Suns @ Grizzlies Sunday game thread 1-26-20

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

Suns looked out of sync today, timing was off. It wasn't just Ayton.

Mainstreet likes this.
  2. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Seeing as he just had a daughter I could see it having an affect on him. He’s also probably coming back down to earth since averaging career highs in points and assists.

3. offset

offset i have a special purpose

Oubre is who he is. There is a reason that Washington was willing to let him go last year. With that being said, Oubre’s value extends off the court. I could argue that he is the most important Suns player in the locker room and has been integral in changing the culture and enjoyment of the game for his teammates.

Hoop Head, Absolute Zero and WildBB like this.
  4. Sunstroke

Sunstroke Registered

Tough loss on an absolute heart breaking day for the Sports World.
    Suns played hard, competitive for 4 quarters just like the 'Mamba'
    did every day of his 20 year career. I thought Ayton played very well
    tho' his stat line might not tell the whole story.

Thoughts and prayers to the Bryant family.

5. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

I hear ya. Did you seen everyone run to him when he went down out of bounds?
    Ayton even ran over from the sideline.

Mainstreet likes this.
  6. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

7. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

I was hoping that Mark Bryant would finally give the Suns a knowledgeable big-man coach.
    We went without one for quite a while.

Perhaps Ayton does not look comfortable because he is not comfortable.

None of us have any way of knowing what his emotions are.

Specifically, none of us have any way of knowing if Ayton just does not have it in his
    inherent basketball personality to not shy away from big-man contact in the post.

He may or may not. All we as fans can see is that, so far, he is not a contact Center.
    6'11-250 and he plays offense like Alvan Adams at 212 lbs.

Contact requires aggressiveness. As I theorized some time ago, perhaps his early
    upbringing in the laid back Bahamas established the tendency to not have it.

Especially in contact, it doesn't matter if you are good or bad. Just that you are
    stronger than your opponent. It sure looks like he should be.

8. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

you and I watched two different games. I saw Ayton repeatedly get clowned by morant and jjj down the stretch in crunch time. Saw him get his shot under the basket blocked by an unathletic euro. Saw him fumble and bumble the ball repeatedly and lose a crucial ball in the crunch. Saw him loafing up and down the court on both offense and defense. Saw him clang shot after shot on the way to 37% shooting from the field and 60% from the FT line. Saw him cause a turnover with 2 mins left when he inexplicably stopped rolling to the hoop and I think book sent a pass that should’ve lead to a layup, dunk or FTs but for Ayton just stopping in no man’s land. I mean he ended up with 17 and 15 but they were meaningless stats.

BC867 likes this.
  9. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Which makes him a perfect candidate to come off the bench, since he would be the primary scoring option there.

10. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Today was well beyond that. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, he played like a zombie today.

11. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

Yeah. The offensive regression is unquestionable. Last year he had a TS% that was among the best in the league, right now it is lousy, especially for a big man.

His progression on defense has made him, overall, a better player. We are far better when he is in the game, but if he is going to become a star he needs to put it together on both ends.

12. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

I think he is struggling with the offensive philosophy. Monty wants the players to choose and action and go within ".5" seconds of getting the ball. I like the idea, it is working in some areas, not others. Ayton, IMO, is rushing things because of it.

He gets the ball in the high post and, instead of surveying the situation and maybe doing something that leads him deeper into the post, he is immediately either trying to pass back out or rushing a weak jumper, often without even gathering properly to shoot it, he kinda flings the ball at the hoop.

Dingding likes this.
  13. Carolinacacti

Carolinacacti Registered

Rubio vs Ja........... game over

14. Hoop Head

Hoop Head ASFN Contributor Contributor

He has 15 games played this season. 1 good or bad game will change his stats more than anyone else on the team because it's still such a small sample size. I'll give you the FG% because that isn't something that should change game to game like PPG or FTA per game but it's too early to fault him for his averages going up or down compared to last year. Also your acting like he's shooting bad from the field. He's still shooting 53% from the field, which is higher than Jokic or Embiid (50.7 for Jokic and 47.2 for Embiid).

I'm not one to make excuses for Ayton. I'm normally agreeing with you on your takes but I think you're being needlessly critical in this instance. If you want to say he had a bad game, I won't disagree but he has been an efficient scorer and is not regressing at any rate that should be troubling.

15. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Washington let Oubre go because they did not want to pay him. Good for Suns, bad for Wizards.