Suns lose again

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I ran the simulator ten times.

It came out as follows: 5,6,6,6,2,2,6,6,3,2.

Maybe we should start evaluating players around the 6th slot. Hope we get lucky but can't count on it.
That's why I started a thread about picking 6th. It's easy for a GM to pick first. What do you do at 6? The thread degenerated into picking at one or two.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I started a thread about picking 6th. It's easy for a GM to pick first. What do you do at 6? The thread degenerated into picking at one or two.

Better pump that thread up with some air. What was it titled?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just ran it a second time, and the Suns came up #1. Maybe they should send me to the lottery...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Better pump that thread up with some air. What was it titled?

I believe it's this thread, @Yuma started it, titled "Assuming the ping pong balls treat us as normal" and the first post by him is talking about who would we pick and what would we do if we don't get a top pick. Like most draft threads though it was taken over with talk of how badly we need to land in the top 3, top 2 ideally but top 3 to add a pretty good player.

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/f...he-ping-pong-balls-treat-us-as-normal.301981/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it's this thread, @Yuma started it, titled "Assuming the ping pong balls treat us as normal" and the first post by him is talking about who would we pick and what would we do if we don't get a top pick. Like most draft threads though it was taken over with talk of how badly we need to land in the top 3, top 2 ideally but top 3 to add a pretty good player.

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/f...he-ping-pong-balls-treat-us-as-normal.301981/

I bet changing the title to something like "who do we draft at #6" would do wonders for it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 might be almost as good as one in this draft. Ja is the real deal.

I think landing at #2 would be a good outcome especially with my luck running the simulator.

Landing in the top three should be good though. Barrett should have good trade value if the Suns land at #3.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns land at #3, I would give up the Bucks pick if necessary to get to #2.

In some mocks I've seen Barrett going #2 anyway.
Yeah. Atlanta, Cleveland, NY, New Orleans, and maybe even the Lakers might take Barrett over Ja. But they might also trade down to a team that wants Ja. I think if we get #3-5 we might consider trying to trade up to #2.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
here's the BIG problem
everyone knows the Suns will covet Morant because of our pg vacancy
we'll be at the mercy of the team that picks 2nd until seconds before on draft day

having a savvy, experienced GM would be vital

we're up for many weeks of woe if we don't get the 1st or 2nd slot

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What team other than the Suns are guaranteed to take Morant over Barrett at #2? Cleveland has Sexton and Atlanta has Young so the odds of them going for Morant are probably the lowest. Washington is paying John Wall a boatload over the next 4-5 years so they would be foolish to draft a PG since Wall is virtually untradable.

New York is rumored to make a run at Kemba but they always strike out so I doubt they change their draft plans based on a possible free agent acquisition. New Orleans has Holiday and Memphis has Conley but either of them might go after Morant because they are rebuilding and they can trade their current PG. Chicago could go either way.

So I'd say Atlanta, Cleveland, and Washington are the teams we should be fine with drafting ahead of us. New York, Memphis, and New Orleans aren't teams we want ahead of us but it may still work out. Chicago is the only team I really don't want ahead of us because I think they're most likely to go after Morant but they're not a lock.

Minnesota, LA, Charlotte, Miami, and Boston all have very low odds of moving up. Maybe Miami goes for Morant but Minnesota has Teague and Tyus Jones under contract. Charlotte will try to resign Kemba and drafting Morant basically pushes him out. The Lakers and Celtics would probably be more likely to trade their pick if they move up rather than keep it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I say if we land at 5, 6 or 7, take DeAndre Hunter (who can play a Thaddeus Young type role), then trade Warren, Johnson and a future pick for a point guard, and spend the free agent money on a bigger power forward, like a Randle or Mirotic.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
2 might be almost as good as one in this draft. Ja is the real deal.

I had some hawt takes on Ja’ early on but his defense has a lot of potential. If he’s willing to favor playmaking over scoring he would have enough energy to compete on D. He could also be the primary scorer when Book is sitting or injured.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I had some hawt takes on Ja’ early on but his defense has a lot of potential. If he’s willing to favor playmaking over scoring he would have enough energy to compete on D. He could also be the primary scorer when Book is sitting or injured.
And by all accounts from people close to him, Ja prefers playmaking over scoring himself. He has a true pg mentality. But he can score if necessary.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Atlanta, Cleveland, NY, New Orleans, and maybe even the Lakers might take Barrett over Ja. But they might also trade down to a team that wants Ja. I think if we get #3-5 we might consider trying to trade up to #2.

We agree the Suns should try to trade up to #2 if they land further down. I guess a lot depends on who the trade partner and the cost to move up.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
even teams happy with their pg might go with Morant at #2 under the "best player available" premise
OR just pretend that's what they'll do to bait the Suns

like i said, it's likely to be a rough ride on draft day

or, perhaps make a move now for more ping-pong balls in an otherwise weak draft?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kind of seems unfair now the way the new lottery systems works, especially for the top 3 lottery teams.

6-4-3-6-1-6 when I ran it.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We agree the Suns should try to trade up to #2 if they land further down. I guess a lot depends on who the trade partner and the cost to move up.
I am more convinced of Ja every day. If we get any pick other than #1 I think we should go all out for Ja. That would include trading future picks or players on the roster outside of Booker and Ayton. I believe that Morant will not only be a star pg, he has the opportunity to be a superstar pg. And his defense is underrated.

It will be much easier to find a functional PF in free agency.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I am more convinced of Ja every day. If we get any pick other than #1 I think we should go all out for Ja. That would include trading future picks or players on the roster outside of Booker and Ayton.

I'd be down for what the Mavs essentially did for Doncic last year. Trade the Suns pick this year plus a top 5 lottery protected first plus maybe TJ to move up and get Ja. The Suns do need multiple rotation players, but Ja has a chance to be a part of the next wave of really good PGs in the NBA once the Currys of the NBA start to slow down.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am more convinced of Ja every day. If we get any pick other than #1 I think we should go all out for Ja. That would include trading future picks or players on the roster outside of Booker and Ayton.

I like Morant but I guess the question is how far do you go to get him if the Suns land outside of #2.

Another team might want the Suns pick this season and next season. Maybe even the Bucks pick as well. That's pretty steep.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Morant but I guess the question is how far do you go to get him if the Suns land outside of #2.

Another team might want the Suns pick this season and next season. Maybe even the Bucks pick as well. That's pretty steep.
I would give it to them with some protection.

#4-6 for #2 plus 2020 top three protected, plus the Bucks pick. No brainer in my mind. It will be much easier to make the trade with the #3-4 pick than with the #5-7 of course.

For the Suns team, Ja might make more of an impact early than Zion. Its just about the position. I would still draft Zion #1.