Suns @ Warriors Tuesday game thread, 10-24-2023 - SEASON OPENER

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s game 1 dude.

Except it’s not. I repeatedly said in this thread that it’s a trend I’ve noticed that started in the playoffs and carried through to multiple preseason games, dude.

Now, he’s not going to be 7/22 bad moving forward, but his inability to get great looks like he used to is something that bears watching.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could as long as Beal can stay relatively healthy which I know is a big if.

Dude’s not even healthy before wear and tear of regular season even begins.

My point is a "washed" Durant is still better than a huge chunk of the league and it's only one game.

I think that’s a really dubious claim if this is who he is. Especially considering the massive amount of talent/picks we gave up for him.

Let's see how he does over a long stretch.

I hope I’m wrong. I’ve just been really surprised at what he’s looked like since the Denver series, thru the preseason and last night.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a good win, but it exposes what I've been concerned about, which is that the Suns have six or seven legitimate players and then a bunch of guys desperate to stay in the league. The bench plus Allen shot 10-36, with 8 assists and 8 turnovers. Even if everyone is healthy, Vogel is going to have to get quality bench minutes from somewhere.

I was wrong about Okogie. He has enough intangibles to have secured a spot, and when he's making shots, he's a real asset.
Eubanks played well, Gordon and Allen have way too much positive history to say they are way better than they performed last night. That is 8 players right there.

Yuta played ok, but I am hoping for better. Little did his job in his few minutes.

Bottom line it's way way to early to jump to that conclusion after game 1.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude’s not even healthy before wear and tear of regular season even begins.

I think that’s a really dubious claim if this is who he is. Especially considering the massive amount of talent/picks we gave up for him.

I hope I’m wrong. I’ve just been really surprised at what he’s looked like since the Denver series, thru the preseason and last night.
There is nothing dubious about anybody in the league that puts up 18/10 if that's what he averages. However, granted, that's not the type of player we traded for. He was supposed to be an unguardable option. One thing I have noticed is that most of Durant's shots are of the turnaround variety or shots with someone in his face from the outside. There is no doubt he is drawing attention because someone is always in his face. I would like to see plays to free him up for midrange shots. That doesn't seem to be in the offensive playbook. If this is the Durant we are going to get? They need to free him up verses depending on him to hit contested turnarounds all the time. I hope this is just an aberration because we are going to have to lean on Book/Beal even more if this is the Durant we get.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is nothing dubious about anybody in the league that puts up 18/10 if that's what he averages.

On horrific shooting? And saying it’s better than most of the league? Because those are both baked into the cake of your argument. And yeah, it is.

However, granted, that's not the type of player we traded for. He was supposed to be an unguardable option. One thing I have noticed is that most of Durant's shots are of the turnaround variety or shots with someone in his face from the outside. There is no doubt he is drawing attention because someone is always in his face. I would like to see plays to free him up for midrange shots. That doesn't seem to be in the offensive playbook. If this is the Durant we are going to get? They need to free him up verses depending on him to hit contested turnarounds all the time. I hope this is just an aberration because we are going to have to lean on Book/Beal even more if this is the Durant we get.

Reality is if this is the Durant we’re gonna get, this team ain’t winning jack squat.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
That 3rd quarter tho! o_O

You must be registered for see images attach

KD isn't washed btw lol - it literally was 1 game - and despite what's being touted in here he has had good games as Sun - hopefully any Suns fan who thinks KD has fallen off will be happy to be wrong

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On horrific shooting? And saying it’s better than most of the league? Because those are both baked into the cake of your argument. And yeah, it is.

Reality is if this is the Durant we’re gonna get, this team ain’t winning jack squat.
I was specific to contributing 18/10 to your team. Naturally you would like that to be less ugly and more efficient. I am obviously, also assuming that Book/Beal play up to par. That's why it's not. I think if Beal is Beal and Book is Book, if you can find way to free up Durant to more open looks they can still get it done IMO. Plus, it appears that Nurkic is going to provide more consistency than Ayton and the bench is likely better than last year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We know Durant can shoot. He had an off shooting night, so I'm not worried about that.

Durant also added 11 rebounds, 3 assists and a block.

I'm still thinking about those last two assists by Booker to Gordon and Nurkic for the win. That was special when the Warriors were expecting Booker to shoot.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was specific to contributing 18/10 to your team. Naturally you would like that to be less ugly and more efficient. I am obviously, also assuming that Book/Beal play up to par. That's why it's not. I think if Beal is Beal and Book is Book, if you can find way to free up Durant to more open looks they can still get it done IMO. Plus, it appears that Nurkic is going to provide more consistency than Ayton and the bench is likely better than last year.
Sure, but all of the above rests on Beal being Beal, who can’t even get on the court to start the season, making him just as questionable as Durant being Durant at this point, if not moreso. That would be getting more from Beal than any of us expected.

I’m just been really surprised by how sloppy Durant has looked out there when pressed since he joined the club. His handles don’t look anything close to what they used to and time has caught up with what used to be a lightning quick first step.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Also has to do with how he was defended. He was beat up on multiple occasions.

All-time greats are supposed to be able to rise above that. Did we make that excuse for Jordan, Abdul-Jabbar, Bird, etc.?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Except it’s not. I repeatedly said in this thread that it’s a trend I’ve noticed that started in the playoffs and carried through to multiple preseason games, dude.

Now, he’s not going to be 7/22 bad moving forward, but his inability to get great looks like he used to is something that bears watching.
If that's how you want to go into this season, that's your prerogative. It just sounds like you're setting yourself up to say "I told you so" later in the year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone stressed about Eric Gordon shooting 4-16? I'm not. That 3-pointer late in the game was huge.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's how you want to go into this season, that's your prerogative. It just sounds like you're setting yourself up to say "I told you so" later in the year.
Huh? I was one of the BIGGEST proponents of the trade, laughed at anyone who said I.T wasn’t worth it. But since I’ve gotten to watch him game in and game out, I’ve literally been noticing and commenting about my concerns.

As for the last sentence in your post, we can agree to disagree without this turning into a stupid fight.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Huh? I was one of the BIGGEST proponents of the trade, laughed at anyone who said I.T wasn’t worth it. But since I’ve gotten to watch him game in and game out, I’ve literally been noticing and commenting about my concerns.

As for the last sentence in your post, we can agree to disagree without this turning into a stupid fight.
We've had what - 25 games with KD in the lineup? Statistically, a casual fan wouldn't think that KD was washed in the playoffs, even though a lot of us noticed something off on him.

This is the first real game with a brand new team, a brand new coach and system, and without a Chris Paul running the show. I certainly don't expect them to be a well-oiled machine after some meaningless preseason games. Comparing this team, and the players on it, with the one that finished the season last year is a mistake. IMO

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
After giving up on watching the Phillies playing like garbage, switched over to the Suns game... just in time to watch them playing like garbage. Geez.
Sorry pal but it was a great night for Arizona sports! :D

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
You paid less than $82,000 for your house?!

And what are grinches? I only know about the Christmas one.
We bought our house when the market collapsed (2010) - central Phx Arcadia area - 3 bedroom brick house built in 1949 - only had one owner

Got it for 65K on a 15 year mortgage and Obama helped with the (first time home owners) down payment

We have less than 2 years to go on the $700 a month mortgage - house is valued over $300K now

We got extremely lucky

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
We bought our house when the market collapsed (2010) - central Phx Arcadia area - 3 bedroom brick house built in 1949 - only had one owner

Got it for 65K on a 15 year mortgage and Obama helped with the (first time home owners) down payment

We have less than 2 years to go on the $700 a month mortgage - house is valued over $300K now

We got extremely lucky
Wow, that's amazing. Great timing. I grew up in the Arcadia area. Went to Ingleside and Arcadia HS.