Grizzlies @ Suns Sunday game thread 1-7-2024

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
This team doesn't have the athleticism to be great defensively. It's not putting up enough 3's to optimize offensive efficiency. Can't do much about the defense, but I'd like to see what the offense looks like under a D'antoni-esque coach.
Or the heart or desire.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the turnovers are partly because our offense is slow and predictable.

I wonder what our turnover rate is adjusted by pace... having one of the highest turnover totals, while also playing slow as hell, is quite the feat.
Yeah his thinking makes no sense, it's not like we've been throwing the ball away because of fast breaks. We let the defense get fully set before trying to initiate our offense, a sure fire way to increase our live ball turnovers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the turnovers are partly because our offense is slow and predictable.

I wonder what our turnover rate is adjusted by pace... having one of the highest turnover totals, while also playing slow as hell, is quite the feat.

I thought the comment made by Vogel was ironic. A slower pace means tougher shots.

Yes, speeding the game up is too their advantage but oops, it appears someone forgot a point guard.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Not happening with this group I'm afraid. And our future looks really bleak if we play out the next two years like this.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Problem with fourth quarters is the game slows down and this offense is not nearly good enough in the halfcourt to overcome bad defense…simple

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem with fourth quarters is the game slows down and this offense is not nearly good enough in the halfcourt to overcome bad defense…simple
Except we're dead last in 4th quarter scoring, the only team in the league averaging fewer than 25 points in the final quarter.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're not the worst at turning it over in the 4th, we're tied for 3rd worst with the Pelicans at 3.8. Utah is the worst and the Pistons are 2nd worst, both at 3.9 but Utah has more total. The Lakers, Clipper, and Wolves are 5th, 6th, and 7th respectively. The Lakers at 3.7 and both Clips and Wolves at 3.6 so turnovers don't necessarily equal losses.

It seems the issue for us is shooting as we're an abysmal 42.6% in the 4th, which 29th in the league and a hair above Portland at 42.4%. Where we really suck is 3pt shooting in the 4th as we're the only team shooting below 30% in the 4th at 29.6. 2nd worst are the Lakers at 31.3 and that's pretty close to 2 percentage points better than us. If I had to point to one stat to cover our 4th quarter woes it would be 3pt shooting. We don't shoot enough and when we do, we miss. How does that happen when 2 of the top 3pt shooters in the league are on our team? Why aren't Allen and KD shooting more 3's in the 4th or are they just missing more in the 4th? I don't know but that is a serious problem.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're not the worst at turning it over in the 4th, we're tied for 3rd worst with the Pelicans at 3.8. Utah is the worst and the Pistons are 2nd worst, both at 3.9 but Utah has more total. The Lakers, Clipper, and Wolves are 5th, 6th, and 7th respectively. The Lakers at 3.7 and both Clips and Wolves at 3.6 so turnovers don't necessarily equal losses.

It seems the issue for us is shooting as we're an abysmal 42.6% in the 4th, which 29th in the league and a hair above Portland at 42.4%. Where we really suck is 3pt shooting in the 4th as we're the only team shooting below 30% in the 4th at 29.6. 2nd worst are the Lakers at 31.3 and that's pretty close to 2 percentage points better than us. If I had to point to one stat to cover our 4th quarter woes it would be 3pt shooting. We don't shoot enough and when we do, we miss. How does that happen when 2 of the top 3pt shooters in the league are on our team? Why aren't Allen and KD shooting more 3's in the 4th or are they just missing more in the 4th? I don't know but that is a serious problem.

Iso ball is why.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iso ball is why.
Iso ball is the go-to for this team. The offense is so basic. Plus, we always have funky rotations going at the end of the 3rd and start of the 4th. I got nothing. They need to figure this out quickly. We are wasting our 3 point shooters on this team in the 4th. Just a bunch of standing around. No movement. The defense just stays at home on our 3 point shooters in crunch time or plays them tighter which isn't hard to do when you play so much ISO with everyone just watching.