Suns TV announcers

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It got to the point last year where I muted the TV sound while watching Suns games and listened to Al McCoy doing the radio play-by-play in the background. Of course, that meant having to hear Tim Kempton do color.

It was still better than listening to the runt of the Albert broadcasting litter, Steve, bring his self-deprecating New Yawk humor to the Valley. He just wasn't playing to his audience. And, boy, was it annoying to watch the TV feed with its 5-second delay while listening to the next play on radio.

So this season, I decided to give Steve Albert (and the ever-boring Eddie Johnson) a try again. Someone must have had a heart-to-heart talk with Albert. I heard only one attempt at New Yawk humor -- about waiting for someone else to pick up the check at dinner -- the entire game.

And, to my surprise, Albert actually had a clue as to what was going on down on the court while it was happening.

So he went from a straight "F" to a "C-minus" in my opinion. Hopefully he won't sink back into the rut of imitating a Catskill comedian while announcing an NBA game and will continue to concentrate on every play on the court.

Keep up the mediocre work, Steve. It's an improvement. And we're stuck with him anyway. And it such a pain in the a$$ to listen to the radio play-by-play and watch it happen five seconds later as the next play is being announced.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought Albert was awful during the Blazers broadcast. Shook my head a couple times after he fumbled his words. Surprisingly, he didn't bother me as much last year.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Could we just not talk about Albert in here... I watched and listened to the whole game without registering anything he said but, last year, the more he was talked about the more he penetrated my consciousness. Its a wonderful gift to be able to tune him out, so don't spoil it for me. Please, please...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could we just not talk about Albert in here... I watched and listened to the whole game without registering anything he said but, last year, the more he was talked about the more he penetrated my consciousness. Its a wonderful gift to be able to tune him out, so don't spoil it for me. Please, please...

Albert who?;)

Steve

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
You don't like Eddie Johnson? I love listening to Eddie. Did you hear him tell the story about wearing a Mask and walking down his street as a kid? Classic stuff.

I generally agree about Steve Albert... I purposefully didn't get "NBA Ticket" this season because I was sick of listening to him. However, the game was free and I didn't even notice him talking.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You don't like Eddie Johnson? I love listening to Eddie. Did you hear him tell the story about wearing a Mask and walking down his street as a kid? Classic stuff.

I generally agree about Steve Albert... I purposefully didn't get "NBA Ticket" this season because I was sick of listening to him. However, the game was free and I didn't even notice him talking.
I do like EJ. But he spends a lot of time doing what Tim McCarver used to do as baseball color analyst. He lectures.

Pointing out a ballplayer's mistake on a play is fine, but the lecturing wears on you. Even McCarver toned it down.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is when you know you have reached a higher level of consciousness. ;)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I get the NBA League Pass but I almost always listen to the announcers from the other team. That way I can get a little balance between the homerism of the announcers and my own pro-Suns bias. Having listened to each announcing crew many times I'd have to say our guys rate near the bottom. Fortunately, I've learned through the years to tune most of them out most of the time.

Steve

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I get the NBA League Pass but I almost always listen to the announcers from the other team. That way I can get a little balance between the homerism of the announcers and my own pro-Suns bias. Having listened to each announcing crew many times I'd have to say our guys rate near the bottom. Fortunately, I've learned through the years to tune most of them out most of the time.

Steve

The Blazers announcers maybe grate on me the most of any of them. Talk about homers! D'oh!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Blazers announcers maybe grate on me the most of any of them. Talk about homers! D'oh!

I have yet to hear a set of local announcers that weren't homers. Some, like Eddie for example, try to view with a critical eye but when the chips are down they revert to full on homers. I don't really mind it as long as they'll back off when the truth is staring them in the eye.

Steve

Superbone

Reaction score
I have yet to hear a set of local announcers that weren't homers. Some, like Eddie for example, try to view with a critical eye but when the chips are down they revert to full on homers. I don't really mind it as long as they'll back off when the truth is staring them in the eye.

Steve

My point was that some announcing teams are much, much worse than others on the homer front. The Clippers announcing team (Ralph Lawler and Mike Smith) on the other hand I rather enjoy and there are other such examples.

Tommy Heinson is one of the worst homers to ever exist. I had a game DVRed back in the day when the Suns played at the Celtics and Amare knocked out a couple of Pierce's teeth and the Suns went on to win the game. I kept that sucker on my DVR for a long time because I got such a hoot out of the way Heinson was throwing fits on the air as our beloved Suns were dismantling his Celtics.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point was that some announcing teams are much, much worse than others on the homer front. The Clippers announcing team (Ralph Lawler and Mike Smith) on the other hand I rather enjoy and there are other such examples.

Tommy Heinson is one of the worst homers to ever exist. I had a game DVRed back in the day when the Suns played at the Celtics and Amare knocked out a couple of Pierce's teeth and the Suns went on to win the game. I kept that sucker on my DVR for a long time because I got such a hoot out of the way Heinson was throwing fits on the air as our beloved Suns were dismantling his Celtics.

Heinson is clearly at the top of the homer list.

Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
2014 Update

It is 2 1/2 games into the season and I am back to muting the TV audio (which I play through my stereo system) and listening to Al McCoy's play-by-play on radio.

For three reasons:

1) On too many plays, Steve Albert doesn't have a clue what is going on or who the visiting players are.

2) His asinine stories while play is going on.

3) The TV lag is less than a second. When I go over to my computer, I don't miss any of the action and have a second to look over to the TV screen.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is 2 1/2 games into the season and I am back to muting the TV audio (which I play through my stereo system) and listening to Al McCoy's play-by-play on radio.

For three reasons:

1) On too many plays, Steve Albert doesn't have a clue what is going on or who the visiting players are.

2) His asinine stories while play is going on.

3) The TV lag is less than a second. When I go over to my computer, I don't miss any of the action and have a second to look over to the TV screen.

Albert is worse than ever..if that is even possible.
He is just ridiculously slow at catching up with what's happening on the course. His commenting is atrocious.He gets like 30% of the calls wrong and his stories makes me wanna mute the TV too.
Are the fans the only one that notices this? I could have sworn there are times Anne and Eddie pause after one of his comments..like they don't wanna laugh.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Albert is worse than ever..if that is even possible.
He is just ridiculously slow at catching up with what's happening on the course. His commenting is atrocious.He gets like 30% of the calls wrong and his stories makes me wanna mute the TV too.
Are the fans the only one that notices this? I could have sworn there are times Anne and Eddie pause after one of his comments..like they don't wanna laugh.
Eddie started correcting Albert last season, but without making an issue of it. He has shown good self control.

What irks me is when EJ makes a comment, which is his job, instead of moving on/acknowledging/agreeing, Albert waits a few seconds, then makes the same comment but in different words. As if it were his idea.

I'm just waiting for Eddie to one day say, "I just said that, Steve."

If it were Tom Chambers doing color during the game (hopefully not), he would shout it at him and tell him to stop repeating.

When they bring EJ in for a couple of minutes to join Leander and Chambers on pre-game, TC has been talking over EJ, raising his voice as he talks. Once again, EJ is cool and waits until Chambers is talked out.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not a fan of Albert and I understand a lot of the critism lobbed his way but I think he's an upgrade over Tom Leander. I could not stand listening to Leander, he was a total homer which isn't good for the play by play guy and tried way to hard to come up with a catch phrase, he had a few that he recycled every so often hoping they'd catch on like "Shazzam" with McCoy but it never happened. I don't understand how McCoy could broadcast all the Suns games for radio but not be their "voice" on TV. He is in the Ring of Honor for the team but is relegated to radio? With today's NBA world and League Pass you'd think teams would want to put a solid announcing team out there since it's no longer just their fans that hear them but the Suns have had a terrible play by play guy in place since McCoy was taken off TV and their color guys haven't been the best either although I don't mind them that much but that is probably in comparison to the terrible partner they are saddled with so they sound much better then they are.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't understand how McCoy could broadcast all the Suns games for radio but not be their "voice" on TV.

I would guess it's because McCoy isn't exactly photogenic. There's probably some Fox Sports front office guy who is figuring looks into the equation.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would guess it's because McCoy isn't exactly photogenic. There's probably some Fox Sports front office guy who is figuring looks into the equation.

Steve is one awkward looking dude when the camera is on him. McCoy is old, but he isn't hideous, he looks like a model compared to Harry Caray or any number of guys I see calling football games.

Back when the Suns split their home and road TV contract between UPN and FoxAZ we had Al calling all our road games on TV for UPN and Gary Bender calling our home games. That was a sweet setup.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Steve is one awkward looking dude when the camera is on him. McCoy is old, but he isn't hideous, he looks like a model compared to Harry Caray or any number of guys I see calling football games.

I'm not saying I agree with the reasoning; just trying to guess what it is.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
I don't understand how McCoy could broadcast all the Suns games for radio but not be their "voice" on TV.

McCoy has not called a Suns game on TV since 2003, when the Suns stopped doing a TV/radio simulcast.

He prefers radio over tv.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Also consider that Al is an extremely good play-by-play (radio) announcer. He paints a picture and provides good information throughout the game.

When he did simulcast, he had to do radio play-by-play and it really kept us up-to-date on the action.

Image Steve Albert trying to do radio play-by-play. "The ball was blocked by . . . a Laker. What's that? Oh, it was a foul on . . . I'll have to check on that." :D

Once upon a time when Al did just radio, his favorite saying was "Looks good . . . is good." When he started doing simulcasts, we could see that he waited until the ball went in to predict, "Looks good . . . is good." To his credit, Al stopped that routine on TV. That was a long time ago.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am not a fan of Albert and I understand a lot of the critism lobbed his way but I think he's an upgrade over Tom Leander. I could not stand listening to Leander, he was a total homer which isn't good for the play by play guy and tried way to hard to come up with a catch phrase, he had a few that he recycled every so often hoping they'd catch on like "Shazzam" with McCoy but it never happened. I don't understand how McCoy could broadcast all the Suns games for radio but not be their "voice" on TV. He is in the Ring of Honor for the team but is relegated to radio? With today's NBA world and League Pass you'd think teams would want to put a solid announcing team out there since it's no longer just their fans that hear them but the Suns have had a terrible play by play guy in place since McCoy was taken off TV and their color guys haven't been the best either although I don't mind them that much but that is probably in comparison to the terrible partner they are saddled with so they sound much better then they are.

Tom Leander is terrible (as play by play and pre/post game show)! You have it absolutely correct on him. "Elevates and detonates" indeed...

Superbone

Reaction score
Tom Leander is terrible (as play by play and pre/post game show)! You have it absolutely correct on him. "Elevates and detonates" indeed...

I think he does fine as a pre/postgame show host.