Grizzlies @ Suns Sunday game thread 1-7-2024

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
Start of the 4th, Suns up by 11 pts, then Grizzs go on a 14-1 run and kept piling it on. Grizzlies score 121 when they average only 107 per game.
Grizzlies outscore Suns 35-18 in 4Q
What kind of shyt is this?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
THEY LOST with the big 3?! Nah i cant tske this team seriously now

It was worse than that though. They were ran off the floor and embarrassed in the 4th quarter by a team missing it's star. They were outscored almost 2-1 in the 4th by a team whose best scorer was Jaren Jackson Jr. Memphis with Ja is respectable but without him they're 6-20, while they're 6-3 with him. Just an ugly loss among a season of ugly losses against sub 500 teams.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It was worse than that though. They were ran off the floor and embarrassed in the 4th quarter by a team missing it's star. They were outscored almost 2-1 in the 4th by a team whose best scorer was Jaren Jackson Jr. Memphis with Ja is respectable but without him they're 6-20, while they're 6-3 with him. Just an ugly loss among a season of ugly losses against sub 500 teams.
And the thing is we blew the same Ja-less team out in Memphis without Beal

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
They need to admit Vogel was a huge miss and pull the plug on that ASAP. Then see how the team responds to someone else and if that is still a flop, pull the plug on the Durant experiment for whatever you can recover in assets.

There are likely other issues with the roster, but they are currently in a position to only do so much. But if you ride it out to the end of the season with this current mess, you are only wasting time not doing what you are inevitably going to have to starting about the first week in June.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are the worst scoring 4th quarter team in the league. They average just 24.6 points in the 4th, which is more than a point less than the second worst, Miami, who averages 25.9. Miami has always been a slower paced team so that's really no surprise they don't score a lot but we were supposed to have a historic offense. There's no excuse for that sort of consistently awful play down the stretch.

Edit - my mistake, Portland is second worst at 25.8. We all know Portland blew it up and are tanking though so no surprise. They're still a full point better than us.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
* Big Three all play at least 35 minutes each
* Nurkic goes for 18 and 19
* Only 12 turnovers
* Still lose at home to one of the worst teams in the league

Time to pull the plug. This team is going nowhere and it's only downhill from here.
Yeah, this team is one and done (if they make the playoffs), i thought James Jones learned his lesson about playing w/o a PG.

This team is not even fun to watch, lot of hot dogging and lazy passes/defense. They act like they are entitled when they walk on the court. And the doof Vogel standing over there clapping his hands:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/ctXgY5wQbzhHyShCnF" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
">via GIPHY</a></p>

Last edited:

1982baskets

Veteran
Reaction score
The 4th quarter offense has been a problem all season. Blown leads, not being able to game manage. This is all due to not having a real closer. Vogel's last team had Lebron James. This team is trying to make Booker or Beal become something they aren't.

Started Allen, Nurk with the big 3. That worked in Q1 and 3. But then benches come into play - our bench was Metu, Okogie... these guys aren't making a lot of shots. No Gordon = no bench scoring.

The best move we can make is to find a PG. After that, a wing that can defend and make 3s. Somehow we need to find those pieces without giving up any of our top 6 players. When I see floor balance, we can start to complain about the coach. This team lacks basics a team needs to win consistently in the league. They are what they are, a .500sh type of team.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Yeah, this team is one and done (if they make the playoffs), i thought James Jones learned his lesson about playing w/o a PG.

This team is not even fun to watch, lot of hot dogging and lazy passes/defense. They act like they are entitled when they walk on the court. And the doof Vogel standing over there clapping his hands:

Agree, of course wining it all would be fun, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

When you have a young team, Amare, Marion, or Ayton, Bridges games are fun to watch. Even when losing you have young, passionate underdogs trying to improve and make their mark. It is a lot more fun than watching injury reports and 3 max, cap crippling players lose to the Grizzlies.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
The 4th quarter offense has been a problem all season. Blown leads, not being able to game manage. This is all due to not having a real closer. Vogel's last team had Lebron James. This team is trying to make Booker or Beal become something they aren't.

Started Allen, Nurk with the big 3. That worked in Q1 and 3. But then benches come into play - our bench was Metu, Okogie... these guys aren't making a lot of shots. No Gordon = no bench scoring.

The best move we can make is to find a PG. After that, a wing that can defend and make 3s. Somehow we need to find those pieces without giving up any of our top 6 players. When I see floor balance, we can start to complain about the coach. This team lacks basics a team needs to win consistently in the league. They are what they are, a .500sh type of team.
Good point.

We needed a PG instead of Beal and a dynamic PF/C instead of KD.

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
My final thought on last night's game:
4th Q folded like a cheap suit ( getting to be a normal occurrence )

You must be registered for see images attach

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jeebus the start of the 4th was brutal. Weird lineup to start that quarter. Killed us and we have yet to recover.

I'm still baffled by the group that started and for how long they were left in. I think Book and Beal finally came back in around the 6:30 mark in the 4th.

You dont play Saben to secure a win, you play Saben after you secured a win. We really needed this because winning is good, but that the big 3 needed something to prove, and we are on a back to back.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am actually surprised the issues tend to wait until the 4th quarter to peak considering we still can't settle on a rotation from starters to the bench. Now factor in we are now 43% into the season and quickly approaching the halfway mark. UGH!

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From Forth Quarter Suns under Monty to the worst forth quarter team in the NBA, smh. Nothing carried over from the Monty era? It could be worst we could have an injured Paul

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From Forth Quarter Suns under Monty to the worst forth quarter team in the NBA, smh. Nothing carried over from the Monty era? It could be worst we could have an injured Paul

Just Book, KD and JO, oh and JJ.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
The complete inability to snag a defensive rebound was my cringe worthy Take-away. Booker got hammered all day without getting many calls. Seemed again like Suns not allowed to play as physical as their opponents. Must be NBAs way of getting Grizz relevant again. Seemed like the fix was in. But Suns did themselves no favors along the way. Shame we didn’t play Okogie more. He was awesome with his steals.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns felt like they didn't need any point guards. This is part of the price they are paying.

With all the changes the Suns made before the trade deadline last season and now, it's hard to identify the problem. It's like a bad science experiment with uncontrolled variables and constants.

A couple of things really stand out. The Suns offense should be much better and their defense has been horrible.

The Suns FO needs to come to the realization change is needed.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker pretty well describes the game. He says the three of them has had enough repetitions.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns would like to play with pace, but that leads to more turnovers.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns would like to play with pace, but that leads to more turnovers.

IMO, the turnovers are partly because our offense is slow and predictable.

I wonder what our turnover rate is adjusted by pace... having one of the highest turnover totals, while also playing slow as hell, is quite the feat.