Pryor and the supplemental draft

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he's there in round 5, which I doubt, the Cards better take him. Heck, they took a one-dimensional blocking FB/ST in round 5 this year. I think someone will get antsy and grab him in round 3, maybe Oakland. The guy had some issues taking money/selling stuff but he's never been in legal or drug trouble. It's not like all these guys are choir boys entering the NFL. The 2 main question marks with Pryor are his throwing ability and leadership ability. Young, Tebow, and Kaepenick show teams will take a QB with questionable throwing skills with the hope they can be coached up. The leadeship thing is his issue. He's a hard worker but kind of did things on his own schedule and put himself before the team. I'm sure alot of college stars do that though. Teams that I think will show interest in him:
Has he ever played in anything resembling a passing offense? I would add concerns of mental throwing ability to the concerns over the physical stuff.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well at least it would be easy to get Pryor to sign.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
If he's there in round 5, which I doubt, the Cards better take him. Heck, they took a one-dimensional blocking FB/ST in round 5 this year. I think someone will get antsy and grab him in round 3, maybe Oakland. The guy had some issues taking money/selling stuff but he's never been in legal or drug trouble. It's not like all these guys are choir boys entering the NFL. The 2 main question marks with Pryor are his throwing ability and leadership ability. Young, Tebow, and Kaepenick show teams will take a QB with questionable throwing skills with the hope they can be coached up. The leadeship thing is his issue. He's a hard worker but kind of did things on his own schedule and put himself before the team. I'm sure alot of college stars do that though. Teams that I think will show interest in him:

OAK- they take chances on talented players.
ARI- probably not a Whiz-type player but he looked at Newton.
NO- He could go there and learn from one of the best in Brees.
PITT- hometown kid, Charlie Batch was active in his HS recruitment and they need a project to develop for Ben insurance.
MIA-they have Henne
IND-same as NO and Polian likes big 10 players.
BUF-they signed TO so who knows.
CIN-Mike Brown loves OSU and they have a track record of taking guys with chraracter issues.
SD-who backs up Rivers?
I would say Minny but Rick Spielman is the GM and Chris's brother and Chris can't stand Pryor.

I still don't see Pryor as an NFL QB, not even a backup. He's an athlete that played QB in college not a passer IMO. I feel like any team that takes him is going to tell him if he's going to play QB at all it's going to be out of the wildcat. If he isn't ok with that he isn't going to make it in this league IMO.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Driving a borrowed car to a meeting on a suspended license, even after $hit hit the fan where every beat reporter was eying every move he made shows either unfathomable arrogance or that he is a complete idiot. Neither a very impressive reflection on him. I would draft him right around the same place I would draft the Pakistani Intelligence Agency.

And then making a right turn on a red light without stopping knowing full well he was being filmed.

To me it's just like Newton, the odds that he gets in trouble in the NFL are just too high for me to have any interest. He's just not good enough to bother with given the potential downside.

it will be interesting to watch his agent and handlers give him the OJ Mayo/ Cam Newton wash and wax before the supplemental draft though.

Before you know it he'll be wearing conservative suits, glasses and saying yes sir on camera all the time.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow!

Look at these Big 10 players:

Simeon Rice Indiana called us the armpit of the NFL
Tom Knight Iowa was the armpit of CBs
David Boston Ohio State Roided his way out of the NFL
Wendall "Big Bust" Bryant Wisconsin
Bryant "Skillet Hands" Johnson Penn State
Levi "Leonard Davis Jr." Brown Penn State
Beanie "I don't run so" Wells Ohio State

Every Big 10 player taken in the first round by the Cards has been a bust.

Oh wait. Every player, except Larry Fitzgerald, taken in the first round from any conference has been a bust. So nevermind.

:D

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Wow!

Oh wait. Every player, except Larry Fitzgerald, taken in the first round from any conference has been a bust. So nevermind.

Apparently, we're only successful taking players from the south (Dockett, Boldin, Dansby, ADub, DRC, Toler). Anyone from anywhere else is a bust. Good omen for PP7.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow!

Simeon Rice played at Illinois ;)

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I would think about using a later pick on him. 4th would be good, but I think I'm more interested in LT Adams if he comes out in the supplemental draft.

We have enough problems without a Pryor on this team. Anyone who has a sense of who Mr B is knows hell would freeze over before he would allow Pryor on this team.

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned but

via Twitter

@KevinOnCFB: Saskatchewan Roughriders acquire negotiating rights to Terrelle Pryor. #CFL

TopGun

Registered
Reaction score
Kent Somers
Kent Somers' blog appears on azcentral.com. Kent covers the Arizona Cardinals for The Arizona Republic.
Burress, Pryor not expected to land in Arizona

Arizona Cardinals update:

I expect the Cardinals' level of interest in acquiring receiver Plaxico Burress or quarterback/receiver/whatever Terrelle Pryor is almost zero with little chance of rising.

Burress was released from prison this week after serving nearly two years on gun charges. He turns 34 in August. Even when he played, he wasn't known for his strong work ethic.

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt knows Burress well, having coached in Pittsburgh during four of Burress' seasons there. I've never heard of Whisenhunt having a problem with Burress, but I also don't think the coach views Burress as the kind of veteran he needs to add to the Cardinals roster.

Burress also plays the 'X' position, which is Larry Fitzgerald's spot. The 'Z' position usually lines up inside more than the 'X' and is called upon to block more. It's questionable if Burress can fill that role.

Whisenhunt and his staff like the current mix they have at receiver, although the Cardinals do have questions there. Starter Steve Breaston is not under contract, and Fitzgerald's deal expires after this year. I don't think, however, the Cardinals view adding an old receiver with a prison record and a questionable work ethic as a viable back up plan.

I don't think the Cardinals will be interested in taking Pryor in the supplemental draft. The consensus opinion of scouts and coaches seems to be that he needs a ton of work to become a competent NFL quarterback. It would also take time to move him to another position, perhaps receiver. I think the Cardinals will pass.

Stout

Reaction score
Rosenhaus, not even YOU can BS this one...

:biglaugh:

NFL | Terrelle Pryor's agent expects him to be first round pick
Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:57:46 -0700

Drew Rosenhaus, agent for Ohio State QB Terrelle Pryor, said he expects Pryor to be taken in the first round of the 2011 NFL Supplemental Draft. "He is one of the most gifted quarterbacks that the NFL has seen. For anyone who questions where he's going to be drafted, I expect him to be a first-round pick in the supplemental draft," Rosenhaus said.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

OAK- they take chances on talented players.
ARI- probably not a Whiz-type player but he looked at Newton.
NO- He could go there and learn from one of the best in Brees.
PITT- hometown kid, Charlie Batch was active in his HS recruitment and they need a project to develop for Ben insurance.
MIA-they have Henne
IND-same as NO and Polian likes big 10 players.
BUF-they signed TO so who knows.
CIN-Mike Brown loves OSU and they have a track record of taking guys with chraracter issues.
SD-who backs up Rivers?
I would say Minny but Rick Spielman is the GM and Chris's brother and Chris can't stand Pryor.

As I recall after the draft there were words spoken that lead me to believe the Cardinals would have chosen Newton over Peterson.

Also it seems everyone was down on Michael Vick and now he seems to be highly regarded. I think disregarding Terrelle Pryor is being overly righteous. Why shouldn't the Cardinals consider him unless they are getting Kolb.

Stout

Reaction score
As I recall after the draft there were words spoken that lead me to believe the Cardinals would have chosen Newton over Peterson.

Also it seems everyone was down on Michael Vick and now he seems to be highly regarded. I think disregarding Terrelle Pryor is being overly righteous. Why shouldn't the Cardinals consider him unless they are getting Kolb.

Because he'll be an awful QB?

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score

Considering him is one thing. Bringing a guy into your locker room who has already proven he's willing to do things in his own self interest that he knows can take down his team and his coach if he's caught, is another.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I would only use a third day pick on Pryor; IMO the risk of using a 5th rounder on him is low enough that the potential rewards are worth it.

Some team will use a higher pick though, so it's probably a moot point.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

NFL | Terrelle Pryor's agent expects him to be first round pick
Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:57:46 -0700

Drew Rosenhaus, agent for Ohio State QB Terrelle Pryor, said he expects Pryor to be taken in the first round of the 2011 NFL Supplemental Draft. "He is one of the most gifted quarterbacks that the NFL has seen. For anyone who questions where he's going to be drafted, I expect him to be a first-round pick in the supplemental draft," Rosenhaus said.

Playing Devil's Advocate for a minute, but Rosenhaus rarely takes on clients who are mid-to-low draft picks. There is little money in it for him as his 3-5% cut +/- would be minuscule when compared to commission from guys like Dockett. Perhaps he has been tipped off by teams that there is interest for him in at least the 2nd round and he's merely stirring the pot to raise his value by announcing press conferences alongside Pryor to "apologize to Tressel and OSU."

Stout

Reaction score
Playing Devil's Advocate for a minute, but Rosenhaus rarely takes on clients who are mid-to-low draft picks. There is little money in it for him as his 3-5% cut +/- would be minuscule when compared to commission from guys like Dockett. Perhaps he has been tipped off by teams that there is interest for him in at least the 2nd round and he's merely stirring the pot to raise his value by announcing press conferences alongside Pryor to "apologize to Tressel and OSU."

I have a different idea. Rosenhaus hasn't been heard from in the media lately, and hasn't been getting all the coverage he has in the past. Now, all of a sudden, his face has been plastered all over the sports news. If he manages to get a team to take Pryor in the 1st round of the supplemental draft, which has about as much chance to happen as me landing on the moon, he's solid gold. If not, he's gotten a ton of media exposure, and he can tell prospective clients that he managed to get Pryor drafted higher than where he would have been otherwise. It's a win-win proposition, really.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I have a different idea. Rosenhaus hasn't been heard from in the media lately, and hasn't been getting all the coverage he has in the past. Now, all of a sudden, his face has been plastered all over the sports news. If he manages to get a team to take Pryor in the 1st round of the supplemental draft, which has about as much chance to happen as me landing on the moon, he's solid gold. If not, he's gotten a ton of media exposure, and he can tell prospective clients that he managed to get Pryor drafted higher than where he would have been otherwise. It's a win-win proposition, really.

Rosenhaus' reputation has already been solidified: one of the best, most cutthroat agents in the business. He already has a long list of success stories (about as long as his list of clients). One if which is convincing the Bills to select Willis McGahee in the first round, who had a shredded knee and almost didnt play his rookie year. He has experience taking players with red flags and seemingly hiding them to enhance their value and perception.

I can say almost with certainty that this isn't to add to his sales pitch to future players. All Drew has to say to a prospective client is, "I'm Drew Rosenhaus! Sign here." Why would he waste his time, which he could devote to helping his current clients get endorsement deals, setting up a press conference for Pryor to announce he is entering the Supplemental Draft?

Rosenhaus has his ear to the ground and has a good idea about what teams are doing and thinking, sometimes before they even do. That's what differentiates him from other agents. He has sources, just like the media. Why do you think he spends so much time at or around owner's and GM's meetings?

I don't believe Pryor goes in the 1st round, but the more I think about it, the more I believe at least one team is going to throw in a 2nd round bid.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It's all going to depend on how he works out. If he throws the ball well someone will take a chance on him early. Tebow was never a 1st round pick until he changed his throwing motion. Pryor definitely has more baggage but it only takes 1 team to like him. I don't think he'll get past round 3.