Suns TV announcers

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
This takes the cake!

Un-freaking-believable. During the second half of the Suns blowing out the 76ers, Steve Albert was talking about how Bledsoe was driving to the basket.

I guess he meant to say he circumvented his way. Instead he said, he circumcised his way.

Now that was a real cutup. What a doofus. :D

Errntknght

Reaction score
you're both right. Bender retired from broadcasting and took a consultant job with the Kansas Alumni Association.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Mute the game and listen to Al McCoy.

He reminds me of Vin Scully. Both are great at what they do.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Albert was wondering why Ennis didn't play in garbage time.

Well, for one thing, he was inactive for the game.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Seriously though, is it that hard to find a better announcer than Steve Albert?

Are there really no better announcers for the Suns to hire from other than him?

Sometimes I wonder if its because the Suns management doesn't know how bad he is because they probably watch all the games live in person at the game and don't have to listen to him.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I dont care much for Steve Albert with all his mistakes thru out the game. At one point during the Sixers he said Alex Goodwyn instead of Archie until Annie corrected him.

I think I'd rather listen to Tom "Tissue Soft" Leander over Albert for the fact he's knowledgable of the players and let the color man / woman bring the expertise stand points.

One person who I pray isnt someday in the running for Suns announcer is Tim "Bullzeye" Healey. I fricken cant stand his catch phrases and his voice grates on my last nerve.:thumbdown

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mute the game and listen to Al McCoy.

He reminds me of Vin Scully. Both are great at what they do.

I can't find an internet feed to listen to Al McCoy on the radio. I've looked repeatedly over the years. Maybe it's out there and if so can someone kindly provide a proven link.

Please bring back Tom Leander to do play-by-play. He is a nice person and gets the game right.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Albert drives me crazy when he gets calls wrong and then blames it on the refs. He does this all the time. Early in the game in Boston, Dragic had the ball near the sidelines and Plumlee set an illegal pick, foul called. Albert says, "Dragic steps out of bounds, Celtics ball." Then, a few seconds later he says, "Now they're saying it's a foul on Plumlee." as if they just changed the call.

It's as if he guesses at the calls half the time. I could see it plain as day from home. This guy is at the game and I'm sure he also has a monitor showing what we see on TV. Drives me crazy.

That particular play stood out to me too.

I'm guessing the Suns don't want to buy out his contract so they're going to let him finish it out. They can't be happy with him as an announcer. He's pretty terrible. I liked Leander better, and that's saying something.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That particular play stood out to me too.

I'm guessing the Suns don't want to buy out his contract so they're going to let him finish it out
. They can't be happy with him as an announcer. He's pretty terrible. I liked Leander better, and that's saying something.

Do you know how much it is? I think we should get all Suns fans to donate some money so that we can get him off the Suns broadcast team.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Do you know how much it is? I think we should get all Suns fans to donate some money so that we can get him off the Suns broadcast team.
Maybe EJ and Annie will kick in some money. :)

Eddie has let the fans know, in a low key way, that he doesn't take Steve Albert seriously. Annie is very diplomatic (probably because of her personality and title as V.P. of the Suns and Mercury) and just corrects him.

I posted some time ago that I wonder if EJ or Annie has ever had a serious conversation with Albert about his getting the last word and repeating what they say, every single time.

Their job is doing color commentary. His job is calling the play-by-play. Not repeating what his color commentator says in slightly different words as though it were his idea.

Didja ever notice how Albert's head leans toward EJ or Annie when they are on-screen? If he can't hold his head up straight, perhaps he should go on a medical LOA (until the end of his contract). :)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back on the subject of why the simulcasts stopped. Taking an educated guess, I suspect that when Al called our road games for TV and radio that KTAR and KUTP (channel 45) were owned by the same media group or had some sort of partnership. When Fox bought all the local TV rights then that went out the window. Now that KTAR is affiliated with ESPN and Fox is obviously Fox it obviously couldn't happen now.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I believe it is good that simulcasts stopped. Radio play-by-play requires, of course, painting a picture as well as calling the action. TV, just calling the action.

With the exception of Steve Albert, who often doesn't have a clue what is going on down on the court.

Now that Annie is reading some of the promos, Albert has a new shtick. He evaluates her performance on the air.

I hope Annie tells him, behind the scenes, "Hey, sport, I'm a V.P. of the Suns and Mercury. You call the play-by-play. Concentrate on your job and don't try to pull rank on me."

Superbone

Reaction score
Albert was doing his very best tonight to jinx Thomas's FT streak. Luckily, no dice.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Albert is pretty awful. It's sad that I was excited to have him over Leander (which doesn't say much for Tom), but Albert drives me up the wall. Given the choice though, I'll take Albert over Leander all day everyday. I don't care how well Leander prepared, I just can't stand his voice, corny catchphrases and overly homerish behavior. He's a total fanboy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Albert is pretty awful. It's sad that I was excited to have him over Leander (which doesn't say much for Tom), but Albert drives me up the wall. Given the choice though, I'll take Albert over Leander all day everyday. I don't care how well Leander prepared, I just can't stand his voice, corny catchphrases and overly homerish behavior. He's a total fanboy.

But he talks about the game. He doesn't go on for 10 minutes about what color shoes were worn by the great grandmother of a long retired Knicks player. I'll take basketball over stupid, unrelated, trivial stories any day of the week. Albert is the worst play by play announcer I've ever come across. He should be paired with George Raveling to complete the set. I didn't like Albert before but now that he's added rambling to his list of announcer traits, I really despise him.

Steve

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
But he talks about the game. He doesn't go on for 10 minutes about what color shoes were worn by the great grandmother of a long retired Knicks player. I'll take basketball over stupid, unrelated, trivial stories any day of the week. Albert is the worst play by play announcer I've ever come across. He should be paired with George Raveling to complete the set. I didn't like Albert before but now that he's added rambling to his list of announcer traits, I really despise him.

Steve

I don't disagree with you about anything you said outside of your preference for Leander. Every announcer has their quirk that rubs the wrong way. Albert has a slew of them. He says "pulled the string" on at least one shot every game that comes up short. I can't stand his boxing references and you can add every complaint from everyone else to the list. Bottom line for me is that Leander is not a play by play guy. He's much more tolerable sitting with TC during pre/post game.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Happily, I'm getting back to where I tune Albert out mentally. I was so ticked when all you guys started talking about him because up until then his verbiage flowed right on by but then I started to hear him. His most egregious mistakes still jar their way through to my consciousness but its only a couple of times a game.

You'd think that the FO people around the league would be enough of fraternity for our guys to get the message that Albert is an embarrassment to the team, the game and the league.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Thank you, Leander was the worst!! Albert is average. Watch some other teams broadcasts, most of them are worse.

At least Albert is not a total homer. Leander is a clown and a homer.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I have never heard Steve Albert say "a 3-point shot". It is "from downtown" every time. Of course, we know that Marv did the same.

I'd be curious to know if Marv got it from Steve or if Steve mimics Marv. I would bet on the latter.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Leander was the worst!! Albert is average. Watch some other teams broadcasts, most of them are worse.

At least Albert is not a total homer. Leander is a clown and a homer.

If Albert is average you either don't watch many games or you don't value the same things in an announcer that I do. The average announcer doesn't miss a third of the action. He routinely mis-identifies players and misinterprets the action in a way I've never heard from any other announcer. Ever. He has a better voice than many of the announcers but if accuracy is in any way important, he is the worst in the league.

Steve

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If Albert is average you either don't watch many games or you don't value the same things in an announcer that I do. The average announcer doesn't miss a third of the action. He routinely mis-identifies players and misinterprets the action in a way I've never heard from any other announcer. Ever. He has a better voice than many of the announcers but if accuracy is in any way important, he is the worst in the league.

Steve
Plus his 1960's New Yawk personality doesn't fit in the Valley at all.

Especially the way he flaunts it, as though it were something to be proud of outside of the New York /Boston / Philadelphia / Washington / Chicago corridors.

Have I offended anyone with that comment? :)

Until I left New Jersey for Phoenix 36 years ago, I was surrounded by the Steve Alberts of the world and couldn't wait to come to the good ol' generic Southwest.

Superbone

Reaction score
Plus his 1960's New Yawk personality doesn't fit in the Valley at all.

Especially the way he flaunts it, as though it were something to be proud of outside of the New York /Boston / Philadelphia / Washington / Chicago corridors.

Have I offended anyone with that comment? :)

Until I left New Jersey for Phoenix 36 years ago, I was surrounded by the Steve Alberts of the world and couldn't wait to come to the good ol' generic Southwest.

I think you offended me with that last sentence. What's so generic about the Southwest?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you offended me with that last sentence. What's so generic about the Southwest?

I read it the same way, he was definitely talking about you. Maybe you could try to be a bit less generic? A yellow beret, two-tone penny loafers and a huge Phineas and Ferb tattoo on your right arm should do it.:)

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think I would be able to tolerate Albert's "humor" and stories if he were able to actually call the game properly. If he would follow the action, and get 75% of calls right, I'd be fine listening to him, but it really sounds as if though he simply doesn't pay much attention to the game.

Superbone

Reaction score
I read it the same way, he was definitely talking about you. Maybe you could try to be a bit less generic? A yellow beret, two-tone penny loafers and a huge Phineas and Ferb tattoo on your right arm should do it.:)

Steve

:lol: