Spurs @ Suns Tuesday game thread, 10-31-2023

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Maybe stop load managing Book and Beal and get their asses on the court
Indeed. I worry this could be some arrogance that could come back to haunt us. It seems like the attitude of the coaching is that we are so good, we can play at half strength just to get to the post season... and not going to worry about sacrificing a game here and there in order to "protect" big three guys' health.

All of that is fine, in theory. Maybe it can even be productive early on to develop the bench. But if it becomes the approach to the entire season, there's no doubt in my mind it will bite us in the ass by the end of the year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bleeping stupid, it was.

But the Suns biggest problem (as has clearly been proven in both of these losses) is that they literally have no one on the bench who can reliably handle the ball coming up court and/or apparently execute a set offensive play without chucking the ball into the second row.

The Suns let the Spurs hang around. This is what happens when they didn't put the Spurs away.

They have talent and they stole one.

If there is any clear blame, it's probably Frank Vogel not calling a timeout to advance the ball.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All in all... I spent most of the ride home tonight pondering how much sports entertain me verses how much pain they inflict.

This was a rough night.

Raindog

Reaction score
All in all... I spent most of the ride home tonight pondering how much sports entertain me verses how much pain they inflict.

This was a rough night.
I have that internal debate a lot these days. Every time you think you are following a team that is "dialed in," they always find a way to break your heart.

Raindog

Reaction score
With Booker out, the Suns offense seems to consist of everyone standing around until someone hits/misses a three pointer or throws the ball away. If Booker and/or Beal are going to continue to miss games throughout the season, that is untenable.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
With Booker out, the Suns offense seems to consist of everyone standing around until someone hits/misses a three pointer or throws the ball away. If Booker and/or Beal are going to continue to miss games throughout the season, that is untenable.

I think the depth guys will be fine when Book is back. Gordon and Allen have had some tough moments but they’re significant upgrades over Payne/Shamet. Goodwin has his limitations but he passes the eye test as a disrupter. Yuta is fine in the gunner role. I think a lot of teams will regret not pursuing Eubanks more aggressively. He’s a no nonsense type big that’s perfect for his role. Little has hit some shots but I don’t think he’s any good. I expect to see some Metu minutes when Nurk gets hurt.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
We treated them like a sparring partner and not an opponent - and we got knocked the f out

Not gonna overanalyze this one - we thought we could put the car on self-drive and catch some rest - but we don't have a Tesla so all we did was fall asleep at the wheel
They lacked any urgency in the 2nd half. Particularly Nurk was schooled on both ends by Collins, yet he tried repeatedly to score close to basket with failure. Also Spurs came back into game by high PnR where Nurk was slow to switch, with insane shooting from their guards, as insane as EG and Allen's in the 1st half. KD was triple teamed and forced to TO, while teammates wathed on till too late. They also let Wemby grab that last rebound for dunk, thinking maybe game was over. Vogel should have been alert by this team attitude problem and called a TO for the last possession. But all in all, it's just the lessons for a new group to learn, and materials to later film sessions to unfold.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think KD has ever been "the guy". He simply isn't a leader, never has been, never will be. He does his job, he gets his points but he isn't the guy firing people up... maybe he "leads by example" but his example largely involves making shots that no one else should attempt.

These guys kept trying to defer to him and he wanted nothing of it.

Watching KD pass up good looks on the outside in favor of whipping the ball to Okogie is makes my head want to explode... this sensation is compounded by then watching KD attempt an off balance fadeaway against a triple team on an ensuing possession. His habit of passing up easy looks and then forcing difficult shots is infuriating.

Arizona sports have me extremely bitter at the moment but this Suns team might break me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't think KD has ever been "the guy". He simply isn't a leader, never has been, never will be. He does his job, he gets his points but he isn't the guy firing people up... maybe he "leads by example" but his example largely involves making shots that no one else should attempt.

Watching KD pass up good looks on the outside in favor of whipping the ball to Okogie is makes my head want to explode... this sensation is compounded by then watching KD attempt an off balance fadeaway against a triple team on an ensuing possession. His habit of passing up easy looks and then forcing difficult shots is infuriating.

Arizona sports have me extremely bitter at the moment but this Suns team might break me.
LOL you’ve been like this a lot recently. :)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I turned it off at halftime, saying, "If the Suns blow this, I don't want to see it." Even so, I was shocked to see the final score this morning.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Indeed. I worry this could be some arrogance that could come back to haunt us. It seems like the attitude of the coaching is that we are so good, we can play at half strength just to get to the post season... and not going to worry about sacrificing a game here and there in order to "protect" big three guys' health.

All of that is fine, in theory. Maybe it can even be productive early on to develop the bench. But if it becomes the approach to the entire season, there's no doubt in my mind it will bite us in the ass by the end of the year.
Book probably won’t be back until next week from what I’ve read. He’s as competitive as they come. We’re not load managing him, he’s genuinely not healthy after rolling his ankle at the end of the GS game.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Starting to see why some of these guys (Eric Gordon, ahem) weren't exactly in high demand this offseason. I haven't exactly been wowed by the coaching so far either.

I've been somewhat indifferent considering our depth, developing chemistry, and considering Book/Beal are out...but there are just somethings that have me scratching my head.

With all our depth, why are we playing Little and not Metu or KBD. Is this because he make the most, $6M, and the suns feel obligated to play him? Or are they showcasing him?

KD's minutes, i'm not liking the stretches of playing 12 minutes straight. He's been hovering around 37min/game and this is the trend.
Q1 - 12 min
Q2 - 5 min
Q3 - 12 min
Q4 - 8 min

And then Nurk, fouls or not, are we just going to go small at the end of games?

Then last night was just amateur in not advancing the ball. Vogel saying the refs fouled KD, cmon, come on out say you F'd up. Inexcusable.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

We are a whopping 4 games into a season with an entirely new roster and coaching staff. Maybe give it a little time before you allow it to break you? Just offering some hopefully helpful post-emotional game letdown context . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I turned it off at halftime, saying, "If the Suns blow this, I don't want to see it." Even so, I was shocked to see the final score this morning.
There was no reason to lose that game other than lackadaisical play and lack of recognition that if you’re lazy that team of young hungry talented kids will take it to you. It was definitely a bit of basketball arrogance.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Was it a foul on Durant replayed multiple times on TV with physical scratches or do you just willfully disbelieve all of that?
1) always foul up three

2) call timeout to advance

Vogel went full Monty at the end
Vogel just went Vogel. It was his call and he didn't make it. Entire blame goes to Vogel.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Spurs got hot and then abused Nurkic down the stretch. Nurkic was playing Ayton defense and even fumbled a pass at the end. At least he made a 3.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Should have been a foul, but KD himself admitted he screwed up with his ball security. Learn from it and move on. KD won't make that mistake again. (And hopefully, neither will Vogel)

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Should have been a foul, but KD himself admitted he screwed up with his ball security. Learn from it and move on. KD won't make that mistake again. (And hopefully, neither will Vogel)
Word - KD should have thrown some Barkley elbows as soon as they surrounded him - which never should've happened - but Vogel just assumed Spurs were harmless

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This was a rough night.

I'm getting better about switching to other things after a game to numb the pain.

The teams I follow have been good teachers.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Word - KD should have thrown some Barkley elbows as soon as they surrounded him - which never should've happened - but Vogel just assumed Spurs were harmless
He could have called a timeout himself. But I am sure he wanted to draw a foul.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I was at a rainbow gathering in 99 - took place in the Allegheny Forest, Pennsylvania - we're talking thousands of hippies

Walking the trail one day when I see a ruckus ahead

The ruckus was a rattlesnake (I did not know they had rattlers there) and everybody was so excited

Anyways - a super level 5 hippie starts doing traffic control - keeping everyone moving and away from the snake so I decided to help with that mission

But then he went all wildlife channel and decided relocating the reptile was the best course - I disagreed and left as he was trying to grab it behind it's head

Saw that super hippie again 2 years later and he was missing 2 fingers - true story