RFA Isaiah Thomas visiting Suns

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In an ideal world, the former Washington Husky would be a Sixth Man of the Year candidate for the next decade, a coveted and dependable role player valued by every team in the league. But Thomas sees himself through another prism. He envisions himself as a lead guard deserving a starter’s salary, and ultimately, this is why the Kings and their most popular player will part ways.

The Kings were willing to offer $5 million to $6 million per year for four seasons – with the idea of Thomas as a super sub. But they were unwilling to match the $8 million to $9 million he reportedly was seeking and confident he would attract, given the four-year, $32 million contract Avery Bradley agreed to with the Boston Celtics and the three-year, $19.5 million deal Jodie Meeks reached with the Detroit Pistons.

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/05/6536005/ailene-voisin-collison-more-pass.html#storylink=cpy
If the a Suns so badly want a 4th PG then I'd rather have them gone after Patty Mills for $4M/yr than give Thomas more than $6M/yr.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
good lord man it's hard to explain things to you... Kings are in a difficult salary cap situation.

If we get Thomas for the same money Frye got basically that is a steal. He would make our 2nd unit much better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are working a sign and trade with Sacramento to acquire Gay, Thomas, and possible Stauskas or Derrick Williams for Bledsoe and filler. Why? A Bledsoe to Sac sign and trade for Thomas and the #8 pick had already been rumored prior to the draft. Gay has been a player that the Celtics have tried to acquire on multiple occasions while McD was with them. Rumors floated around during last season's trade deadline the Suns were interested trading for Gay or pursuing him if he opted out of his contract this offseason.

Gay gets a bad rap probably because he is overpaid, but he is only turning 28 in August and averages a solid 20/6 per game (which is going to get you max money in the NBA). However, he only has a year left on his contract. He's obviously not a #1 option on a contender, but he would immediately become our best player and significantly upgrade our SF position. The biggest detractor to Gay is that he has the 2nd worst assist to turnover ratios in the league, right behind his teammate DeMarcus Cousins

Thomas, Dragic, Gay, Morris, Plumlee

or

Bedsoe, Dragic, Tucker, Morris, Plumlee

Which line-up do you prefer?

I'm not sure about the trade scenario, but from all reports the Suns were in love with Stauskas.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Could be that the Suns are planning a to use 3 guard lineups instead of a traditional small foward and play Warren and Marcus as small power forwards in our system.

Replacing Barbosa, Christmas and Ish Smith with Tyler Ennis and Isaiah Thomas would be pretty good.

Now the question is who do we replace Channing Frye with? TJ Warren and Greg Monroe? That would be pretty decent too.

If we sign Isaiah Thomas, Greg Monroe and Evan Turner I'll be pretty happy with the offseason.

Monroe/Plumlee/Len
Markieff/Marcus/Warren
Tucker/Turner
Dragic/Green/Goodwin
Bledsoe/Thomas/Ennis

of course it is not that static - we would have some hybrid players with Monroe, Warren, Marcus, Turner, Goodwin, Green, Bledsoe, Dragic..

Last edited:

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think we are working a sign and trade with Sacramento to acquire Gay, Thomas, and possible Stauskas or Derrick Williams for Bledsoe and filler. Why? A Bledsoe to Sac sign and trade for Thomas and the #8 pick had already been rumored prior to the draft. Gay has been a player that the Celtics have tried to acquire on multiple occasions while McD was with them. Rumors floated around during last season's trade deadline the Suns were interested trading for Gay or pursuing him if he opted out of his contract this offseason.

Gay gets a bad rap probably because he is overpaid, but he is only turning 28 in August and averages a solid 20/6 per game (which is going to get you max money in the NBA). However, he only has a year left on his contract. He's obviously not a #1 option on a contender, but he would immediately become our best player and significantly upgrade our SF position. The biggest detractor to Gay is that he has the 2nd worst assist to turnover ratios in the league, right behind his teammate DeMarcus Cousins

Thomas, Dragic, Gay, Morris, Plumlee

or

Bedsoe, Dragic, Tucker, Morris, Plumlee

Which line-up do you prefer?

Please stop. My sides hurt.

The idea of getting Stauskas and Thomas in a trade for Bledsoe is very appealing. Pull this off and call it quits for the offseason.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Could two teams trade their RFAs straight up in a double sign and trade?

Not sure, I was using Monroe as an example as I've read DET will not let him go without getting something in return. Maybe it takes multiple moves or adding a 3rd team as a facilitator. I just think PHX is looking to deal Bledsoe now, I understand why Thomas would be valuable, both Dragic & Bledsoe missed a significant amount of games due to injuries. Had we had both for the whole season, PHX would have definitely made the playoffs. The only thing is as many pointed out having 3 PG's as your Top 3 salaries makes no sense particularly since PHX just drafted a pretty good PG in last month's draft. I could see PHX dealing Ennis but TOR has no one on their roster that would help PHX except DeRozen but TOR isn't giving him up. The rest of that team is garbage. A deal for a PF has to be in the works....at least I hope.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not sure, I was using Monroe as an example as I've read DET will not let him go without getting something in return. Maybe it takes multiple moves or adding a 3rd team as a facilitator. I just think PHX is looking to deal Bledsoe now, I understand why Thomas would be valuable, both Dragic & Bledsoe missed a significant amount of games due to injuries. Had we had both for the whole season, PHX would have definitely made the playoffs. The only thing is as many pointed out having 3 PG's as your Top 3 salaries makes no sense particularly since PHX just drafted a pretty good PG in last month's draft. I could see PHX dealing Ennis but TOR has no one on their roster that would help PHX except DeRozen but TOR isn't giving him up. The rest of that team is garbage. A deal for a PF has to be in the works....at least I hope.

Exactly. Teams don't exactly win titles building around PGs.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Jonas Valanciunas, Amir Johnson, Terrence Ross.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Wow, I do not believe Thomas will get $10+ million a year. Obviously I could be wrong, but I'm thinking more like $6.5 or $8 tops.

Me as well. That's a huge overpay for someone like Thomas. Come on, seriously?

:sad:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me as well. That's a huge overpay for someone like Thomas. Come on, seriously?

:sad:

How so? Have you watched him play much? I really haven't but going solely by stats and PER, this guy looks like a lock to make at least 9 or 10 million a year. I have no idea if he'd be a good fit for us but I'll be shocked if he settles in the 7 million range.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Another board is saying that Sacramento media is saying that Thomas will be signing with us shortly. Take it as you will.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I have seen him 3-4 times vs. The Suns. Had no idea a slightly above average player earns that kind of salary.

I'd rather we develop Goodwin and Ennis than tie up money and a rotation spot on a tiny guard. Especially considering how weak we are inside.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cavs sign LeBron....we react by signing Isaiah Thomas lmao.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen him 3-4 times vs. The Suns. Had no idea a slightly above average player earns that kind of salary.

I'd rather we develop Goodwin and Ennis than tie up money and a rotation spot on a tiny guard. Especially considering how weak we are inside.

I don't know what he is but his stats say he is more than a slightly above average player. He's 4th at his position on Hollinger's list and his PER at Basketball Reference has him just above Bledsoe and just below Dragic. I don't really see the need for him either as I'd prefer to develop our young guards but that has no bearing on what his market value might be.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't know what he is but his stats say he is more than a slightly above average player. He's 4th at his position on Hollinger's list and his PER at Basketball Reference has him just above Bledsoe and just below Dragic. I don't really see the need for him either as I'd prefer to develop our young guards but that has no bearing on what his market value might be.

Steve
I'd rather go with Archie Goodwin's potential in the rotation next season than Thomas', especially now that the LeBron circus has ended.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I can't see Thomas coming here to be a backup so if we sign him, trading one of Dragic or Bledsoe would be in the works. Who knows whats up... maybe he wanted to work out for us and McD decided why not, it would make everyone wonder what the heck he was up to.

Guy changes direction as quick as any PG I've ever seen and slips thru the tiniest seam.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 minutes of highlights... all from 1 game where he was offensively on fire & not a single defensive highlight in the mix.

I'm guessing he's just insurance in case someone offers Bledsoe the max because I don't think the Suns will match that offer with Bled's injury history.

Maybe a return to SSOL type basketball. The Suns seem to be going after these type players.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
5 minutes of highlights... all from 1 game where he was offensively on fire & not a single defensive highlight in the mix.

I'm guessing he's just insurance in case someone offers Bledsoe the max because I don't think the Suns will match that offer with Bled's injury history.

He's a better offensive player than Bledsoe, and he's done it for more than half a season.

Fun fact on Thomas. In his 3 seasons he has had the exact same TS% every year. And at .574, not too shabby.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison