Preaseason Game 2 Suns vs Warriors

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Frye with 2 3 pointers to start the game. :)

That is nice to see. He looks really clean and natural shooting it as well. Our offense will be terrific this year, but thats never been the issue.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Channing Frye is playing out of his mind right now.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
frye looks good. maybe a bit too trigger happy at times.
dragic looks confident, but still doesnt have a sure handle.
amare does not look in all-star game shape, it'll come with time.
hill looks weird with hair.lol

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
curry looks better than i expected, especially his vision. man he has a quick release.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish the Suns would have signed Dickau for their 13th roster player instead of Griffin. Dickau just seems comfortable running the Suns offense. However, the Suns really need another big man. Clark looks like he will develop at the 4/5 but it is a lot to put on a rookie. Frye did a nice job at center.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
From one pre-season game I have concluded:

• Clark should not take another jumpshot the rest of pre-season. He needs to play in the paint and above the rim, and leave the outside shooting as a secondary option. Right now it is his default and it is the last thing he, or this team, needs. Clark also needs to work on his hands when getting passes and securing rebounds. I think he has a long way to go and we wont be seeing any reliability from him at any time before the allstar break, maybe this whole season. He is much too soft and needs to be eating nails by the allstar break as well.
  • Griffin is a lot more agile and stronger than I thought and should show us some solid defense and rebounding from the 3 spot.
  • Grant hustling like a 9 year old on a sugar high. Seriously wtf.
  • Tucker is unfortunately a lost cause at this point.
  • Dragic did well and I expect nothing but constant improvement throughout this season.Once he develops the intangibles of controlling a game he should start to manifest into the hype that surrounded him.
  • Amare didnt command the ball that much. I thought he would be out to dominate the game tonight. The PnR didnt seem to be very effective either.
  • The offense was very clogged at the top of the key. The paint wasnt nearly as open as it should be with our new offense. JRich should have had at least 3 alley oops tonight, and the NashAmare game was nearly nonexistent. Frye needs to camp the 3 point line or baseline arc more often in the regular season.
  • Speaking of offense, why weren't we running isolation plays for 6'6 225lb JRich when he was being guarded by 6'3 180lb Monta Ellis the whole first freaking quarter.
  • Dudley did right.
  • Lou was Lou and I love it.
  • Frye has to be thanking every deity in history for the opportunity he has stumbled upon here. Watch the fouls.
  • I hope nash is at 50% because if he was giving any more than that tonight I am worried out this season.
  • Barbosa didnt seem 100% and was very turnover prone, which he seemed to be improving upon last season. I hope this to change soon.
  • We are really going to need Robin Lopez this year and it tears me up inside that I have to say that.
  • We are definitely going to need the rest of the weeks of preseason to get where we need to be.
  • Can chemistry be too good?

Last edited:

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
interesting game.. there was 1 thing I took away from this game.

Channing Frye may end up being the best F.A. pickup of the summer :D

krazyasiankid

Registered
Reaction score
interesting game.. there was 1 thing I took away from this game.

Channing Frye may end up being the best F.A. pickup of the summer :D

I really hope you are right... If ONLY Channing can put on some more beef over the season, and develop a inside presence to match his outside shooting, he will be a great center for us.

The biggest worry for me is, Earl Clark got 5 fouls in 24 minutes....o_O

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is only one game but I don't think we are going to see massive changes from what we saw after the first pre-season game except for probably more fluidity in the offensive as the team continues to gel together.

Clark - I have to agree this guy's shot is ugly. Wow. He was impressive at how aggressive he was when playing some defense but his shot needs work. I think heavy doses of playing time still might be in the cards because I think Lopez is a complete stiff.

Dragic - Not impressive. I still don't see any improvement out of him unless you count the fact he looks less timid. He shot 37% and only had 2 assists in 20 minutes. The more I see this guy play the more convinced I am he is not our future. My draft day prediction that Lopez/Dragic probably wouldn't amount to much seems to be coming to pass with each day.

Dan Dikau - I would like to see a heavy does of Dan Dikau before pre-season is out to see what he can do. I think this guy "might" be able to contribute on this team more then Dragic as a backup PG.

Frye/Clark/Amare - The foul situation might be a huge problem this season. Between Nash getting blown bye constantly and these guys being foul prone we could use another big body just to use up fouls. I guess Lopez could fill that role but frankly I cringe with the thought of this guy getting any significant playing time.

Nash - I don't remember the last time I have seen him look less engaged in a game. It might be just one of those vet things and playing in pre-season but he didn't look good.

Amare - didn't look all that hungry to me out there. He just looked like he was deferring to other guys like he did at the the start of last year. For a guy talking about being a leader...he really didn't impress. 30 minutes and only 5 rebounds. Frye played 7 less minutes and had 2 more rebounds. Clark played 5 less minutes and had 1 more rebound. I wish Amare would be a "leader" on the boards. I also didn't see Amare play much defense. He let a couple easy layups happen right in his face when he was playing C/F with Frye out.

JRich - he looked good to me. Seemed more active but I don't like that they didn't recognize alot of mismatches I thought he had.

Barbs - looked good to me. Shot 40% and didn't make alot of mistakes.

Amundson - great on the boards in limited minutes. Didn't really see any improvement that he supposedly has made with a shooting coach.

Grant - still a freak of nature playing like he is.

Dudley - needs more minutes.

Starters vs. Bench - This team is going to be a little schizophrenic I think this season. First off I think the 2nd unit might be better defensively but much worse offensively. We are going to depend on Barbs big time. When most of our starters are out this team is going to struggle to score if Barbs isn't getting points. I have a feeling we are going to be rotating in Nash/Amare/Grant early alot this season because of offensive problems from the bench which isn't a good proposition.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This wasn't just a preseason game, this was the first game against NBA-level competition these guys had since last May. AND it was outdoors on national television. AND it was against a Warriors team with only 10 guys suited up, so they didn't play their 3rd unit for nearly as long as they would have had they had all 12.

Heck, this game was more telling about the performance of the replacement officials than it was for us. There are some good things and some bad things about it--but it certainly didn't show us an identity yet. You guys are giving generalized statements about how the team is going to be this season based on this one game? Ridiculous.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
I thought Frye and Hill were impresive. We dont deserve Grant Hill.

I thought Amare, Dragic and Clark played like crap.

Everyone else was just their usual selves.

sunsallday

Registered
Reaction score
This wasn't just a preseason game, this was the first game against NBA-level competition these guys had since last May. AND it was outdoors on national television. AND it was against a Warriors team with only 10 guys suited up, so they didn't play their 3rd unit for nearly as long as they would have had they had all 12.

Heck, this game was more telling about the performance of the replacement officials than it was for us. There are some good things and some bad things about it--but it certainly didn't show us an identity yet. You guys are giving generalized statements about how the team is going to be this season based on this one game? Ridiculous.

Exactly. I just watched for entertainment not accurate evaluation. Preseason means absolutely nothing and anybody loathing over a preseason loss needs to get a grip.

Nash-sloppy but made some nice passes
J-Rich-seemed more focused on defense and gave effort. That is really all I could ask for. He seems more comfortable
Grant Hill-still Mr. Benjamin Button. Still a great slasher. Could see him averaging 12-14 ppg this year.
Amare-seemed disinterested but, it is preseason. His rust was highly apparent as he dropped some easy passes and seemed out of tune. Hopefully, he will be ready by late October. His jumpshot is still butter and he played solid defense. Although Randolph IMO outplayed him and outrebounded him, Amare did show effort on defense. Even though he wined to the refs and did not run back in time, his defensive effort is much improved. From what I saw, it was better than horrible. It was completely solid. If Amare can play solid defense like he did last night for the whole year, we could be a very, very dangerous team.
Frye-he will make a huge difference for us. His three point shooting will cause big men to move a way from the paint opening up things for Grant, Barbosa, Amare, J-Rich, Nash, and our other slashers.

The bench showed great defense but almost non existent offense. It is preseason so I am not really worried.

Remember guys, it is preseason. So relax.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can't speak for anybody else but my comments are based on camp results and the first game we have seen them play. If you look at what has been said about this team in camp and now in the first preseason game (against a depleted team), did you see any wild variations? I didn't. I also said that start of my post I expect this team to be more fluid as the season went on.

There is nothing wrong with evaluating the team after each game you see and modifying your opinion as the season goes on. I see people posting opinions not people saying what will happen with a 100% certainty.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
I only got to see about 10 minutes of the game and it was the first Ive seen this year and I was surprised at how big Earl Clark looks. His body certainly looks like he could grow into more of a 4 than a 3, very wide shoulders and a big frame which tells me he can add a lot of muscle.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Clark does look like a beast out there. He is about as tall as Amare but with a bigger frame.

He just needs a lot of polish.