Sorting the Wide Receivers; Part Three

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It’s certainly possible a few of these guys could go in round 2, especially Corley who’s getting a lot of buzz. Most of these guys run good routes and don’t shy away from contact. Typically there is some issue which has dropped them to this level. Nonetheless some of these guys will likely be productive.

Jermaine Burton is typical of this group. He’d rate up a tier if it were not for his behavioral problem. I can’t imagine Ossenfort and Gannon taking this guy with a pole of any length. It started in 2022 when Bama lost at Tennessee and students ran on the field. Burton hit a female Tennessee student, possibly intentionally, though denied. Burton was also noted for untimely penalties. Plus it has been mentioned he liked to taunt opposing players, sometimes excessively. If you still want to consider him, he’s solid on contested catches. He has excellent speed and understands how to see gaps in zones. Aside from being volatile, Burton tends to dog it when he’s not the primary receiver.

Malachi Corley is a popular smaller school choice. He has outstanding game speed and consistently delivers YAC. He is a willing blocker. Corley has great field vision and rarely drops a catchable pass. He’s a exceptional possession option. He needs to make sharper cuts to improve separation. He tends to body catch on long throws.

Ladd McConkey has only mediocre speed, but he times throws well, running under deep passes. He is quick off the snap offering early separation. McConkey is a solid teammate willing to give it up to make a block. He has good hands and shows them on bad passes. He doesn’t accelerate smoothly after making a catch.

Devontez Walker helped make Maye enjoy a fine season. He’s more quick than fast, but he’ll get ample YAC. He has good body control giving him an outstanding catch radius. His lack of speed means he’ll have to adjust to tighter coverage. He’s likely just a possession receiver.

Brenden Rice isn’t his dad, but he’s really good. He has speed and is also quick. Rice is aggressive and mostly successful on contested catches. He boasts excellent YAC numbers. I like the way he plays biggest in big games. He’s generally underrated because he’s always compared to his dad. He struggled when pressed. He could go in round 2.

Ja’Lynn Polk is not fast but he’s effective inside & out. He gets solid YAC. He has good body control with solid hands. He’s very hard to press. Polk adjusts well to poor throws. He should be a good possession receiver. He doesn’t see zone gaps consistently. If he were fast he’d be in round 2.

Roman Wilson will help somebody. He played in the wrong offense. He’s fast, quick and has good hands. He consistently high points balls. He needs to work on concentration as he makes unnecessary drops. If he’d have played in an aggressive passing offense he’d go much earlier. He’s hard, therefore, to project

Tyler Harrell is the ultimate sleeper. I have no clue what round he’ll go in. I do know he may post the best speed when tested. It’s not just track speed, he can burst through a hole and be gone. He barely played his first 2 years at Louisville then broke out posting an incredible 29 yards per catch. He transferred to Alabama but was hurt and little used. He transfer to Miami of Florida. There he was again dogged by injuries and ineffective QB play. He can deliver YAC. It’s hard to tell what limitations were cause by injury and what issues were caused by effort. If this guy every stays healthy and the light go on, he could be scary good.

Another sleeper name to watch is De’Corian Clark. He tore his ACL and the initial surgery did not go well. He was a solid prospect (round 3-4) and if the medicals are favorable he’ll be a late round gamble worth taking.

Reaction score
Are you sure you're not confusing someone else with Tez Walker? He is known as the fastest guy on the team, 4.3 range. He had no trouble beating people deep.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Are you sure you're not confusing someone else with Tez Walker? He is known as the fastest guy on the team, 4.3 range. He had no trouble beating people deep.
His flat speed is fine. So when he runs a seam he looks okay. When he makes a cut his speed diminishes greatly. The same is true when he’s pressed. It’s mostly the difference between track speed and game speed.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Brenden Rice is my guy . Right attributes. Right attitude.
Lots to like but hard to take early 2 and by 3 he’s likely gone. To get him they likely have to move up to the middle of 2 from what I’m hearing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Corley is a guy I'd want later, like round three but I bet some team drafts him in the second round.

He's a dog, you see it on the film.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
He's probably a day 3 guy, but I really like Moose Muhamed III. Any thoughts on him as a later round sleeper?

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
He is a day 3 guy in all probability. Still he could make it. Legacy guys are always worth considering in my mind. He lacks top end speed and when he gets deep he often body catches. He’ll fight for a pass and get decent YAC. He just needs polish and concentration. Routes are a little sloppy. He needs to sharpen cuts to get better separation. If a team is patient they could get a decent possession receiver.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Lots to like but hard to take early 2 and by 3 he’s likely gone. To get him they likely have to move up to the middle of 2 from what I’m hearing.
the more I watch this guy the more I like. catches with his fingertips, arms extended.. breaks tackles, runs pristine routes, very tough runner.
he actually reminds me of Anquan Boldin...and honestly, if we pick Alt at 4, I would be fine picking Rice with the Texans pick.
Kid looks like a future all pro

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Rice went to Hamilton High School with my kids here in Chandler. Local boy.
True.
I'm not certain if coming home to play is a good thing or a bad thing. But since he seems to be a good kid my guess is his influences aren't bad

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson