RFA Isaiah Thomas visiting Suns

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Either the Suns already have a tentative agreement in place to trade Dragic to Minn or they are potentially stocking up good Guards to trade for a "star" at some point before the trade deadline. No way they can go long with all those guards looking for playing time.

Exactly. If there's a trade in the works, it has to be Dragic. The Suns can't negotiate a trade for Bledsoe unless he and the other team show a specific interest in each other -- and even then, it's a long shot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. If there's a trade in the works, it has to be Dragic. The Suns can't negotiate a trade for Bledsoe unless he and the other team show a specific interest in each other -- and even then, it's a long shot.

Bledsoe and agent may offer the Suns a sign and trade option so he can go where he wants to go. They know the Suns will match.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Bledsoe and agent may offer the Suns a sign and trade option so he can go where he wants to go. They know the Suns will match.

Right, but then the other team would have to have something the Suns really want, by coincidence. Those odds are very long.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, but then the other team would have to have something the Suns really want, by coincidence. Those odds are very long.

So are you saying there is a chance?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that the player that the Suns are looking to trade is Dragic. My guess is the Suns are targeting Love and Thomas is seen as a sufficient substitute for Dragic. He's been mentioned in rumors/trades by three teams. For a player that really should be close to untouchable, I find this highly unusual.

either a Dragic/Thomas or Bledsoe/Thomas backcourt leaves a lot to be desired. Bledsoe/Thomas from a size standpoint and Dragic/Thomas from a defensive standpoint...and size.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Hopefully if he's signed it doesnt mean Dragic's trade bait. Saver told him he'd never trade him after getting Goran back from Houston. We'll see. I'd rather they try to sign and trade Bled in a heart beat than The Dragon.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd have no problem with a Dragic/Thomas backcourt, especially if Thomas could be retained at a reasonable price.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently I'm the only one who doesn't believe signing Thomas means a trade must be in the works for either Bledsoe or Dragic. We knew Ish was gone. All that leaves is a rookie to back them up. I'm not saying they might not look at trading one of them later, but I don't think their interest in Thomas is because they are looking at a trade now.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Apparently I'm the only one who doesn't believe signing Thomas means a trade must be in the works for either Bledsoe or Dragic. We knew Ish was gone. All that leaves is a rookie to back them up. I'm not saying they might not look at trading one of them later, but I don't think their interest in Thomas is because they are looking at a trade now.

But the issue is that both Bledsoe and Thomas would be making $10+ million, and Dragic will be at that level soon. That's a lot of salary to invest in three guys who all play basically the same position.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But the issue is that both Bledsoe and Thomas would be making $10+ million, and Dragic will be at that level soon. That's a lot of salary to invest in three guys who all play basically the same position.

Wow, I do not believe Thomas will get $10+ million a year.Obviously I could be wrong, but I'm thinking more like $6.5 or $8 tops. Yes, they are all three PG, but the plan is to have Dragic spend most of his time at SG. I realize I am nearly alone in this belief so I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The waiting game on Bledsoe raises questions though.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The waiting game on Bledsoe raises questions though.

Not for me. Bledsoe wants the max so as a restricted free agent if the team he's with isn't looking to pay that much, he needs to find a team that will make that offer. With Lebron playing drama king and everyone waiting to make any big offers, he needs to wait on what teams decide to do. Why on earth would he rush into an agreement for less than he's seeking and not wait to see if another team is willing to make the offer he's looking for? The Suns are smart in not giving what he wants because the might get him for less. I don't think there's any hard feelings, this is how it's designed to work. He'll either get the offer he wants and the Suns will match or he won't and the Suns will get him for closer to the price they would ideally like to pay. Either way, he's not going anywhere most likely.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None taken of course. Thomas getting $10+ would be insane to me. But, we've seen crazier contracts.

There's no way your getting a super young 20/6 PG for 6-8 million dollars. He's not going anywhere to be a backup.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's no way your getting a super young 20/6 PG for 6-8 million dollars. He's not going anywhere to be a backup.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "No way" about most anything, but we'll see who's correct. Don't forget he put those numbers up for one season on a horrible team. He's tiny and not a great defender. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. I wouldn't make any bets, but I'll definitely be shocked if he gets $10+ as I would never pay that for him.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think that there could be a number of reasons for Thomas' visit.

1. He is trying to get a bidding war going between LA, PHX & DAL.
2. PHX is looking to deal Bledsoe now that James is out of the picture.
3. PHX could be targeting a PF in a S&T, maybe Monroe who PHX supposedly contacted and DET maybe interested in Bledsoe.

I agree with who said Thomas is not coming here to be a back up, that is why I think scenario #1 is what is happening, a bidding war.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think that there could be a number of reasons for Thomas' visit.

1. He is trying to get a bidding war going between LA, PHX & DAL.
2. PHX is looking to deal Bledsoe now that James is out of the picture.
3. PHX could be targeting a PF in a S&T, maybe Monroe who PHX supposedly contacted and DET maybe interested in Bledsoe.

I agree with who said Thomas is not coming here to be a back up, that is why I think scenario #1 is what is happening, a bidding war.

Could two teams trade their RFAs straight up in a double sign and trade?

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
I would love Thomas on the Suns - I think people's 1st thought is we don't need him now or in the future, but ...

For this year - We do. Ennis and Goodwin should not just be plugged into the rotation w/ no competition. Same goes w/ Len also - I have a feeling the Suns will go after another big guy. Competition is good. Even if you disagree w/ that - Maybe we're trading Gerald Green or Tyler Ennis for another big guy ... Let's judge the roster come October, not right now.

Also, even if we sign him to a long-term deal, it's not like the Suns can't trade him. If he plays well, which is almost a GUARANTEE given the Suns' system and his skill-set, he will probably be a pretty valuable piece next offseason ... The Suns could trade him to get better, keep him and trade Ennis/Goodwin, trade Bledsoe, etc, etc. - There's options, so although there's a logjam at PG now, the Suns could easily change that in the future if needed ...

It seems Thomas is UNDERVALUED right now in the FA market. In the next 1-2 years, what would be easier to trade? Thomas at $6 - $8 million / year or older guys like Deng / Ariza / Gasol at $10 + million ... I think Thomas will be - We have the cap room, he fits our style, why not go after him?

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Suns will just take a shot at getting him on the cheap since SAC, by all accounts, has no plans to match. I'm sure the Suns won't offer him $10M+. However, The Lakers need a PG, so they might.

With Thomas, the Suns would have the ability to trade either a young guard or veteran guard without killing their depth. That gives them lots of flexibility to make any number of trades for front court help.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns will just take a shot at getting him on the cheap since SAC, by all accounts, has no plans to match. I'm sure the Suns won't offer him $10M+. However, The Lakers need a PG, so they might.

With Thomas, the Suns would have the ability to trade either a young guard or veteran guard without killing their depth. That gives them lots of flexibility to make any number of trades for front court help.

the Lakers will likely pay him around 8 or 9 million. Either which is entirely too high for a backup PG.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
the Lakers will likely pay him around 8 or 9 million. Either which is entirely too high for a backup PG.
Unless you got Pops coaching.

(I've just been on his jock so hard after this year's play offs, genius keeps coming to mind)