game thread, 10-24-2023 - SEASON OPENER

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. He looked like he was playing for the Washington Generals last night but let's give him another chance before taking drastic measures like that.

I was literally telling Allen not to shoot the ball. :lol:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night was just more proof that Booker is sooooooo much better than I ever expected. He dominated the last five minutes, scoring or assisting on all 15 points to end the game.

I really thought when we got KD, it was absolutely necessary because we needed him to the be true blue #1 superstar and could slide Booker over to be the best 1B in the league. But there’s no doubt he’s the best player on this team at this point. Which is impressive, in of itself.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Last night was just more proof that Booker is sooooooo much better than I ever expected. He dominated the last five minutes, scoring or assisting on all 15 points to end the game.

I really thought when we got KD, it was absolutely necessary because we needed him to the be true blue #1 superstar and could slide Booker over to be the best 1B in the league. But there’s no doubt he’s the best player on this team at this point. Which is impressive, in of itself.
I agree, but the question remains, is Booker good enough to be the #1 player on a championship team? He's still only borderline top-ten in the league.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, but the question remains, is Booker good enough to be the #1 player on a championship team? He's still only borderline top-ten in the league.
That does remain to be seen. I think it only happens if they have a healthy Beal/Durant. That just opens the offense up soooooo much that I don’t think you need to have a LeBron(in his prime)/Curry/Jokic/Giannis to win it.

I think if CP3 doesn’t forget how to play basketball the last four games of the Finals our dual 1B superstars could have and would have overcome Giannis. But everyone’s got to be healthy and that’s the hugest question mark of the season.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
No, because the Warriors played pretty awful as well. I expect better competition in most games.
The Warriors shot like crap. They did however play some good defense and I suspect most of our games will be against lesser defensive teams. Not many teams are going to make Durant look "old" this year.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Spent most of today complaining about what went wrong but aren't really talking about what went right. Consider the play of Jusuf Nurkic and Josh Okogie (along with Book). No win last night without them.
Maybe it's just me, but I expect that kind of performance from Book and Okogie. Nurk was better than expected though.

What I was not expecting was terrible games from Gordon, Allen, and Durant.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Warriors shot like crap. They did however play some good defense and I suspect most of our games will be against lesser defensive teams. Not many teams are going to make Durant look "old" this year.
I hope your right, but unfortunately he looked about the same as he did in game 5 and 6 against Denver.

It seems like the book is out on how to defend him. Get physical and make him dribble than go for the strip, or make him take a fadeaway.
I mean I expect him to play better than that most nights, but he doesn't seem like the lethal player he used to be.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I hope your right, but unfortunately he looked about the same as he did in game 5 and 6 against Denver.

It seems like the book is out on how to defend him. Get physical and make him dribble than go for the strip, or make him take a fadeaway.
I mean I expect him to play better than that most nights, but he doesn't seem like the lethal player he used to be.
Denver was playing some exceptional defense in those playoffs. They had the 3rd best defensive rating of all teams in the playoffs last year.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also has to do with how he was defended. He was beat up on multiple occasions.
Beat him up and get underneath him on his jump shots. By the letter of the law half that defense should be an automatic technical foul. Understandably he seems really concerned about landing on someone's feet. The answer is probably two run him off more screens

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Beat him up and get underneath him on his jump shots. By the letter of the law half that defense should be an automatic technical foul. Understandably he seems really concerned about landing on someone's feet. The answer is probably two run him off more screens
I think part of the equation is with the other guys knocking down their open looks. Once teams have to pay enough for leaving guys like Allen and Gordon open, Durant will see more one on one matchups. I also think he was forcing it at times. He may be great at making tough shots, but that doesn't mean he needs to be taking a bunch of tough shots.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will hang my hat on that this team is going to take time to gel. There is no way around it. Durant has not had a full season with the Suns. Gordon, Nurkic etc. This is an entirely new system since LAST season to boot. I think we all need a tad of patience before judging any of these players and how they are playing right now. As of now, I am not worried about mistakes or them looking out of sync or even how they are shooting at the moment. Being at the right place at the right time can have a ton to do if shots are contested or if the game is flowing.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Curry did this to Booker too, maybe it could have been a tech? Least it was a shooting foul.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know Book has had bad elimination performances and when he’s not 100 percent, he’s a different player. But this dude was putting up Jordan numbers in the playoffs.

He can most definitely be the #1 and he’s a top 10 player if not talent based, skill and will based for sure. Book is in his prime right now. C’mon #1

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I know Book has had bad elimination performances and when he’s not 100 percent, he’s a different player. But this dude was putting up Jordan numbers in the playoffs.

He can most definitely be the #1 and he’s a top 10 player if not talent based, skill and will based for sure. Book is in his prime right now. C’mon #1
Book is probably a top 5 player in the league, ain't no question if he is top 10 or not..

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Denver was playing some exceptional defense in those playoffs. They had the 3rd best defensive rating of all teams in the playoffs last year.
Ok - we have to go through Denver to win the title - so I would say that still makes it a concern.

Apparently GS knows how to stop him too.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Book is probably a top 5 player in the league, ain't no question if he is top 10 or not..
I think I agree - but saying there is no question is not an accurate statement.

There is very little difference between Book and SGA, Damion Lillard, Steph, Jayson Tatum

My top 5 is probably
1. Joker
2. Giannis
3. Luka - this pain's me to do but he always outperforms Book head to head
4. Booker
5. Embid

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson